Phil Spencer Interview: Xbox Was 'Too Light on Games' in 2022, But a Big 2023 Could Await.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
"Our commitment to our fans is that we need to have a steady release of great games that people can play on our platform, and we didn't do enough of that in 2022, there's no doubt," Spencer told IGN. "And fundamentally, that's on me. I'm the head of the business."

During the interview Spencer also looked ahead to 2023, saying that it was "important to show games, to show dates" in the recent Developer_Direct, and talked more about Xbox's summer showcase plans, though he won't say one way or another whether Xbox will participate in the show. And he talked about the ongoing battle around Xbox's Activision Blizzard acquisition, which he describes as a "learning experience."

Asked whether 2023 is a critical year for Xbox, Spencer said in his typically cagey way "every year is critical." Nevertheless, he also said he feels "good" about Xbox's momentum.

Full Interview below. Phil had lots more to say....
https://sea.ign.com/forza-motorspor...t-on-games-in-2022-but-a-big-2023-could-await

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Fnc4v2MWIAAr8-q

wait until E3.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Await is a word the Xbox fanbase is very accustomed to. E3 2024 is around the corner.

I'm wondering, though, if his wording - or non-wording - regarding E3 could mean MS joining Sony and Nintendo in skipping E3 as such and doing more "Direct" type of shows instead.

24 Jun 2022
"Could"? So he doesn't even know yet? They must really be cutting it close, there.

Makes me think the Starfield being in a rough state rumors are true; they could delay it to late Fall or even out of 2023 altogether. But if it needs the time, give it the time. They can't afford to half-ass its launch.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
"Could"? So he doesn't even know yet? They must really be cutting it close, there.

Makes me think the Starfield being in a rough state rumors are true; they could delay it to late Fall or even out of 2023 altogether. But if it needs the time, give it the time. They can't afford to half-ass its launch.
......and just as you say that. Windows Central is reporting that Starfield is playable from beginning to end, though the release date is not set in stone, is Bethesda polishing the game? since when? Don't think these guys believe in QA, so that rumor might just be damage control.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Heard it all before. Your fanbase will follow you off a cliff so its all good Phil.
Then there dead ghost would praise Phil how good of a fall it was….

24 Jun 2022
......and just as you say that. Windows Central is reporting that Starfield is playable from beginning to end, though the release date is not set in stone, is Bethesda polishing the game? since when? Don't think these guys believe in QA, so that rumor might just be damage control.

Fuc Windows Central. Should be obvious by now they're just an extension of the MS PR machine, so of course they'd say that. Was it Jez Corden who wrote the article? He also said he had "seen" Avowed last year and described it visually in great detail, yet apparently it's not enough to provide some gameplay footage for the rest of us to see?

I'm not high on that dude's farts like many others seem to be.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Fuc Windows Central. Should be obvious by now they're just an extension of the MS PR machine, so of course they'd say that. Was it Jez Corden who wrote the article? He also said he had "seen" Avowed last year and described it visually in great detail, yet apparently it's not enough to provide some gameplay footage for the rest of us to see?

I'm not high on that dude's farts like many others seem to be.
Yes, it was a Jez Corden joint.....If you listen to these guys, Fable, Avowed, Starfield, Everwild, HellBlade 2 are all ready to go and game changers. MS is just debating on the right time to release those bangers...

P

peter42O

2023 is looking great for Microsoft's first party studios -

- HiFi Rush
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
- Ghostwire Tokyo port
- Minecraft Legends
- Redfall
- The Elder Scrolls Online Necrom expansion
- Ara: History Untold
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- Forza Horizon 5 second expansion
- Age of Empires IV port

A billion times better than 2022 in my opinion. Hyped!!! 😂

D

Deleted member 417

- HiFi Rush
- Ghostwire Tokyo port
- Minecraft Legends
- Redfall
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- Age of Empires IV port

I remember when the list wars were of good first party exclusives.

What happened to you Microsoft? You used to be cool.

P

peter42O

I remember when the list wars were of good first party exclusives.

What happened to you Microsoft? You used to be cool.

Just because some of the games aren't for you doesn't mean that they're bad.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

- HiFi Rush
- Ghostwire Tokyo port
- Minecraft Legends
- Redfall
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- Age of Empires IV port

I'm sorry, but that's a sad list. I mean Age of Empires II and IV, these games could be played on back compat no? Ghostwire has already released on other platforms, An elder scrolls online expansion, a forza expansion? These are not new games, GT7 releases new content all the time and nobody lists that.....And what exactly is ARA?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

- HiFi Rush
- Ghostwire Tokyo port
- Minecraft Legends
- Redfall
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- Age of Empires IV port

That's a solid list right there.

Bethesda's first true release as a first party has been received incredibly well so far, I expect more of the same from their other games releasing this year and games their studios like Machine Games etc release afterward.

Perhaps MS will repeat history like 2021 and win publisher of the year again. 💚

P

peter42O

I'm sorry, but that's a sad list. I mean Age of Empires II and IV, these games could be played on back compat no? Ghostwire has already released on other platforms, An elder scrolls online expansion, a forza expansion? These are not new games, GT7 releases new content all the time and nobody lists that.....And what exactly is ARA?

AOE 2 is coming to Xbox consoles and AOE 4 is a brand new game released in October 2021 for PC with an Xbox console release slated for Fall 2023. Ara is 4X real time strategy game. Ghostwire is a port for Xbox due to the timed exclusivity Sony had. I never said they were all new games. I said that they were what was releasing from first party this year.

Just because you and others here aren't into these games or whatever doesn't mean that they don't exist or that they aren't or won't be good. Compared to 2022, Microsoft has a lot more games and content which is all I was saying.

That's a solid list right there.

Bethesda's first true release as a first party has been received incredibly well so far, I expect more of the same from their other games releasing this year and games their studios like Machine Games etc release afterward.

Perhaps MS will repeat history like 2021 and win publisher of the year again. 💚

Agreed. 2020 launch and 2022 belonged to Sony. 2021 and 2023 will belong to Microsoft.

Once I finish Dead Space, I'll play HiFi Rush before Hogwarts Legacy comes out and im hyped for Redfall in May followed by Diablo IV in June. Can't speak for anyone else but im going to have one hell of a year.

• party
Reactions: adamsapple

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Agreed. 2020 launch and 2022 belonged to Sony. 2021 and 2023 will belong to Microsoft.

Once I finish Dead Space, I'll play HiFi Rush before Hogwarts Legacy comes out and im hyped for Redfall in May followed by Diablo IV in June. Can't speak for anyone else but im going to have one hell of a year.

It's a good year to be a gamer. Bit tent-pole releases across the board.