Phil Spencer Interview: Xbox Was 'Too Light on Games' in 2022, But a Big 2023 Could Await.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
"Our commitment to our fans is that we need to have a steady release of great games that people can play on our platform, and we didn't do enough of that in 2022, there's no doubt," Spencer told IGN. "And fundamentally, that's on me. I'm the head of the business."

During the interview Spencer also looked ahead to 2023, saying that it was "important to show games, to show dates" in the recent Developer_Direct, and talked more about Xbox's summer showcase plans, though he won't say one way or another whether Xbox will participate in the show. And he talked about the ongoing battle around Xbox's Activision Blizzard acquisition, which he describes as a "learning experience."

Asked whether 2023 is a critical year for Xbox, Spencer said in his typically cagey way "every year is critical." Nevertheless, he also said he feels "good" about Xbox's momentum.

Full Interview below. Phil had lots more to say....
https://sea.ign.com/forza-motorspor...t-on-games-in-2022-but-a-big-2023-could-await
Showing dates doesn’t mean shit when you keep pushing dates back.

Reactions: thelastword
24 Jun 2022
2023 is looking great for Microsoft's first party studios -

- HiFi Rush
- Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
- Ghostwire Tokyo port
- Minecraft Legends
- Redfall
- The Elder Scrolls Online Necrom expansion
- Ara: History Untold
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- Forza Horizon 5 second expansion
- Age of Empires IV port

A billion times better than 2022 in my opinion. Hyped!!! 😂

I mean if we're counting ports and expansions to pad the list out then we gotta be fair, right? 😉Just bringing it up because some other folks only focus on new releases when talking Sony's stuff (when they want to do list comparisons). Xbox does have some good 1P stuff coming thing year, that's true. But so does PlayStation:

-Horizon: Call of the Mountain
-Horizon Forbidden West expansion
-MLB The Show
-GT7 PSVR2 support (expansion?)
-Stellar Blade (they are the publisher and have been helping with development)
-Spiderman 2
-Destiny 2 expansion
-Ultimate Sackboy (mobile)
-GOWR NG+ (kinda cheeky, but it does bring new game options & changes like 2018's NG+)
-Returnal PC port

Honestly though, I tend to not count ports or "simple" DLC or small expansions, so from both lists I'd scratch off the AoE IV port, GOWR NG+, Returnal PC port and potentially the GT7 VR support upgrade (although that will probably be transformative for people able to play it on PSVR2, I'm jelly). It's really more about the big mass-market releases though in terms of what is going to drive the most impact, so that comes down to Starfield and Spiderman 2 for Xbox & PS, respectively.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

- HiFi Rush
- Ghostwire Tokyo port
- Minecraft Legends
- Redfall
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- Age of Empires IV port

Starfield is the big one for me, I think that is probably the one that most people and outlets will be looking forward to the most.

I really wanna see more of the perk trees dammit and specifically some of the companions that might be in the game.

And I want my VATS, want to target those Green- space-Rats right down to individual body parts :love:

Reactions: peter42O

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Starfield is the big one for me, I think that is probably the one that most people and outlets will be looking forward to the most.

I really wanna see more of the perk trees dammit and specifically some of the companions that might be in the game.

And I want my VATS, want to target those Green- space-Rats right down to individual body parts :love:
Spider Man will be biggest fall game. Starfield is out of the equation.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

From the little we've seen of the social aspects (outside of combat) it does look like Bethesda's take on Mass Effect.

Hoping the game has more friendly alien variety and not just humans and robots populating the galaxy.

Reactions: Sircaw

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Spider Man will be biggest fall game. Starfield is out of the equation.
By this point, unless there’s a miraculous reversal of fortune in sales, no Xbox exclusive is going to touch most PlayStation exclusives, because there just aren’t enough Xboxes being bought.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
By this point, unless there’s a miraculous reversal of fortune in sales, no Xbox exclusive is going to touch most PlayStation exclusives, because there just aren’t enough Xboxes being bought.
not like we gonna get any numbers anyways.
FH5 sold 800k on release date and we never got update.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
From the little we've seen of the social aspects (outside of combat) it does look like Bethesda's take on Mass Effect.

Hoping the game has more friendly alien variety and not just humans and robots populating the galaxy.
to be honest, the game could have a million different dlcs with all the undicovered planets out there, alien forna could be in the millions.

Its the public mod team that could really make this game shine, in say 5-10 years after release there will probably be scores of incredibly gifted mods being produced by the public, that being said i think mods are more of a PC thing, and not a console thing.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Showing dates doesn’t mean shit when you keep pushing dates back.
The crazy thing is, 2023 is not a date. That's a year, If MS said Starfield is releasing March 23rd 2023, or Forza would be releasing November 5th 2023, these would be dates. Yet when they give vague schedules like Late 2022 to Early 2023, you're not even sure of when exactly, it's also easier for MS to further delay from a release window without telling persons anything.....they will just keep reeling persons in with another trailer, with clear signs of struggle....and says its coming along.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

- HiFi Rush
- Ghostwire Tokyo port
- Minecraft Legends
- Redfall
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- Age of Empires IV port

Why do you list every single port, dlc, expansion you can find? Do you see anyone listing all the Destiny seasons, GT7 DLC, VR modes and PC ports on the Sony side to pad a list?

VR games and Burning Shores DLC should 100% be there but people still don't count them. Why?

P

peter42O

I mean if we're counting ports and expansions to pad the list out then we gotta be fair, right? 😉Just bringing it up because some other folks only focus on new releases when talking Sony's stuff (when they want to do list comparisons). Xbox does have some good 1P stuff coming thing year, that's true. But so does PlayStation:

-Horizon: Call of the Mountain
-Horizon Forbidden West expansion
-MLB The Show
-GT7 PSVR2 support (expansion?)
-Stellar Blade (they are the publisher and have been helping with development)
-Spiderman 2
-Destiny 2 expansion
-Ultimate Sackboy (mobile)
-GOWR NG+ (kinda cheeky, but it does bring new game options & changes like 2018's NG+)
-Returnal PC port

Honestly though, I tend to not count ports or "simple" DLC or small expansions, so from both lists I'd scratch off the AoE IV port, GOWR NG+, Returnal PC port and potentially the GT7 VR support upgrade (although that will probably be transformative for people able to play it on PSVR2, I'm jelly). It's really more about the big mass-market releases though in terms of what is going to drive the most impact, so that comes down to Starfield and Spiderman 2 for Xbox & PS, respectively.

Why do you list every single port, dlc, expansion you can find? Do you see anyone listing all the Destiny seasons, GT7 DLC, VR modes and PC ports on the Sony side to pad a list?

VR games and Burning Shores DLC should 100% be there but people still don't count them. Why?

I was simply comparing Microsoft's 2023 lineup to their near non-existent 2022 lineup. Sony has a lot of stuff too.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters
P

peter42O

Yeah, Starfield is definitely the big one even though im personally more hyped for Redfall. With me having so much in the first half of 2023, im hoping Starfield is November.

Reactions: Sircaw

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Sony is on FIRE in 2023:

Destiny 2 Lightfall for PS5
Destiny 2 Lightfall for Xbox
Destiny 2 Lightfall for PC
Returnal PC
Little Big Planet 1 PC
Little Big Planet 2 PC
Little Big Planet 3 PC
Spiderman
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2 PC
FF16
Forspoken
Forspoken PC
Horizon FW Expansion
VR
30 VR Games
New controller
Firmware update 5.0
GT7 Season 4
Destiny 2 Lightfall Season pass 1-4
Lightfall updates and patches

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony is on FIRE in 2023:

Destiny 2 Lightfall for PS5
Destiny 2 Lightfall for Xbox
Destiny 2 Lightfall for PC
Returnal PC
Little Big Planet 1 PC
Little Big Planet 2 PC
Little Big Planet 3 PC
Spiderman
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2 PC
FF16
Forspoken
Forspoken PC
Horizon FW Expansion
VR
30 VR Games
New controller
Firmware update 5.0
GT7 Season 4
Destiny 2 Lightfall Season pass 1-4
Lightfall updates and patches
Stellar Blade
Helldivers 2
Ghost of Tsushima PC
TLOU PART 1 PC
TLOU2 PC
Metal Gear Remake
Psygnosis Amiga Collection
Lemmings Remaster
Marathon the Sequel

Publisher of year 2022, 2023 and beyond.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
honestly, 2022 proved MS wasn't serious about this whole gaming thing. I know people are trying to lay it on thick with HiFi Rush hoping they'll fool a few people, but things are really dire on Xbox in 2023 as well. I see nothing of value on the horizon with concrete dates.

not even Starfield is promised, as of right now. No date in sight.