Phil Spencer on what the hell is happening in the games industry, exclusives becoming a risky business & lack of growth in industry leading to layoffs

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yes, Director of Publishing @larianstudios.

He does a lot of the Larian communication.

If Sony had any sense they would buy Larian and replace all their executives with these guys. They are not posers like Phil Spencer just people that clearly care about the games they make.
LOL, imagine actual devs making fun of you. Holy shit, I'd never show my face in public again.

Sony really needs to get on this studio. WRPGs is what they're missing.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
This man out here trying to save his job badly. He is trying anything for survival.In the process destroyed Xbox division.It's a man in quicksand sinking he's just saying anything for help.Now he's calling steam & Epic for help.Where was this talk last gen. Now its important to stick together. We saw your emails outspend Sony ,consolidate ,gamepass ,paywall schemes.

The awareness level of this guy is crazy. Shameless guy.

He spent at least 10 gens budget worth on COD just to console war. And is still losing.Xbox aint got any more budget. Series S/X gen is over. It's literally the same as last gen. Made mistake with DRM, They blew money on Tomb Raider exclusive ,1X. And then got stomped when PS rolled out the PS4 exclusives. It's same thing again.Series S & then just spent a ridiculous 80 billion.

2026 was the year they cut this division right?? I think it might be next year. If the GTA numbers are dogshite it's over for them in 2025

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
It's something they absolutely have to consider. Especially with Steam deck in the mix too....

The carelessness of PS these days is a huge weakness that could come back to bite them very swiftly.
Yeah carelessness is the right word.

Maybe it could be a wakeup call to not sell out the brand like cheap whore.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This man out here trying to save his job badly. He is trying anything for survival.In the process destroyed Xbox division.It's a man in quicksand sinking he's just saying anything for help.Now he's calling steam & Epic for help.Where was this talk last gen. Now its important to stick together. We saw your emails outspend Sony ,consolidate ,gamepass ,paywall schemes.

The awareness level of this guy is crazy. Shameless guy.

He spent at least 10 gens budget worth on COD just to console war. And is still losing.Xbox aint got any more budget series S/X gen is over. It's literally the same as last gen. Made mistake with DRM, They blew money on Tomb Raider exclusive ,1X. And then got stomped when PS rolled out the PS4 exclusives. It's same thing again.Series S & then just spent ridiculous 80billion.

2026 was the year they cut this division right. I think it Might be next year. If the GTA numbers are dogshite it's over for them in 2025
He has complete confidence Xbots and the gaming media will go along with his bullshit. Ironically it would've been much better for Xbox and Xbox fans if 15 years ago this guy was held accountable for his failures and bullshit.

He is by far the primary reason why Xbox is so shit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

I mean the guy also thinks it's his place to say how much Sony is allowed to spend on making games

His statement is true and doesn't apply just to Sony and doesn't even apply to Spider-man.

All Sony Spider-man games are very profitable.

Will the likes of Concord and Fairgame$ blow up in Sony's face? Most likely yes.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Yes, Director of Publishing @larianstudios.

He does a lot of the Larian communication.

If Sony had any sense they would buy Larian and replace all their executives with these guys. They are not posers like Phil Spencer just people that clearly care about the games they make.
LOL, imagine actual devs making fun of you. Holy shit, I'd never show my face in public again.

Sony really needs to get on this studio. WRPGs is what they're mmissing.
He is criticizing Xbox for buying up all these publishers, losing money and being unable to pay their workers, and your takeaway from that is that Sony should do the same thing for some reason....

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He is criticizing Xbox for buying up all these publishers, losing money and being unable to pay their workers, and your takeaway from that is that Sony should do the same thing for some reason....
You didn't understand what I said. I don't think Sony will buy Larian the point is that the type of people Larian has is the people who should be in charge of game companies not the like of Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan.

So saying Sony spending alot of cash on big exclusives that sell well is irresponsible is true ?
Dude probably don't know the details of Spider-man and is just agreeing with the general idea that games should have a budget compatible to the audience audience they are targeting. Spider-man didn't take 8 years to be made for example, nor was it unprofitable so it's not target at Sony.

Reactions: kuzon and Luffy123
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
You didn't understand what I said. I don't think Sony will buy Larian the point is that the type of people Larian has is the people who should be in charge of game companies not the like of Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan.

Dude probably don't know the details of Spider-man and is just agreeing with the general idea that games should have a budget compatible to the audience audience they are targeting. Spider-man didn't take 8 years to be made for example, nor was it unprofitable so it's not target at Sony.
Well he is agreeing with someone who specifically mentions Sony & Spiderman 2 , just because larian criticises Microsoft on occasion doesn't mean diddly , they were also sucking up to Microsoft when they were talking about the series S version of baldurs gate 3 & how developing for series S was going to make it better on every playform (spolier alert it didnt lol)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Well he is agreeing with someone who specifically mentions Sony & Spiderman 2 , just because larian criticises Microsoft on occasion doesn't mean diddly , they were also sucking up to Microsoft when they were talking about the series S version of baldurs gate 3 & how developing for series S was going to make it better on every playform (spolier alert it didnt lol)
Of course that having to make it run on the Series S would force them to further optimize the game. Seems you have some sort of hatred towards Larian for some reason.