Phil Spencer on what the hell is happening in the games industry, exclusives becoming a risky business & lack of growth in industry leading to layoffs

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
"I reflect on friends of mine in the industry that have been displaced and lost their jobs and how just, I don’t want this industry to be a place where people can’t, with confidence, build a career."

Man if there's one thing that pisses me right the fuck off is this weak fake as all hell PR talk. I see right through it.

You mean the "friends" that you laid off, Phil?

The people whose offices you waltzed into flashing that shitty plastic smile, the hands you shook? The jokes about how "everyone's getting an Xbox for free now"? All the months upon months of badgering we've had to endure in online forums and on Twitter, about how you were our saviour, how you were going to protect us from the evil Mr. Kotick? When you and your team defended in literal court of law that your acquisitions were all going to benefit the workers on top of the industry itself? What was all that about?

Right before you secured that bag, turned around, told all of us to go fuck ourselves as we all discovered we were out of a job via Jason fucking Schreier? Some of us were left in such a bad state losing our visas, some lost access to health care on literal life-saving medication that they can no longer access? Was all that worth the literal nothing you've done with all of those studios?

The industry's lack of growth is because of people like you. Bourgeoisie libertarian millionaire overcomfortable CEO figureheads who do nothing all day but take media training classes, meetings with PR for that glistening perfect statement, punctuated with some glad-handing over Zoom call every so often with some caught-in-headlights indie dev who thinks your shit-ass contracts for Game Pass will last forever?

Hilarious that the interviewer just sat there rather than ask him: Hey Phil, just for clarity, do you also stand by your statements regarding where the industry is headed and the hardware market in general, given that your company is literally the only one struggling with this?

Must've been the Hexen t-shirt or whatever.

Sadly for the time being it's still a faux pas to talk shit about this guy on main without risking networking, but trust me Phil, there's no shortage of industry professionals who are fucking chomping at the bit to be able to voice up about your goddamn company.

Apologies if this just sounds like angry venting lmao. It's probably because it is.

Reactions: Gediminas