Pixelopus is Shutting Down [Confirmed]

24 Jun 2022

Was just posted on their Twitter. IIRC, weren't they working on a new AAA action-adventure game for PS5 tied in to a film?

Anyone have an idea what's going on here? I was really looking forward to seeing what that game would be.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
sad monty python and the holy grail GIF

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Brutal, Sony is ruthless.

To be honest I never played any of their games. Pretty weird that they didn't wait until they released their next game before making the call. We can assume it wasn't going well and got canceled.

Sony seems increasingly less interested on smaller games. 10m+ or bust.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Brutal, Sony is ruthless.

To be honest I never played any of their games. Pretty weird that they didn't wait until they released their next game before making the call. We can assume it wasn't going well and got canceled.

Sony seems increasingly less interested on smaller games. 10m+ or bust.

Because sonys audience don’t care for them. Concrete Genie was a flop even though it was a good game. I doubt people even tried it on ps plus for free.

Kena probably did way more sales than all their games combined. Wouldn’t be surprised if sony just replace them with Ember Lab.

They had 4 years to get something going since Concrete Genie if Sony didn’t like their new game then i could see why they were shuttered. Can’t really afford to start another game at this point

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Because sonys audience don’t care for them. Concrete Genie was a flop even though it was a good game. I doubt people even tried it on ps plus for free.

Kena probably did way more sales than all their games combined
I get the business side of it, it makes more sense to cut deals with indie studios. I just with PlayStation had something like Annapurna Interactive where they would put some money and publish some select indie games themselves.

I'm personally not that into indie games but some of them are great and doing some interesting stuff.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nothing was announced for 5 years so it's hard to feel any disappointment? We don't even know what they were working on. It was all rumours.

Reactions: Zzero

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nothing was announced for 5 years so it's hard to feel any disappointment? We don't even know what they were working on. It was all rumours
Kena probably did way more sales than all their games combined. Wouldn’t be surprised if sony just replace them with Ember Lab.

They had 4 years to get something going since Concrete Genie if Sony didn’t like their new game then i could see why they were shuttered. Can’t really afford to start another game at this point
Ember Lab would be so much better for the same amount of employees and a great IP. Those students at PixelOpus can find other work easily.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nothing was announced for 5 years so it's hard to feel any disappointment? We don't even know what they were working on. It was all rumours

Ember Lab would be so much better for the same amount of employees and a great IP. Those students at PixelOpus can find other work easily.
I don't think Sony is interested in maintaining small studios.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
16 Feb 2023
Wow didn't see that coming that's really disappointing. I'm a big fan of the smaller AA games and I hope this isn't an indication of Sony moving away from that sort of thing.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sucks to see but this is reality. I've never played their games and I never see discussion around them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters