Pixelopus is Shutting Down [Confirmed]

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Get ready for the concern trolling from people that never bought concrete genie in their life to blame Sony for closing a 'creative' studio in favor of their cinematic games. It's already starting in other places.
They're going to use this to argue that Xbox and Playstation are in the same boat as far as having issues, lmao. Either that or they'll argue that this is somehow a bigger loss than what Xbox is going through.

Sucks for the team, and it sucks knowing what this news will be used for.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
6-C08-B4-C4-2-F24-4035-BE02-D9-D0860-C3-F62.jpg

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
tbh i didn't think entwined was very good. concrete genie a little better, but not first party quality. seemed like a weird acquisition at the time. sorry to the devs of course!

Reactions: Bryank75

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Get ready for the concern trolling from people that never bought concrete genie in their life to blame Sony for closing a 'creative' studio in favor of their cinematic games. It's already starting in other places.
yeah lol

the next month of people pretending they liked entwined will be funny

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Ember Labs would make a good replacement, small studio and first party quality with Kena. Kena could also make a good Netflix children's show or something.

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
I'm sad to see the studio is closing its doors, but releasing only two games over a 10-year period isn't exactly a good look by any standard. Would we feel the same way about an XGS studio shuttering over the same circumstances? I'm hoping those affected are at least able to retain jobs within the PS family and aren't cast out to the streets.

On a similar note, wouldn't be surprised if Media Molecule gets a culling or restructuring at this rate, if not completely shuttering as well.

• brain

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Ember Labs would make a good replacement, small studio and first party quality with Kena. Kena could also make a good Netflix children's show or something.
Replacing pixel for ember don't make sense. They have 1 game vs 2 out. If they had merge would of been dope. But it's shut down. You still have to pitch for funding and deliver quick. Honestly PS aint gonna give you 2-3 years with no build working. And they don't want to put trash out. Looks like 1st party is all Hollywood blockbusters. Indies do the artistic games.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
I'm sad to see the studio is closing its doors, but releasing only two games over a 10-year period isn't exactly a good look by any standard. Would we feel the same way about an XGS studio shuttering over the same circumstances? I'm hoping those affected are at least able to retain jobs within the PS family and aren't cast out to the streets.

On a similar note, wouldn't be surprised if Media Molecule gets a culling or restructuring at this rate, if not completely shuttering as well.

Media molecule. That senior guy left. And they have beenn greenlit on their new project and increasing in size. So their game pitch must of been good.

XGS should learn to cut of studios. This is a job. Have to put out a game or 2.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Replacing pixel for ember don't make sense. They have 1 game vs 2 out. If they had merge would of been dope. But it's shut down. You still have to pitch for funding and deliver quick. Honestly PS aint gonna give you 2-3 years with no build working. And they don't want to put trash out. Looks like 1st party is all Hollywood blockbusters. Indies do the artistic games.

Well Team Asobi and MM still exists

Playstation never really pushed Pixelopus. Never got news or pr from them, Hermen visits, no website, very little twitter presence. Seems like they just sort of existed, and they never really put out a critical darling game.

I’ll miss them but if there had to be a studio closed they would probably be the one I pick.

• they're_right_you_know

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Thing is Sony has shown that they are into critical appeal and commercial success. Kena probably outfit both Pixel Opus games on that front. And Sony definitely still does artistic games in first party. Sackboy, ratchet, kena, are all PS5 games with a cartoony art style.

• they're_right_you_know