PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK after price cut

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK last week, Gfk has revealed.

In terms of revenue, PS5 is up 63% week-on-week.

It follows the first temporary price drop for Sony's console, with retailers selling the machine for as low as £399. Some retailers, such as Amazon and GAME, also included a game in addition to the price drop, with titles such as LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, Forspoken and Saints Row available.

The Standard PS5 console was the biggest winner with sales up 205% in units and 162% in revenue (average selling price went from £491 to £421). This version of the console accounted for 73% of sales. The price cut played a big part in that, but GfK says that unofficial retail bundles featuring Hogwarts Legacy, LEGO Star Wars and Gran Turismo 7 were also popular.

Overall, last week was the third best week of the year for PS5. The console's best weeks came in February due to a popular God of War Ragnarok hardware bundle.

PS5 has had a strong 2023 globally, with Sony shifting ten million units since the start of the year. The platform suffered a difficult first few years due to a shortage of components that meant Sony was unable to supply the demand. However, the machine has fast recovered and is now tracking just slightly behind PS4. PS5 has now sold 40 million units worldwide, just two months slower than its previous console.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They were probably pretty high already given the massive increase in sales earlier this year.

2023 still has Spider-man 2 and a likely PS5 slim release to keep the sales momentum. PlayStation is bigger than ever in terms of hardware sales.

Reactions: Vlado_Millenium

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Awesome Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

Reactions: Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Is just me or the numbers doesn't match?

PlayStation 5 sales +75%

Standard PS5 +205%
Digital PS5 ???

There is no way Digital is 27% of the sales had a drop that can match the +75% combined.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Also 16,650 in Spain in 1 week 😲

Hardware:

PS5: 16.650 (16.400 Disco) / 215.000 YTD
Switch: 4.450 (2.650 OLED) / 170.500 YTD
XBS: 1.200 (700 X | 500 S ) / 24.800 YTD
PS4: 200 / 5.675 YTD

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They were probably pretty high already given the massive increase in sales earlier this year.

2023 still has Spider-man 2 and a likely PS5 slim release to keep the sales momentum. PlayStation is bigger than ever in terms of hardware sales.

I am confused. From what I read on this forum I was expecting hordes of console gamers to switch to PC given the PC ports releasing since 2020.

It's like Sony knew that releasing them wouldn't impact their console sales! And the FUD on forums was all about having less ammo for the list wars!

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I am confused. From what I read on this forum I was expecting hordes of console gamers to switch to PC given the PC ports releasing since 2020.

It's like Sony knew that releasing them wouldn't impact their console sales! And the FUD on forums was all about having less ammo for the list wars!
The ineffectiveness of their terrible PC strategy is not enougth to stop PS5 from being successful, there is no contradiction there.

Console is bringing in an even bigger return than before despite Sony mistakenly shifting resources away from it and into PC ports that don't sell and GaaS that don't release.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Yup! Pretty sure they will end this year with 50 Million by Fiscal. So by the time PS5 PRO comes should be close to 60 Million in the wild in mid-late 2024.
That want to be at 63 million PS5 by End of March 2024. I dunno they'll achieve it, but more power to Jimbo

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That want to be at 63 million PS5 by End of March 2024. I dunno they'll achieve it, but more power to Jimbo

If FF7R rebirth keeps its tentative release schedule and they have another Spring title lined up which I think they do, then they will meet that target if not surpass.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
If FF7R rebirth keeps its tentative release schedule and they have another Spring title lined up which I think they do, then they will meet that target if not surpass.
Well I'm also expecting them to be very aggressive this Black Friday/ Xmas season with Spiderman and whatever temporary price cut / bundles they do as that's where majority of the sales will come from.

I hope they knock it out the park.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Release Day 1 on PC and watch the exodus.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Release Day 1 on PC and watch the exodus.
It also not just PS5 vs PC. The Steam deck opened a new market with PC portables and the natural step is for Valve to go after the console market directly.

Plenty of the advantages PS5 has right now would go away if it was going against a refined Steam OS console, with cheaper games, free online, bigger library that included PC/Xbox/PlayStation games, stronger hardware.

Sony is choosing to support what is obviously going to be the most direct competitor in the near future, MS will also be pivoting away from Xbox and more into these new PC solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
i thought jim ryan was running playstation into the ground?

Why doesn’t microsoft get these same sales increases when they discount their consoles?
Xbox sucking doesn't mean Jim Ryan is doing a great job, he was handled a PlayStation division that had just completely destroyed Xbox in the previous gen and a PS5 hardware and lineup that had long already being in development before he took over. Even the Insomniac acquisition was already well on it's way to be concluded.

Why do you love Jim Ryan so much? What are these great things that you are giving him credit for? Is it him buying Haven and making Fairgame$? His willingness to release PlayStation games on Xbox? All the resources he has put into PC ports?

Reactions: Airbus

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Xbox sucking doesn't mean Jim Ryan is doing a great job, he was handled a PlayStation division that had just completely destroyed Xbox in the previous gen and a PS5 hardware and lineup that had long already being in development before he took over. Even the Insomniac acquisition was already well on it's way to be concluded.

Why do you love Jim Ryan so much? What are these great things that you are giving him credit for? Is it him buying Haven and making Fairgame$? His willingness to release PlayStation games on Xbox? All the resources he has put into PC ports?

His overall expansion of playstation studios to multiplayer, movies & tv, mobile, and pc is what will continue to grow the brand. You can’t see this because you’re wrapped up in two years of success of the ps4 which was only comprised of single player games. Yes, major acquisitions they have made since 2018 have been a part of that as well.

The problem with tech and gaming is that if you’re not constantly growing you are shrinking. No amount of single player games is going to be enough to keep sony ahead of microsoft or nintendo in the long run.

Jim Ryan is doing what any knowledgeable business person in charge of a major global brand would do, the cries of a few fan boys isn’t going to matter in the end. Jim Ryan has been at Playstation longer than some of you have been alive, he’s been there from the very beginning and didn’t just fail his way to the top. He knows his shit

Sorry, but if playstation was left to be ran by its vocal fans online the brand would be dead in 3 months.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
To be honest it was Shawn Layden who created the PS Productions initiative. And Playstation expanding to Multiplayer? So playstation 3 era just never existed?

• brain

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
To be honest it was Shawn Layden who created the PS Productions initiative. And Playstation expanding to Multiplayer? So playstation 3 era just never existed?

Its always convenient when people want to blame jim ryan for things and when they want to take credit away from him for things. Much of the PC initiative that you all bemoan everyday was also Laydens idea but you all blame Jimbo for it non-stop.

And yes, the PS3 era existed and then it went away for 10 years, well before online console gaming reached the apex of what it is today.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters