PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK after price cut

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Its always convenient when people want to blame jim ryan for things and when they want to take credit away from him for things. Much of the PC initiative that you all bemoan everyday was also Laydens idea but you all blame Jimbo for it non-stop.

And yes, the PS3 era existed and then it went away for 10 years, well before online console gaming reached the apex of what it is today.
Except I have voice my own issues with Layden and indeed blamed him for the PC Initiative which he even gloated about last year on a podcast. I was never a fan of his approach with wanting to scale back WWS output. He wanted to cut out 3rd party deals as well, which is probably what did him in the end. I'll never forget how horrible his last E3 was. He's the reason alot of the AA games left the platform in the end.

I give Jim credit for rectifying the situation by consulting with Shu and giving him his own department to nurture back that aspect of Playstation.

I'm just saying was Shawn's idea to spearhead Playstation Productions, that's his creation and now Asad is doing a bang up job with his quality control. Jim doesn't deserve this credit.

The GaaS approach is mostly Jim and his Lackey Hermen's credit tho.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I remember when I created a poll about the initiatives Sony greenlit lately, Which one they should cancel. Folks were more concerned about some legacy PC ports than having their tried and true single player studios devolving into GaaS machines supervised by Bungie.

That told me everything I needed to know. Deep down its all about list wars for most users. Sugarcoated with some financial mumbo jumbo here and there.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Except I have voice my own issues with Layden and indeed blamed him for the PC Initiative which he even gloated about last year on a podcast. I was never a fan of his approach with wanting to scale back WWS output. He wanted to cut out 3rd party deals as well, which is probably what did him in the end. I'll never forget how horrible his last E3 was. He's the reason alot of the AA games left the platform in the end.

I give Jim credit for rectifying the situation by consulting with Shu and giving him his own department to nurture back that aspect of Playstation.

I'm just saying was Shawn's idea to spearhead Playstation Productions, that's his creation and now Asad is doing a bang up job with his quality control. Jim doesn't deserve this credit.

The GaaS approach is mostly Jim and his Lackey Hermen's credit tho.

Sony not having healthy line up multiplayer games already is a failure on the last leaders part. Whether you all like it or not live service/multiplayer is a major part of console gaming and the biggest platform holder being the only one without major multiplayer titles is embarrassing.

Having to beg for COD in court wouldn’t need to happen if sony established their own shooter or live service title by now

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Having to beg for COD in court wouldn’t need to happen if sony established their own shooter or live service title by now
FACTS.

And not just cod, there are live service games that generate billions for sony. They need their own so they aren't having to rely on third parties that much for mtx revenue, and if another publisher that generates billions on their platform gets bought out they can shrug it off.

People who want sony to just stick to singleplayer are not seeing the bigger picture as sony will leave billions on the table while others grow around them.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony not having healthy line up multiplayer games already is a failure on the last leaders part. Whether you all like it or not live service/multiplayer is a major part of console gaming and the biggest platform holder being the only one without major multiplayer titles is embarrassing.

And again I've always said the biggest failure of the PS4 era was them scaling back on Multiplayers because it was the generation they should have went all in.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer should have never been given a $20 budget to the point the studio couldn't even finish the post launch support roadmap. There's still nothing like it on the market..m Uncharted Online would have been huge... Too late

Warkhawk not getting a retuned remaster
.. criminal

Uncharted 2 and 3 Multiplayer not gettingmaster chief collection treatment with the single player remaster? Again dumb

Not locking down Rocket League/ it's devs permanently... Another idiotic move

Horizon should have had a multiplayer in the works alongside the first game.

Sony turned down World War Z devs pitch to make that game the exclusive multiplayer portion off Days Gone..

Just a lot of dumb decisions.

Killing all their multiplayer studios again short sighted now they are catch up.

They got too complacent and relinquished everything to 3rd parties. Thinking the landscape would never change. What they are dealing with now including the COD fiasco needed to happen to them. They needed a good wake up call...

I don't mind the GaaS initiative. It's necessary.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
His overall expansion of playstation studios to multiplayer, movies & tv, mobile, and pc is what will continue to grow the brand. You can’t see this because you’re wrapped up in two years of success of the ps4 which was only comprised of single player games. Yes, major acquisitions they have made since 2018 have been a part of that as well.

The problem with tech and gaming is that if you’re not constantly growing you are shrinking. No amount of single player games is going to be enough to keep sony ahead of microsoft or nintendo in the long run.

Jim Ryan is doing what any knowledgeable business person in charge of a major global brand would do, the cries of a few fan boys isn’t going to matter in the end. Jim Ryan has been at Playstation longer than some of you have been alive, he’s been there from the very beginning and didn’t just fail his way to the top. He knows his shit

Sorry, but if playstation was left to be ran by its vocal fans online the brand would be dead in 3 months.
Sony GaaS will likely all flop. Successful GaaS titles is not something they can conjure up at will now that they need it.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Its always convenient when people want to blame jim ryan for things and when they want to take credit away from him for things. Much of the PC initiative that you all bemoan everyday was also Laydens idea but you all blame Jimbo for it non-stop.

And yes, the PS3 era existed and then it went away for 10 years, well before online console gaming reached the apex of what it is today.
Jimbo is the one who continued until him the ports were DS where Sony didn't have a choice, an Unreal Engine game and the other Decline game.

Jimbo was the one willing to port all the major PlayStation IPs like God of War, The Last of Us, Spider-man and Uncharted.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I am confused. From what I read on this forum I was expecting hordes of console gamers to switch to PC given the PC ports releasing since 2020.

It's like Sony knew that releasing them wouldn't impact their console sales! And the FUD on forums was all about having less ammo for the list wars!
I was more expecting Xbox to take over because they had such an amazing show (which was really worse or as good as Sony's, but their bar is so low that people appreciated it anyway).

So now the Xbox take over is pushed to September, when star citizen or something will take the gaming world by storm and sell 100million consoles within months and we will finally get rid of Sony for good! More importantly, Phil will be able to afford the yacht of his dreams! He will do selfies with every influencers in a grand party 🥳!

See Xbox win in September! Mark my word!

Reactions: gtjay1982

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I remember when I created a poll about the initiatives Sony greenlit lately, Which one they should cancel. Folks were more concerned about some legacy PC ports than having their tried and true single player studios devolving into GaaS machines supervised by Bungie.

That told me everything I needed to know. Deep down its all about list wars for most users. Sugarcoated with some financial mumbo jumbo here and there.
Sounds like a good poll result.

#deathtoPC

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I am confused. From what I read on this forum I was expecting hordes of console gamers to switch to PC given the PC ports releasing since 2020.

It's like Sony knew that releasing them wouldn't impact their console sales! And the FUD on forums was all about having less ammo for the list wars!
It’s not an overnight thing. It has the potential to erode over time, for example some deciding to go pc instead of PS6.

However the no day 1 release is a big factor - hence why you’ll see xbros cheering on such parity knowing it would be destructive to PS.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It’s not an overnight thing. It has the potential to erode over time, for example some deciding to go pc instead of PS6.

However the no day 1 release is a big factor - hence why you’ll see xbros cheering on such parity knowing it would be destructive to PS.
It is not a thing at all.

Consoles gamers choose console for reasons that PC can’t give them… that won’t change.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sounds like a good poll result.

#deathtoPC
As if all games being ported to PC didn't relate directly to everything being turned to GaaS.

It's so obvious and naive, Sony looked at the PC market and all the successful games they saw were eSports/GaaS. They don't have some mysterious plan they are holding back it's all in the open and people here are in denial.

The vast majority of money spent on acquisitions went toward GaaS studios.

Reactions: Puff

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
It is not a thing at all.

Consoles gamers choose console for reasons that PC can’t give them… that won’t change.
I've been around long enough gaming sphere to see people making all sorts of decisions for on their main gaming platform. Desire to play something specific, financial maters, consoles tech getting long in the tooth just to name some.

If it were not a thing, there woud be no harm inr Sony going day 1 PC with full catalogue.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I've been around long enough gaming sphere to see people making all sorts of decisions for on their main gaming platform. Desire to play something specific, financial maters, consoles tech getting long in the tooth just to name some.

If it were not a thing, there woud be no harm inr Sony going day 1 PC with full catalogue.
I don’t think there is any harm going day 1 PC release to PlayStation at all.

But that goes agains Sony strategy because they want people on PC to experience PS titles to buy a PS console to be play the sequels.

Sony is trying to find a way to increase the console user base and PC releases are one of these ways… day 1 PC releases should kill that strategy. Just imagine if a few of these PC players that played Spider-Man buy a PS5 for Spider-Man 2 then the Sony strategy is already working.

Sony PC strategy was never about console players but about PC players being lured to know the PlayStation ecosystem imo.

I understand the PS consoles players having a hate for this ideia but I see it as a great opportunity to Sony grow PlayStation and yes believe PS5 will easily surpass PS4 userbase in few years due these strategies.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I don’t think there is any harm going day 1 PC release to PlayStation at all.

But that goes agains Sony strategy because they want people on PC to experience PS titles to buy a PS console to be play the sequels.

Sony is trying to find a way to increase the console user base and PC releases are one of these ways… day 1 PC releases should kill that strategy. Just imagine if a few of these PC players that played Spider-Man buy a PS5 for Spider-Man 2 then the Sony strategy is already working.

Sony PC strategy was never about console players but about PC players being lured to know the PlayStation ecosystem imo.

I understand the PS consoles players having a hate for this ideia but I see it as a great opportunity to Sony grow PlayStation and yes believe PS5 will easily surpass PS4 userbase in few years due these strategies.
Oh god. Look at the other side.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan is doing what any knowledgeable business person in charge of a major global brand would do, the cries of a few fan boys isn’t going to matter in the end. Jim Ryan has been at Playstation longer than some of you have been alive, he’s been there from the very beginning and didn’t just fail his way to the top. He knows his shit

Tim Cook sure needs to read this, apple is losing loads of money not porting their OS and even their work suite to PC / Windows. Just imagine how much more money they could make if they stopped being exclusive.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Tim Cook sure needs to read this, apple is losing loads of money not porting their OS and even their work suite to PC / Windows. Just imagine how much more money they could make if they stopped being exclusive.
I think it is more like, apple should allow iOS and MacOS to be installed on every devices.

I am using MacOS right now and it is refreshing to have an OS that has an reponsive UI and doesn't prompt user to upgrade every day.

Reactions: Kokoloko and Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I think it is more like, apple should allow iOS and MacOS to be installed on every devices.

I am using MacOS right now and it is refreshing to have an OS that has an reponsive UI and doesn't prompt user to upgrade every day.

They used to allow Sony laptops to run Apple OS, not sure why they don't allow other companies. I also much prefer Apple over Windows.

The next best thing is Linux, which most people dont even know exists.

Sony designed and built Apple's first successful laptop, the PowerBook 100, and Jobs has always been a Sony fan.

Reactions: Kokoloko

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
They used to allow Sony laptops to run Apple OS, not sure why they don't allow other companies. I also much prefer Apple over Windows.

The next best thing is Linux, which most people dont even know exists.

Sony designed and built Apple's first successful laptop, the PowerBook 100, and Jobs has always been a Sony fan.
80s-00s is the best era for Jap electronics, that's why Job is a big fan. Beside from Sony, there are Sharp, Panasonic, Toshiba.

Sony is the only one in these guys managed to thrive these days because they switch from electronics to entertainments.

Every other electronic manufacturers from Japan has bited the dust because of Chinese's growth.