PlayStation Earbuds and Project Q Announced - 8 inch screen remote device

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
You could already do that with PS Remote Play and use a dedicated controller for mobile, backbone makes them for both devices.
To my knowledge backbone dont make an android version. I went with Gamesir v2 in the end. Lets be generous and say it would annoy me to not have two screens on my Duo, to handle message notification pop-ups kicking the Remote session off the screen, that's when it could stay up on its own.

This still seems like half a product to me, despite me probably getting one, assuming it'll handle WiFi remote playing better than the android or Windows apps.

Why this controller handles grafted onto a screen, and not a more stylish looking PSP like shell? Why remote play only and not streaming/local play? I can't believe they are so tone deaf. Your own Dev's are clucking about their Steam Deck's. Gpd win 4 basically improved your Vita form factor. Your answer is one part phone streaming-fan, and one part this inelegant screen controller holder? Get a fucking clue, sony.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
To my knowledge backbone dont make an android version.
No, they don't they were solely iPhone only, I have one. They only ventured out to Android with the PlayStation version and the original version.

This still seems like half a product to me, despite me probably getting one, assuming it'll handle WiFi remote playing better than the Android or Windows apps.
I agree it screams desperate, I mean Xbox has a partnership with these companies that do portable gaming PC I would have expected Sony to do the same but solely make it PlayStation OS and solely for PlayStation games only. It would have been a better approach. Overall the room is hot and people do not like it. Which is good.

Why this controller handles grafted onto a screen, and not a more stylish looking PSP like shell? Why remote play only and not streaming/local play? I can't believe they are so tone deaf. Your own Dev's are clucking about their Steam Deck's. Gpd win 4 basically improved your Vita form factor. Your answer is one part phone streaming-fan, and one part this inelegant screen controller holder? Get a fucking clue, sony.
I agree the design layout is hideous and looks very uncomfortable, I would have expected it to be like the Logitech Cloud Gaming set that Xbox has a partnership with. That would have been a good idea.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
DOA. They needed a handheld to fend off Valve and any potential entrants wishing to feed on the 200 so million console gamers outside the Switch (the PSP-VITA Install base - 20m - 40m). This rushed shit after literally writing the book with the PSP just smells of total incompetence and will propel the competitor instead of crowding it out of the market cause the competition is significantly a better product offering on all counts - the complete opposite effect intended. Unfettered idiocy. To go along with everything else in this shitshow.

Jim's reign is going just fine. I dread to see PS 5 yrs from now with his leadership at the helm.

Last edited:

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
They needed a handheld to fend off Valve and any potential entrants wishing to feed on the 200 so million console gamers outside the Switch (the PSP-VITA Install base - 20m - 40m).
Don't forget about the ASUS Rog Ally and other ones that are coming out and let's not dread Nintendo, I'm sure Nintendo will make or better yet ask Nvidia for a similar power to what the Steam Deck has that can be priced at $399. I will not be surprised if this system is at least $200 to $300 and not $99.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Demarcus Cousins Sport GIF

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not portable. Who is this for?
It's a remote play only device, not a portable console.

It's for people with family (so can play while someone else uses the tv) or who wants to play the console while in the bed or in the toilet.

Or well, for people who wants a big ass DualSense.

Sony is trying so hard to be like apple but unlike Apple they don't release what their base wants. Was it so hard to tweak what the Switch did and release it?
The opposite, Vita was a failure (I'm one of the 4 people who bought it, and I'm a big fant) and PS5 and its games is a huge success. So by focusing in PS5 and not releasing a handheld they release what their base wants.

PS focuses on high end visuals, which -even if we're getting closer- can't be achieved with a portable, and 3rd partys want to focus on high end consoles and PCs because it's where they sell games. So even if they would released it, most 3rd parties wouldn't support it properly.

If somewhere in the future handheld tech achieves the power of home consoles and there are batteries to provide a decent play time, and can be sold for a price that the mainstream would pay for it, they will consider make a hybrid instead of a home console. But until then, won't happen.

And some people were complaining yesterday because a supposed (false) lack of announcements or new games. If Sony and the 3rd parties would have to split their gamedev efforts and resources between a haldheld and a home console as happened in the past, people would complain more.

If this is quoted as "Remote play over WiFi", it's gonna be useless outside the home/on data, right? Can it even do PS+ streaming?
Remote Play also works through internet, meaning you can play from let's say from the office where you work at lunchtime, but obviously depending on the distance and internet connection it affects to the streaming quaility.

Remote Play streams whatever it's being shown in your console, so I assume cloud gaming in PS5 too. But if people uses cloud gaming in their PS5 via wifi then the wifi could be saturated if isn't a modern wifi (wifi6, and not sure if wifi5).

The best solution would be to do the cloud gaming directly from this device to their servers without using the PS5, but not sure if possible because apparently this device is only for Remote Play.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
So little info on the product, they must not be very confident in what they are offering.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Local Wi-Fi streaming from console isn’t the worst idea. Similar appeal to handhelds in a single or shared household but with ps5 results. Depends on latency issues. You want Wii U results.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I already do PS5 remote play via Steam Deck, and it works really well throughout my house. I think this is a great option for a lot of people to get an officially supported remote play client. Also I like that they're pitching it in a lowkey way just as a controller with a screen. It's a simple sell, you know if you want it or not. If it's like $150 I will buy.

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
This thing is pretty much a piece of trash nobody asked for. Literally. Its a thing that will probably sell <1M units and make fuck all profit. Meanwhile a PSP2 or PSVita2 would sell at least 20M units. but that would take some effort to actually release games for the fucking thing.
I’m glad sony isn’t tasking their developers to make handheld games

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If you play at home with a good connection, it's basically a portable PS5.

The reception would be better if it could at least play PS4 games locally.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
This thing would be perfect as an accessory for single player and and rpg games, the thing is sony is seemingly going all in on gaas so it kind of contradicts their own goals? If sony could somehow make ps5 backwards compatible on with ps1 games and perhaps add trophies, I think this would be a perfect device to compliment that. For the record i think this is a cool idea i just want to see how well it can work.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If you play at home with a good connection, it's basically a portable PS5.

The reception would be better if it could at least play PS4 games locally.
that's a totally different and far more expensive product. also you have the problem of people with ps4 discs getting screwed over.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I’m glad sony isn’t tasking their developers to make handheld games

While I disagree with that, I still believe it would have been a much better idea than this stupid device that's pretty much niche. At least if it had a 5G connection via Sim Card you could enjoy it in places that have access to it and make it truly mobile and next gen, but Jimbo is too shortsighted to even think of that.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Terrible idea.

NOBODY WANTS STREAMING, how many times has it to be said?
Speak for yourself, Bryan.

I use Remote Play for probably 75% of my gaming time, and this handheld is something I’m going to seriously look at when it comes out.

Streaming can work well in certain situations, and for those that it works for, something like this can be great.

A lot of people around here in the last few days need to realize that some products just won’t appeal to them, and that that doesn’t mean a company is doomed or hates them personally. It just means that that item is for someone else.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Speak for yourself, Bryan.

I use Remote Play for probably 75% of my gaming time, and this handheld is something I’m going to seriously look at when it comes out.

Streaming can work well in certain situations, and for those that it works for, something like this can be great.

A lot of people around here in the last few days need to realize that some products just won’t appeal to them, and that that doesn’t mean a company is doomed or hates them personally. It just means that that item is for someone else.

Well, if it finds an audience... then I wont say anymore about it.