PlayStation is in serious trouble if they don’t reverse course

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
This site is becoming a parody like xbox era
I can't tell if some of the posts here are joke or serious
The guy left sony in early 2018 or 2017 I don't remember
Good for him he's allowed to work anywhere he wants
Also some members here are always in stress and Constant fear I mean ps5 is doing great and the third-party support is great too
I feel some people here didn't witness sony in ps3 era I remember these dark days with no indie support terrible third-party support and everyone hated sony first party games and let's not forget the studios that sony closed like studio liverpool and the terrible marketing for sony first party games sony at that time was very close to leave the console market with the billions they lost at that time I remember the rumors about Apple entering the console market and we had articles every day about ps3 getting dreamcast treatment
Those were the dark days indeed
These days sony is doing great ps5 is their most successful console and people in the real world actually love the console I don't care about the manufactured hatred on twitter aka the land of fake bots accounts according to the owner elon musk and reddit which is known now most users left the site due to the heavy censorship and now reddit is full of fake ai accounts
And let's not forget sony biggest rival are going third-party and yes I don't believe these fake rumors that Ms will release new console soon
Anyway sorry for my long rant But some the posts here are stupid lol 😆
I'll take the PS3 days over the PS5 days ANY GIVEN DAY.

Current Sony is nothing but a wannabe Apple through and through. No longer for the Gamers but for the Shareholders. Though at least Apple's CEO doesn't pubicly shit on their biggest money maker. Ungrateful bastards who will get what's coming to the brand next generation.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
you really need to check PS3 game releases. this is totally fallacy that sony didn't released games for years in PS3 generation.
Thank you! You can tell who didn't actually own a PS3 prior to the 2nd half of the generation. Because Sony was dropping games from day one and never stopped. I never went without ever having games to play on my PS3 and I got it day one as it launched on my B'Day that year.

24 Jun 2022
Also the call for console isnt the traditional high power box that sits under your tv & only allows you to play game while your at home & instead the future is a hybrid handheld where sure you can dock your handheld to your tv to play like traditional but also play natively on the go outside your house taking your PS & your games wherever you want to play similar to mobile.

It would be a mistake for Sony to make the PS6 a high power traditional box console when the industry is moving more mobile & lowering access to play your games outside your home

I don't think PS6 is going to abandon the traditional "high-power" (I quite hate this term given its origins) market segment, but I do agree Sony need a portable solution in the market that can scale PS6 games and do so in a way where devs don't have to put in any work to scale settings down. Good, smart AI-powered scaling tech in the next-gen PS design shared by the console and handheld would help to make this happen.

They need the option of a home console and handheld co-existing that can run the same games natively just with different settings for the handheld with little if any effort on the part of devs to run on said handheld. The rumor of a PS handheld from people like MLID suggest that the handheld could basically run a scaled-down version of the PS6's chipset (such as half the number of shader cores for a chiplet-based GPU design), which would be one way to make it happen. PSSR would also play a hand in that type of design.

Something else that would be brutal for PlayStation is that at this point they got used to selling games that sell 10m/20m. If they ever drop to selling around 90m like int the PS3 days things will collapse for their internal studios that seemed to all be tied to massive games that take 5 years+ to make.

PS5 selling bellow PS4 would be extremely concerning for PlayStation long term health.

Their bet on PC was just completely misguided and took a lot of momentum away from PlayStation, enough to possibly have killed their business long term (just like PC ports killed Xbox).

A part I wouldn't agree on is that Sony's PC strategy at current has hurt the brand long-term. However, I've always said that if they continue with the current strategy or, especially, if they get more aggressive with it (shorter windows for ports of non-GAAS or Day 1 for non-GAAS titles of all types), that would basically spell the long-term decline of the console's selling power.

When people question this, I just answer with the following: who typically buys new consoles within the first two years? Who usually does the most spending in B2P software in the ecosystem? Subscriptions? MTX/Add-on content? Day 1 purchases of 1P & 3P software? The answer to ALL of those is the same: the hardcore/core enthusiast. And what is the biggest driver for getting hardcore/core gamers onboard for hardware? Exclusives.

If exclusives WEREN'T the reason, why are the Xbox Series consoles looking to sell under 5 million units for the entirety of 2024, after already seeing unusually high drop-off rates in sales in 2023 and even from the middle of 2022 (barely 1.5 years after the systems launched)? And why do so many people keep ignoring that Xbox is a pretty good barometer of the negative consequences of some of these controversial business decisions, the same way companies like SEGA and Atari (and even Nintendo & Sony in select generations) were?

Again, a worst-case scenario can be avoided as long as SIE have already been making adjustments BTS. I think there's a hint they have when they revealed PHYSINT earlier this year; that game is years out yet I think between complaints of them holding some reveals way too close to the chest AND optics of maybe losing a close-knit partnership with KojiPro to Microsoft (Overdose), they went and soft-revealed PHYSINT at the February SoP. There are rumors they are working with 3P like SEGA and Bandai-Namco on reviving legacy IP like Wipeout as AA titles.

Though, these are counterbalanced to some degree by decisions that IMO kind of sideline the console. The GOT port to PC is technically not too bad in itself timing-wise (have always said 4-6 years at least for non-GAAS ports), but it's a bad look when considering almost all of Sony's current-gen exclusives (cross-gen or not) have gone multiplatform. It also soft-confirms the Nvidia leak again, which has GT7, Demon's Souls and GOW Ragnarok on it. Combined with Spiderman 2's inevitable PC port, we're in a potential situation where ALL of Sony's current-gen releases will have been ported to PC and/or other consoles before the PS5 Pro is even a year old!

...Well, aside Astro's Playroom (a demo) and Destruction All-Stars (a failed GAAS). That is a baaad look for a console that needs to provide valuation through content differentiation (exclusives) within the market, no matter how some people want to try downplaying it.

Anyway, I think by the end of the year we'll have a definitive answer as to the future trajectory of PlayStation consoles. Whether SIE have correctly adjusted their multiplat strategy (I'm not gonna go into specifics here, that's what the giant thread from a while back is for), and make other adjustments to better compete or match offerings from growing indirect competitors like Steam and Nintendo or not, we'll have a pretty good indication of it by the end of the year. We have been getting some hints though IMO, like player counts on PS5 for games like Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade (demo), which at least addresses some of those things.

Where Sony released an expensive console with no games for years? Imagine repeating the same mistake.
They won that generation by making games, lots of them, with high quality, that were only available on the PS3 while the competitor sat on their thumbs. If MS had released a new console in 2010, before PS3 momentum started, things would have been very dire for Sony,

Sony may not've had a ton of HUGE selling games prior to 2010, but they definitely had a good stream of high-quality releases from very early on.

Resistance released in 2006. Uncharted released in 2007. Motorstorm release in 2007. Same with Rachet & Clank: TOD. Warhawk released in 2007. Resistance 2 released in 2008. Echochrome released in 2008. Demon's Souls released in 2009. Killzone 2 released in 2009. Hell, Uncharted 2 (considered the best of the series by many) released in 2009.

Last edited:

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
i'll never understand why they changed everything they were doing with the PS4 generation, everything that worked, the Only On PlayStation model sold 117 million PS4s, they started to build something that was hard for any hardcore gamer to ignore last gen, and this catalog of exclusives would've grown significantly in this generation, now with this PC push i really doubt PS5 will be able to surpass PS4.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
i'll never understand why they changed everything they were doing with the PS4 generation, everything that worked, the Only On PlayStation model sold 117 million PS4s, they started to build something that was hard for any hardcore gamer to ignore last gen, and this catalog of exclusives would've grown significantly in this generation, now with this PC push i really doubt PS5 will be able to surpass PS4.
because we have/had 2 who couldn't see further than their nose.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They just need to fix their terrible customer support and refund policies. Yes the PC initiative is flopping and poses a danger to their long term well-being but I think as long as they right the ship on 1st party games they'll end up fine.

Reactions: Neversummer

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Giving how the gaming industry is heading more mobile w traditional console going away & hybrid handhelds taking the place of console where does PlayStation stands against its competitor imo there position in a awkward & dangerous spot within gaming & hardware.

Today ex 3rd party relationship joined Nintendo prior to the Switch 2 release.

With Nintendo doubling down on it’s hardware hybrid handheld console it seems like Nintendo is head for a major cadence the first 3 years w fans speculating a new smash or smash dlc, a new Pokémon already announced for 2025, a new 3D Mario speculated & a new Mario Kart 3/4 out of these options are very likely to release the first 1-2 years w other games like a new Metroid to be rumored to be release in its first year. A new Animal crossing & Splatoon would also not be shocking to be release its first 1-3 years of its life cycle.

Where does this put PlayStation. PC ports already converting PS gamers to migrate to other platforms as PS no longer has permanent exclusive to compete & strengthens its platform & storefront. And Sony reporting down year over year just after 4 years of PS5 being in the market (you can argue the first 2 years didn’t allow PlayStation to truly sell PS5 which the down year is shocking but can explain the lack of first party exclusive from first party PS studios having 1 or no major games in 2023 & 2024 making Sony miss 2023 targets of 25 million PS5 sold which would break all time record for PlayStation.

I fully expect Nintendo with its crazy lineup to easily break 25 million once again showing Sony wrong that the old models for profits proves to be the reliable correct strategy to follow. (I think Nintendo can sell 25 million consoles multiple times in its first 1-2 years maybe even 3 years if they’re line up crazy.

Nintendo Switch 2 is rumored to be in the same power as the PS4 which will allow Nintendo to capitalize on 3rd party that never release on Nintendo console & what where once exclusive to PS previous, will see much aggressive competition from Nintendo with devs now releasing most if not all 3rd party games on Nintendo & PS.

And depending on 3rd party relationship. We could see a Nintendo that has exclusive Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy (if Nintendo is aggressive which I do see happening) skipping PS which would be crazy all while PS continues to lower there wall garden & further allow there platform & storefront to diminish & become obsolete & relevant long term.

Sony is putting themselves in the same position as Xbox. I could see a future where PS is all in PC ignoring all negative effects slowly boiling themselves like a frog where devs focus on PC & Nintendo & if Steam wanted to replace PS they would push Steamdeck as the hybrid console that can play PC, Xbox & PS games all in one platform. Steam also making new games would further push there already dominate & almost defacto platform & storefront in gaming.

It will be interesting to see how PlayStation navigate while not having exclusive to make its platform & storefront a defacto platform. Even if Sony announce a PS6 or if the PS6 is a hybrid handheld PS no longer has permanent exclusive all of there first party games are time exclusive & there will be a Steamdeck that can play those games once the get ported while also having the benefit of PC & having cheaper prices from sales, no pay online subscription plus Steam has its Valve permanent exclusive & exclusive PC games that don’t go to PS.

Also if Xbox somehow builds a open PC hybrid handheld that allows you to play Xbox, PS & PC games in 1 platform MS would ironically be more invested in hardware then PS themselves as a PS console would only have PS games missing Xbox games be it Xbox games get ported 1 year later & PC games.

Imo Sony is dumb for following Xbox disastrously failed strategy. Sony made there slow death bed & MS is probably laughing Sony decided to drop there wall garden no longer allowing PS to fully kill off Xbox. Unless Sony changes plan I doubt I continue investing on the PS platform & storefront that has to many holes & cautious signs for me to fully invest in the long run. I’m already in the procces of fully migrating to PC & Nintendo all I’m waiting for is if PS next leader continues this path that has diminished, harm & out risk of the PS brand identity & if the Switch 2 will be at the power of a PS4 which can play beautiful games like Uncharted 4, TLOU2, GOT, GOW if it does it will be an easy decision where to invest my money in the long run on a safe platform since I don’t ever see Steam or Nintendo ever dropping there wall gardens & seeking other methods such as mobile, live service, park, cross media, toys & other methods for increase profits & expansion that won’t harm, diminish its identity or put them at risk of Nintendo ability to be highly competitive.

I'm probably the most pro-Nintendo person on this forum but I'm also a realist and the picture you paint is far too optimistic and riddled with errors.

In paragraph one you say that Nintendo's set up to get Smash, 3D mario, Mario Kart and Pokemon in its first 1 to 2 years with Metroid rumored and Animal Crossing and Splatoon both not shocking to be in the first 1 to 3 years. Yeah, thats wrong. Mario will probably be a launch title, and Mario Kart probably within the first year. But Smash has only entered full production a few months ago, its a 2026 title at best. And the Pokemon title you mentioned is likely a Switch exclusive, based on history they won't leave Switch until '26 or '27. While you might get AC or Splatoon in year 2 or 3 you will almost certainly not get both- as they are made by the same sub-studio.

Then you say that PS5 has four down years in a row? Maybe in game sales vs Switch but certainly not in console sales (and most of its flagship titles have knocked it out of the park in sales, too.) You also claim that Switch 2 is rumored to be comparable to PS4 but, there's more credible rumors that it will fail to fully meet those benchmarks. I also doubt that Nintendo will be getting those S-E games exclusively. DQ would be a very good get for them but its probably going to be multi-plat and, well, Final Fantasy came out last year so don't expect another "real" one for four or five years.

Ultimately although all of these gaming platforms compete against each other, I don't think that PC porting is really going to be a big drain to normies, who as likely as not own a decade old shitbox anyway and while Switch 2 should be *easier* to downport to, I think the utility of years late downports or decade old rereleases just won't be a huge consumer draw. We've seen that with Wii getting PS2 games, Wii U and Switch getting 360 era games, etc. They help fill out a library and make their money back but don't actually compete with the "tech leader" on fan interest or sales.

And, of course, its not like the first half of the Switch's line-up was all that much better than the second half of the Wii U's. One had the public on its side and the other didn't. We don't know which side of the coin Switch 2 will be on yet.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
N

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
All of that essay of info and it's all rubbish...I don't know who gave u that mindset and I'm don't even see any value it will produce to answer u but the idiotic is when u included the Nintendo with ppl migrating from PS to Nintendo , thats dumb..and the identity crisis ure babbling about, probably proves u know nothing about Sony's plans and what their aim is in gaming
Is Sony aim in gaming to be 3rd party & being last in hardware? If so that’s the direction there heading really what’s the difference between Xbox strategy & PS the only difference is PS is years behind & having games not go day n date but very much PS is following Xbox to its very tea PS is nothing more then a stalled Xbox in the hardware console space Nintendo will continue & further slaughter PS & continue to eat away PS market share in the console market. People ignoring Nintendo while Nintendo moves like sharks in the background. PS will either fully copy Xbox & go day n date & kill there console & make most of its money on software games or reverse & now be at the mercy of Nintendo, Steam, MS, Apple or Meta PS is either a closed wall garden or fully 3rd party no in between.

Last edited:
  • sad

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The pc releases are an ongoing debuff to the brand for sure.

The time sunk into GaaS has diluted ps strength in single player epics.

• sad

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
The pc releases are an ongoing debuff to the brand for sure.

The time sunk into GaaS has diluted ps strength in single player epics.
they must be looking to data that shows them the most played games on PSN are Fortnite, Grand Theft Auto and Call Of Duty, all multiplatform games and thinking that exclusives are no longer important because of it, the problem is that the numbers they're looking represents the casual gamer, the hardcore gamer opinion is being left behind, we invest in the damn console, pay the damn subscription, buy games on their store giving 30% cuts on all third party games, consume all their first party titles, finance the development of it and at the end of the day, we're the "narrow" part of the market, absolutely frustrating.

Last edited:

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
the reason why i've been questioning my presence on PlayStation is simply because PC offers a way superior experience, i can go right now and build a PC that is more powerful than what the PS5 Pro will be, as a hardcore gamer you do not need to be limited to 30fps on 4K, you do not need to pay for online gaming, which in itself is an archaic concept that was justifiable back in the 2000s, but it's not justifiable anymore, you have more freedom, you pay less, you play in a superior quality...

if every one of your first party games is coming to PC in a matter of time... cheaper, not requiring online subscription for multiplayer and with the absolute best quality possible, what is the reason to purchase your console? expensive games that will come to PC for them to pirate? we're literally financing games for PC players to play for free, cause most of them don't buy singleplayer games, and Sony doesn't even add protection to the games, so it is pirated within seconds.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Ghost Of Tsushima will be released on PC, the Legends mode (that requires a PS Plus subscription on PlayStation consoles) will be avaliable for PC users to play at no additional cost, at this point, you're literally making your console the worst possible place to play your own game, this is disgusting to say the minimmum, i'm telling you guys, the days of three digit 100M+ PlayStation consoles is OVER, i'm starting to doubt even PS5 will surpass this mark at this point.

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
the argument some use here that games today are too expensive to be limited to a console is beyond ridiculous, PlayStation first party titles have been breaking records in sales, God Of War Ragnarok sold 15 million in a year, Spiderman 2 sold 10 million in 3 months, Horizon Forbidden West sold more than Horizon Zero Dawn in the same timeframe, PlayStation's first party titles have been growing more and more YoY, PC represents a ridiculously low amount of the sales, when Spiderman 3 arrives it'll probably sell 20 million in a year, the same for the next God Of War, this without the need to be on PC, they're risking all of that to have short term SMALL profits.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I see many people here thinking the Switch 2 will be this and that.

It won't. We're looking at hardware that Nvidia got ready and done in early 2020 (Ampere GPU, Samsung 8nm) for a release in 2021, and then Nintendo decided to sit on it until 2025 because COVID extended the Switch's life.

This will not be a powerful console even in handheld terms. Early 2025 we're looking at Strix Point and Kraken APUs made on N4 that will run circles around T239, a couple years later Sony is probably launching their own handheld, and perhaps Microsoft is going into the "hybrid" strategy as well.

The Switch 2 is probably still going to be the only place to play Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon and Zelda, and that might be enough to make them profitable enough. But anyone thinking Nintendo is going to start gobbling up 3rd party support is in for massive disappointment.

• Informative

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I see many people here thinking the Switch 2 will be this and that.

It won't. We're looking at hardware that Nvidia got ready and done in early 2020 (Ampere GPU, Samsung 8nm) for a release in 2021, and then Nintendo decided to sit on it until 2025 because COVID extended the Switch's life.

This will not be a powerful console even in handheld terms. Early 2025 we're looking at Strix Point and Kraken APUs made on N4 that will run circles around T239, a couple years later Sony is probably launching their own handheld, and perhaps Microsoft is going into the "hybrid" strategy as well.

The Switch 2 is probably still going to be the only place to play Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon and Zelda, and that might be enough to make them profitable enough. But anyone thinking Nintendo is going to start gobbling up 3rd party support is in for massive disappointment.
Which current games do not run well on a Steam Deck? Very few.

Switch 2 just needs to be much better than the Switch to open up the door to more and better ports.