PlayStation is laying off around 900 people across the world [Discussion]

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not great to see people lose their jobs but other than that I’m not sure what the bad news really is.

Losing London Studio which has been pretty average over the last decade?

Bloat removed from the large studios and more emphasis of lower budgets for games?

More GaaS games cancelled to focus on narrative games?

Confirmation from Hermen that PlayStation is focused on Playstation, PC and Mobile which we already knew?

Shutting up the SonyToo gang who were hoping that Playstation will release on Xbox.

True, there are some things that could be positive now or in the future... never nice to see people lose jobs though.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Not great to see people lose their jobs but other than that I’m not sure what the bad news really is.

Losing London Studio which has been pretty average over the last decade?

Bloat removed from the large studios and more emphasis of lower budgets for games?

More GaaS games cancelled to focus on narrative games?

Confirmation from Hermen that PlayStation is focused on Playstation, PC and Mobile which we already knew?

Shutting up the SonyToo gang who were hoping that Playstation will release on Xbox.
I was at the office today with barely any internet so I missed all the conversation but besides the shocking "900 layoffs" headline it doesn't seem like gamers lost anything worthwhile?

People were mocking that London game since it was announced, nobody wanted it. We never saw anything of Twisted Metal, it might as well not exist. The Insomniac MP was already cancelled months ago. We were not getting it anyway.

It's almost like Jim and Hermen were reading the forum and just did what people were asking lol

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I was at the office today with barely any internet so I missed all the conversation but besides the shocking "900 layoffs" headline it doesn't seem like gamers lost anything worthwhile?

People were mocking that London game since it was announced, nobody wanted it. We never saw anything of Twisted Metal, it might as well not exist. The Insomniac MP was already cancelled months ago. We were not getting it anyway.

It's almost like Jim and Hermen were reading the forum and just did what people were asking lol

Exactly.

The same people who were complaining about the shift towards GaaS games are now complaining about these cancellations and layoffs.

The majority were probably working on these cancelled GaaS games.

Like clockwork they bring Japan Studios back into the discussion.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
All this whiny shit and all this "discussion" as if Rebirth isn't coming soon and HD2 being a surprise hit makes me want to leave this place too, at least for a while.
Seriously stop being a part of M$ negativity astroturfing campaign.

These ones are the loudest, yes. And i became dumb because of them

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: The Icon

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
The same people who were complaining about the shift towards GaaS games are now complaining about these cancellations and layoffs.

Funny shit, isn't it.

oprah-well.gif

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And we don't know how long Totoki will be CEO for... The word temporary doesn't say much. He can literally be there for a year... And he will only step down when he finds someone he approves of... So either way he stays.
We know he's the interim SIE CEO, meaning he is only CEO temporally during the transition between CEOs. Jimbo quitted last year, but since these companies do everything per fiscal year, he stays until the end of the fiscal year, also helping to do the transition. And then in the start of the new fiscal year they promote (or hire) the next CEO.

As a bridge, during this transition there's an interim CEO. Someone who in normal conditions manages the transition from a CEO to anoher and normally doesn't make important changes during that period (like to fire 8% of the workforce shutting down an entire studio).

Normally the transition doesn't only is a change of CEO. Normally the new CEO makes also some changes in the vicepresidents, senior vice presidents, people in charge of some subsidiaries etc. to build a team he's comfortable with. The interim CEO also takes part in that process.

As an example if the next CEO is Eric Lempel they'll have to replace him as SVP of marketing promoting someone else there, and that person also with another one etc. And maybe he decides to replace someone like Hermen, or other vice presidents etc.

Pretty likely they already did part of this process and the next CEO will start working April 1, but sometimes it takes a few weeks. I assume Totoki won't be there a month.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
What's with all these people wanting to have their accounts banned?

You people can't have some basic discussion with out going all Postel.

GET A HOLD OF YOUR BLOODY EMOTIONS AND Stop being so Fucking over- Dramatic, you bunch of bloody DRAMA Queens.

I am leaving too now.

@Bryank75 can you please contact me in the morning to see if i still want to be here, thanks

Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
What's with all these people wanting to have their accounts banned?

You people can't have some basic discussion with out going all Postel.

GET A HOLD OF YOUR BLOODY EMOTIONS AND Stop being so Fucking over- Dramatic, you bunch of bloody DRAMA Queens.

I am leaving too now.

@Bryank75 can you please contact me in the morning to see if i still want to be here, thanks

Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF
you are not leaving....
you will be fried...
Happy Food GIF by Mola TV Kids

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
@Gamernyc78 @Bryank75

Please delete my account. I'm done here. Thanks!
That's quite a bizarre reason to ask to be banned... but I will ban the account by the morning if you DM me to confirm the request.

It's a bad news day but we have a lot of good days here and many to come too.
Don't ban the accont. Everybody has a bad day, and to day is a pretty sad day that continues several weeks/months with bad turbulen news in all sides, so everybody is unusually tense.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
PS4 sales are also accounted for funding game development. Why the hell you are ignored PS4 sales for funding game development?

Spiderman 2 sold over 10 million units. And it is still selling. And surely is profitable, same as TLOU 2 which is still selling.
My point was that PC hasn't been that lucrative investment they thought it would be. All the profit they made still can't even fund one of the major games that putting back money in the bank to fund these useless PC ports..

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Those 3 wasn't flop per se, but whole initiativ was.
Plus, they sold it's identity which wasn't worth 50 or 100M extra, especially when they said themselves that they aren't investing those money back to studios or Playstation, those going to mobile etc..
Plus porting to competing platform, Jimbo was brightest 😂
They were flops, they can’t even do 10% of the revenue with way more time. And the ports have only sold worse since then.

Aside from the nonsensically unfair comparision of the original launch version vs full priced ports released many years later, a port that costs 2M and sells 2M at $50 ($35 if we remove the 30% Steam cut) means it generated $70M in revenue to Sony and $68M in profit with a 35x ROI.

35x ROI means being insanely profitable, the opposite of a flop. And these aren't their total lifecycle sales, they will continue selling more.
35x? 😂😂 that sounds good until you realize it’s a measly few million.

Again, if a product is worth over a billion dollars, and you sell it for 40 million, that will always be horrible. It’s 4%, literal pennies. I don’t care if it’s 35x or 600x, trading the benefits of exclusivity for a measly 4% is braindead. They’re going to lose a minimum of 25% from pursuing PC, and that’s being generous.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
We know he's the interim SIE CEO, meaning he is only CEO temporally during the transition between CEOs. Jimbo quitted last year, but since these companies do everything per fiscal year, he stays until the end of the fiscal year, also helping to do the transition. And then in the start of the new fiscal year they promote (or hire) the next CEO.

As a bridge, during this transition there's an interim CEO. Someone who in normal conditions manages the transition from a CEO to anoher and normally doesn't make important changes during that period (like to fire 8% of the workforce shutting down an entire studio).

Normally the transition doesn't only is a change of CEO. Normally the new CEO makes also some changes in the vicepresidents, senior vice presidents, people in charge of some subsidiaries etc. to build a team he's comfortable with. The interim CEO also takes part in that process.

As an example if the next CEO is Eric Lempel they'll have to replace him as SVP of marketing promoting someone else there, and that person also with another one etc. And maybe he decides to replace someone like Hermen, or other vice presidents etc.

Pretty likely they already did part of this process and the next CEO will start working April 1, but sometimes it takes a few weeks. I assume Totoki won't be there a month.

And my tinfoil hat theory is Totoki and investors had Jim graciously step down to avoid a PR disaster and tank the stocks. Totoki will stick around temporary grooming someone while he bends the knee to his overlords and get Playstation on a tight budget leash.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Don't ban the accont. Everybody has a bad day, and to day is a pretty sad day that continues several weeks/months with bad turbulen news in all sides, so everybody is unusually tense.
Why would what's going on in the gaming world make you "unusually tense"? Unless of course you work in the industry and it's directly affecting you. It's a hobby, I disagree with ppl in here sometimes but I don't take it personal unless it's a personal attack but I could care less if someone disagrees with me. Some ppl just need to accept others do not think like they do and it's OK for ppl to think differently and have different opinions. Sony isn't paying my rent nor is any other Corp so I give two shits what ppl say about them

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
And my tinfoil hat theory is Totoki and investors had Jim graciously step down to avoid a PR disaster and tank the stocks. Totoki will stick around temporary grooming someone while he bends the knee to his overlords and get Playstation on a tight budget leash.
it is kinda good. when you have tighter leash, you starting to avaluet what was working and what wasn't etc.. so i hope, that will help them back to the roots.

Reactions: Danja1187

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
it is kinda good. when you have tighter leash, you starting to avaluet what was working and what wasn't etc.. so i hope, that will help them back to the roots.
Back to roots? That idiot Totoki is the one pushing pc, mobile, cloud, and gaas 🤦‍♂️

24 Jun 2022
Seeing plenty of this on X. Like it all pointing to the GAAS strategy and Sony reeling it back big time yet the folks that hated the GAAS strategy from the start somehow aren't realizing that the canceled games are the games that they've been telling PS to get away from. Wild stuff. Lol.

IKR? Shows they either haven't been paying attention to other GaaS-related scale backs at SIE the past few months, or can't correlate relevant points together between that and seeing how many big GaaS titles crashed & burned in just the last couple of months.

For every Helldivers 2 and Palworld, there's been 10x as many GaaS failures in the same span of time, if not more.