PlayStation is laying off around 900 people across the world [Discussion]

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Would be funny is Phil tweets "see we're not the only ones who laid off employees lol we can buy Sony cash in NASDAQ"

anyways, i wish all the best for the ones who worked on the PC ports only, the dude that printed the 8k logo on the box? not sorry for him tbh
images

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think this can go two ways:
  • They double down on their failed PC port strategy, which puts their best games in a competing platform
  • They stop their failed PC port strategy
One interesting coincidence is that Jim Ryan's "retiring" (firing) as announced on September 27, 2023, the same day HFW was announced for PC. This was, as far as I'm aware, the final PC port announced. TLOU2 Remaster was not announced for PC so far, which is weird considering PT1 was announced for PC at the same time as it was for PS5.

So my hope is that the strategy was stopped with Jim's firing, and that HFW is the last port since it was probably pretty much "ready" and the game had already stopped selling on consoles.

Also, HFW stopped selling on consoles because Jim thought it was a good idea to "test the waters" by having it on PS Plus, only for the results to be as expected: It fucked the games profitability and destroyed its sales.
They are 100% doubling down, there is no going back with a guy like Totoki in charge. He doesn't get the nuances of why PlayStation got where it is.

NVidia is now the 4th most valuable company in the world, it's a matter of time until they buy Valve and take over the console market. Sony is giving the PC companies all the tools to take PlayStation out and once it happens it will be well deserved.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Most of the announced live service games are coming from newly acquired studios. If they cancel the project, why acquire the studio in the first place?
That is why it is called bad decision 🤷‍♂️

They planned to release 6 live service games until the end of next FY.
They released 1.
Cancelled the biggest one (Factions)
Cancelled the London's studio one (the studio is being closed)

Let's see what happens with the others 3.

Edit - Fixed to add another cancelled live service game.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony is way smaller than MS/Xbox

SIE is a subsidiary of Sony
Xbox is a division of Microsoft

You can't compare SIE layoffs with MS layoffs, you have to compare SIE layoffs with Xbox layoffs.

Reactions: Evilms

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Bungie, gaas and media molecule lol. be done with those !

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
  • They double down on their failed PC port strategy, which puts their best games in a competing platform
One interesting coincidence is that Jim Ryan's "retiring" (firing) as announced on September 27, 2023, the same day HFW was announced for PC. This was, as far as I'm aware, the final PC port announced. TLOU2 Remaster was not announced for PC so far, which is weird considering PT1 was announced for PC at the same time as it was for PS5.

So my hope is that the strategy was stopped with Jim's firing, and that HFW is the last port since it was probably pretty much "ready" and the game had already stopped selling on consoles.

Until Dawn port was announced just a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Until Dawn port was announced just a couple of weeks ago.
Fair enough, but Until Dawn is a remaster of an old game that nobody even expected would release. I don't put it anywhere close TLOU or GoW levels of importance. Could be a hybrid stategy I guess?

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
So what's the tally at now?

I think we've already passed 2023's total layoffs already (or are at least very close to it), and it's still February.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Rip in peace playstation
1994- 2024
Based on history, I predict Sony will continue in this direction until they remove all the identity from their platform and if if the PS6 shows they lost a lot of momentum they'll probably blame it on the console market and players instead of holding themselves accountable.

From 2009 until around the time Jim Ryan took over. My track record it pretty much perfect I knew Xbox was shit and going nowhere while most people here were probably still praising the Xbox 360.

We might still get a good wave of games to close this gen but that is going to be it. PlayStation completely lost it's identity and in 10 years it will be hard to tell SIE apart from EA, Activision or Ubisoft.

People here were saying PlayStation was going to buy SE, etc, and I was saying that they wouldn't buy shit and now they are laying off 8% of their workforce.
It all rests on the next CEO, whoever they are, PlayStations future is make or break
As long as they get the bad eggs out and shut down all this porting shit.
Sadly no, that idiot Hulst still mentions bringing games to PC and Mobile in his statement today 😐

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Xbox is funded by MS isn't it? they'll never be short of money
Microsoft's leadership is liable to their shareholders. Xbox can only get away with so much before shareholders call them out, which is actually why they are going third party. No matter how much Microsoft tried to hide Xbox losses in their reports, it finally caught up with them.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not necesarilly taking over everything ( yet)

But with AI capabilites and constant improvement in creating motion capture, etc that surely will get rid of the needs for many talent artist in videogames

Might as well become a retro gamer if our games end up becoming AI hallucinated nonsense.

It all rests on the next CEO, whoever they are, PlayStations future is make or break

Sadly no, that idiot Hulst still mentions bringing games to PC and Mobile in his statement today 😐

My money is on Totoki and the other bean counters at Sony selecting someone that is somehow worse than Jim Ryan but I wish I was wrong. The next PlayStation CEO should be someone like Ted Price.

• haha
  • sad
Reactions: JAHGamer and Airbus

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Fair enough, but Until Dawn is a remaster of an old game that nobody even expected would release. I don't put it anywhere close TLOU or GoW levels of importance. Could be a hybrid stategy I guess?
Until Dawn can't count, it predates his booting.

It's just that it wasn't announced.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

Pretty sure this is probably less of a big strategy move but rather the fact that TLoU Part I was a trainwreck on PC.
The port was clearly rushed out the door to coincide with HBO's TLoU Season 1.

We'll just have to see.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He can enter with this comparison and would win so hard

"MS market cap is far bigger than Sony's, we can buy them cash"

Sony

MS

Sony is way smaller than MS/Xbox
I thought we were talking about Xbox vs PlayStation 🤷‍♂️
They layoffs are for the game divisions and not the whole company.

Yes... MS profits more outside gaming than Sony that have as it base gaming.