PlayStation is laying off around 900 people across the world [Discussion]

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I don't think this is a soul searching moment... but if it were, the problem with soul searching is that you can find the wrong soul.

The only thing I think will trigger a true soul searching moment is the PS6 failing to gain traction and/or fail to or barely reach a 100m units sold lifetime. Hardware is the console platform business and the PlayStation edifice is built on it. By then it will be a fight for survival and against a strong tide... which is the problem with soul searching in the first place.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
HZD sold 19m in 2 years on PS4, it did 3m in 3 YEARS on PC.......that is a FLOP
GoW sold 3.1m in 3 days on PS4, it did 2m in 2 YEARS on PC......that is a FLOP
Spider-Man did 3.3m in 3 days on PS4, it did 1.5m in 6 months on PC.....that is also a FLOP

Are you fucking kidding me? Porting was cheap as shit. ROI was big and profitable. I'm scratching my head are some gamers live in reality or not. I'm totally stunned calling these games a flop on PC.

@Gamernyc78 @Bryank75

Please delete my account. I'm done here. Thanks!

It's not a gotcha moment at all, did you even read what I wrote? What do Jim and Hermen have to do with the PS4 generation? Nothing.

It is. You LIKED the post which says how PS5 era is good, yet, you in next post you are saying how Jim ruined that. LOL
Totally contradicting.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Jim Ryand delivered games too. Helldivers 2 was for the vast majority of development under him and Hulst. Same as Spidey, GT7, Ragnarok etc....

Mind you that what Shawn Layden said :

So, same as Phil Spencer. Like i've said, pretending that he is one of us. Glad that kind of exec walked away.

He didn't. Spencer did that before Shawn, yes. Shawn tried to copy Spencer as false gamer. Fuck yeah, Merica style!!

Jim did its job as exec ( as exec should). PS was never so much profitable till Jim stepped in. Also, Shawn Layden didn't faced Covid, Bethesda/ABK buyout, MS infinite warchest. MS threw huge amount of money into gaming and Xbox bend the knee to PlayStation under Ryan, not under Shawn. Who ever imagined before that Xbox would go 3rd party with that kind of money. Well here we are.
So what exactly is the point of this wall of text?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Are you fucking kidding me? Porting was cheap as shit. ROI was big and profitable. I'm scratching my head are some gamers live in reality or not. I'm totally stunned calling these games a flop on PC.

@Gamernyc78 @Bryank75

It is. You LIKED the post which says how PS5 era is good, yet, you in next post you are saying how Jim ruined that. LOL
Totally contradicting.
They are objectively flops. If games that have generated you over a billion dollars in revenue go to a different platform and can only give you an extra 40 million, on what planet is that acceptable? You're being extremely disingenuous.

And you're really leaving because people disagree with you? 😂🤣 Why not bring some real arguments instead?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
He was chairman of Worldwide Studios (not SIE) from March 2018 to September 2019, only during a year and a half, while Shuhei Yoshida was the head of Worldwide Studios and John Khodera was CEO of SIE (SCE back then).

He was there only during a year and a half, but was one of those who decided to expand to PC and mobile. You should thank him for that.

Totoki is going to be CEO of SIE temporally until they put someone as the next SIE CEO once Jim officially leaves March 31th.

I already slammed Shawn Layden in this thread for being the one to push this PC initiative?? Which is why his name was brought up in the first place by me? 🤦🏽‍♂️

I have no issues with Mobile. That's the area they should have focused on instead PC which is chipping away at their console business.

And we don't know how long Totoki will be CEO for... The word temporary doesn't say much. He can literally be there for a year... And he will only step down when he finds someone he approves of... So either way he stays.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They are objectively flops. If games that have generated you over a billion dollars in revenue go to a different platform and can only give you an extra 40 million, on what planet is that acceptable? You're being extremely disingenuous.

And you're really leaving because people disagree with you? 😂🤣 Why not bring some real arguments instead?
All those games on PC their profits put together still couldn't fund Spiderman 2 or even TLOU 2.

PC has been a failure outside of Helldivers 2 lol.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Those 3 wasn't flop per se, but whole initiativ was.
Plus, they sold it's identity which wasn't worth 50 or 100M extra, especially when they said themselves that they aren't investing those money back to studios or Playstation, those going to mobile etc..
Plus porting to competing platform, Jimbo was brightest 😂

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
All those games on PC their profits put together still couldn't fund Spiderman 2 or even TLOU 2.

PC has been a failure outside of Helldivers 2 lol.
I am looking at those ports simple, if you porting games, you share expenses for said games. Like, if games costed 200M, PC part should cover 100M.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

@Gamernyc78 @Bryank75

Totally contradicting.
You want to delete your account because some people don't agree with you? :p

There are also residual effects of putting your games on other platforms. Like ... you know ... making your primary platform less important. Less focus on core competencies. And more. It's not just a few dozen million more in the bank and everything else is awesome.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023

How they can be OBJECTIVELY flops when they were profitable? LOL. You literally have games list which were profitable during Insomniac leak. That's the real argument. It is all there.

PS4 sales are also accounted for funding game development. Why the hell you are ignored PS4 sales for funding game development?

Spiderman 2 sold over 10 million units. And it is still selling. And surely is profitable, same as TLOU 2 which is still selling.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And yes, ALL PC ports flopped.

HZD sold 19m in 2 years on PS4, it did 3m in 3 YEARS on PC.......that is a FLOP
GoW sold 3.1m in 3 days on PS4, it did 2m in 2 YEARS on PC......that is a FLOP
Spider-Man did 3.3m in 3 days on PS4, it did 1.5m in 6 months on PC.....that is also a FLOP

These games after years can't even do what they do in 3 days on console. You're crazy if you think these "did well"
Aside from the nonsensically unfair comparision of the original launch version vs full priced ports released many years later, a port that costs 2M and sells 2M at $50 ($35 if we remove the 30% Steam cut) means it generated $70M in revenue to Sony and $68M in profit with a 35x ROI.

35x ROI means being insanely profitable, the opposite of a flop. And these aren't their total lifecycle sales, they will continue selling more.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
How they can be OBJECTIVELY flops when they were profitable? LOL. You literally have games list which were profitable during Insomniac leak. That's the real argument. It is all there.

PS4 sales are also accounted for funding game development. Why the hell you are ignored PS4 sales for funding game development?

Spiderman 2 sold over 10 million units. And it is still selling. And surely is profitable, same as TLOU 2 which is still selling.
hang in there buddy. it's gonna be hilarious to be proven right over and over again.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Seem like you guys do nothing but whine. 400 posts lol.

Don't you guys have lik| a big game coming to play and discuss. I see no discussion here, just constant whinings.

Imagine being an "avid fan" in 2013-2015. You lots probably gonna melt harder than Chernobyl.

Anyway, I am off until tommorow, hope at least there would be some discussions when a game actually release.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Aside from the nonsensically unfair comparision of the original launch version vs full priced ports released many years later, a port that costs 2M and sells 2M at $50 ($35 if we remove the 30% Steam cut) means it generated $70M in revenue to Sony and $68M in profit with a 35x ROI.

35x ROI means being insanely profitable, the opposite of a flop. And these aren't their total lifecycle sales, they will continue selling more.

The game wasn't developed for nothing though, it's unfair at the point a game becomes multiplatform to not share ALL the development cost between the platforms.

I mean saddling PS5 with all the major dev cost gives a ridiculously skewed picture and no other multiplat developer would do that.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
You want to delete your account because some people don't agree with you? :p

There are also residual effects of putting your games on other platforms. Like ... you know ... making your primary platform less important. Less focus on core competencies. And more. It's not just a few dozen million more in the bank and everything else is awesome.

I know i didn't said anything wrong. How someone can't agree with someone if he didn't said anything wrong? 🤔And also reading here some dubiuos things like PS games on PC were flops... yes i want to my account to be banned, permanently . Really

@Gamernyc78 @Bryank75

Please.

hang in there buddy. it's gonna be hilarious to be proven right over and over again.

No. I'm done. Let these guys yelling here : PS going 3rd party, PS games failed, PS5 failed... And what not. Well, at least I've witnessed how Xbox with infinite money bend the knee to PlayStation.

• fire
Reactions: The Icon

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

According Sony's documents, ports can cost up to and over 30M +.

Plus, these games, didn't appear out of nowhere, you have to count original investment. Which was 200M for Spider Man,. So 100M for each platform to cover it. So if they made according to you 70M, they have short of 30M profit still.
Plus, how about indirect losses? People keep ignoring those, like fuck me, if you keep analysis, analyze fully.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Airbus

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
All this whiny shit and all this "discussion" as if Rebirth isn't coming soon and HD2 being a surprise hit makes me want to leave this place too, at least for a while.
Seriously stop being a part of M$ negativity astroturfing campaign.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I know i didn't said anything wrong. How someone can't agree with someone if he didn't said anything wrong? 🤔And also reading here some dubiuos things like PS games on PC were flops... yes i want to my account to be banned, permanently . Really

@Gamernyc78 @Bryank75

Please.

No. I'm done. Let these guys yelling here. PS going 3rd party, PS games failed... And what not. Well, at least I've witnessed how Xbox with infinite money bend the knee to PlayStation.
That's quite a bizarre reason to ask to be banned... but I will ban the account by the morning if you DM me to confirm the request.

It's a bad news day but we have a lot of good days here and many to come too.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Not great to see people lose their jobs but other than that I’m not sure what the bad news really is.

Losing London Studio which has been pretty average over the last decade?

Bloat removed from the large studios and more emphasis of lower budgets for games?

More GaaS games cancelled to focus on narrative games?

Confirmation from Hermen that PlayStation is focused on Playstation, PC and Mobile which we already knew?

Shutting up the SonyToo gang who were hoping that Playstation will release on Xbox.