Playstation PC Ports that cost under $30m just need an email approval from Sony/Jim Ryan to get funded

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This is from Insomniac ransomware leak regarding PC.

On top of that Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine already have PC builds.

So it seems like Jim Ryan sees the value of Playstation exclusives as worth less than 30 million and an email. No wonder so many flops were allowed to be released.

And no wonder Insomniac games after Ratchet have looked less impressive to me, why are they also developing PC builds simultaneously with PS5. That defeats the whole purpose of pushing a fixed hardware to its limits.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
This is from Insomniac ransomware leak regarding PC.

On top of that Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine already have PC builds.

So it seems like Jim Ryan sees the value of Playstation exclusives as worth less than 30 million and an email. No wonder so many flops were allowed to be released.

And no wonder Insomniac games after Ratchet have looked less impressive to me, why are they also developing PC builds simultaneously with PS5. That defeats the whole purpose of pushing a fixed hardware to its limits.
lol ofc they have pc builds they are built on a pc. Also porting a game does not cost anywhere near 30 million and all ps games are going to pc that is a fact why do we have keep retreading this. That will not going to change

Reactions: Eggman

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Damn, PC players should've kickstarted the funding of Bloodborne, they would get that amount in a single day. Maybe Sony would be kind enough to also release it on PS5 for us peasants.

Had their best November on record…..
Short term, still benefiting from PS4 momentum, reputation and the fact that Xbox sucks.

The real competition hasn't even showed their face yet. Valve, Nintendo, Apple, Epic, everyone is paying attention to how exposed PlayStation is becoming.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeah just look at the horrible console sales smh it’s the highest they’ve been since the os2 era but Jim Ryan is totally ruing it 🙄
The exact same argument used by Xbox fan early in this gen when the Series was outpacing their previous console. Look at how that turned out.

Reactions: nongkris

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah just look at the horrible console sales smh it’s the highest they’ve been since the os2 era but Jim Ryan is totally ruing it 🙄
You guys keep mentioning sales. As if you don't know how the concept of carried over momentum and goodwill works lol.

Let's see how things go for the PS6, that's when we'll see what or how much damage was done.

Xbox One also sold almost 60 million thanks to the 360 and now we see the effects of the Xbox One affecting the Series.

Reactions: Diah and Nhomnhom

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
PS5 endless momentum from the PS4. Just face it folks, Sony delayed PC ports at full price have no effect on console sales. Just salty fanboys on forums and social media.

They know what they are doing. High margins and no risk.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
PS5 endless momentum from the PS4. Just face it folks, Sony delayed PC ports at full price have no effect on console sales. Just salty fanboys on forums and social media.

High margins, wasting precious time of their studios to in the end sell a fraction of what those games sell on PS5. That dev and support time could've gone to anything else and it would've been a better use or resources.

You also can't know how much better the PS5 would be doing if all those games were still exclusives, not being given away on services, etc.

If Sony knows better does that mean Nintendo doesn't know what they are doing? That sounds a lot like what Phil Spencer wrote on that internal email.

Sony shouldn't listen to their audience that got them here, they should listen to PC players...

24 Jun 2022
"i think the more the better" - jim ryan

easy money.

I wonder if Valve engages in astroturfing too 🤔....

Hmm...such endless momentum they had to drop the price of old models to $349 and came in at 20% less revenue & units sold than the year prior? Mind you, I KNOW why they did the cuts for those old models, and I KNOW why it was 20% down in America specifically, but I'll see if you know that or are just going to repeat some other marketing spiel.

I think we'll see what true demand level for PS5 is now that the new model has been introduced, the holiday shopping season is basically over, and the strategy of their PC porting efforts has become more widely known (whether or not there has since been a change internally). In particular we should be looking at what the high-end ARPU is like, to see if core enthusiasts still continue buying into the ecosystem as they currently are (or increase), or if that starts to drop off.

Because if the latter, it'd signal that Sony have basically began transitioning some core enthusiasts, their most valued customers ARPU-wise, over to PC/Steam, and any drops in revenue from that would naturally get mostly or completely negated by uptick of newer, more casual/mainstream gamers buying PS5s. But they are going to naturally be lower-ARPU types of customers. If PS5 Pro is coming next year and its numbers are soft compared to PS4 Pro, that will be even more telling that some core/enthusiasts have probably began switching over to PC.

And since they are almost always your first adopters to new systems, can you take a guess what this would signal for PS6 sales? That's right, they would start a lot more slowly than PS5 or even PS4, because a decent chunk of would-be early adopters are now on PC/Steam and willing to wait for the eventual ports to that platform. Or, if they are cross-gen games with no PC port, they'd just get the PS5 version but still rather not buy that new PS6.

It's a losing strategy for SIE long-term in prosperity of PlayStation as a console business, but like Xbox, it would take several years after initialization of such efforts to finally, fully manifest damaging impacts. The only reason it wouldn't be as bad with PlayStation is because its simply a bigger brand than Xbox has ever been at its peak, so the floor is higher. But best believe, they would still drop towards that floor, when they should be sailing towards that ceiling.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Another question then. If all these ports are costing sub 30m does that mean that all along we were kept without many games stuck on PS3 because Sony wasn't willing to invest that small sum of money? :ROFLMAO:

Console peasants indeed, they really see console players as second class citizens and take them for granted.

Very tempting to turn heel and embrace the core values of being a PC only player.

• sad
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
HFW sold slower than HZD, when it should have realistically sold much faster. I did the math quite a while back, but it most likely still stands.

So no, there's clearly at least some indication that PC ports impact sales.