Playstation PC Ports that cost under $30m just need an email approval from Sony/Jim Ryan to get funded

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
It's such an easy argument to make. People don't understand that the more mature an ecosystem is, the less incentive people have to leave, and the more recurring revenue you keep.

Sony is giving those that play both on PC and PS an excuse to leave their ecosystem, which in turn will cost them large swathes of revenue. I know quite a few people that will move away from PS if ports are day and date, and I myself am one of them.

Same here. I built a gaming PC recently and right now, the only game I even envision touching my PS5 for in the next few years is FFVII: Rebirth. If it came out on Steam day 1, I would simply get the version that looks and runs better -- i.e. on my PC.

Nothing against PC ports personally, but they should be very staggered from their console release.

Reactions: Diah and nongkris

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is from Insomniac ransomware leak regarding PC.

On top of that Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine already have PC builds.

So it seems like Jim Ryan sees the value of Playstation exclusives as worth less than 30 million and an email. No wonder so many flops were allowed to be released.

And no wonder Insomniac games after Ratchet have looked less impressive to me, why are they also developing PC builds simultaneously with PS5. That defeats the whole purpose of pushing a fixed hardware to its limits.
Pro-tip: all videogames, including the console only videogames, are developed in PCs.

To ease internal testing, debugging, prototyping or bugfixes we make PC builds even if the game isn't intended to be released on PC. In my case, I've been working now on a UE VR game (just completed a vertical slice) and we made builds to play them on PC using a standard monitor (in addition to Quest 2 builds), even if -as of now- don't plan to release a non-VR version, but it's something we may evaluate in the future.

Because there are a ton of things that can be developed, tested and prototyped in the PC, no need to do it in the final hardware.

And well, according to the leaked slide $30M was the cost of the full Spider-Man Remastered project, not its PC port.

It defeats the whole purpose of purchasing Nixxess (and arguably BluePoint but let's see what their new IP is, I guess). Nixxess should port afterwards, why are 1P devs making concurrent development sku's for PC.
They bought Nixxes to port afterwards and to keep the devs from studios like Insommniac free from porting other than maybe a handful guys supporting them from time to time.

PC builds from games like Wolverine are for internal prototyping and testing in any dev computer that needs it, specially now that many people works remotely.

The idea of having teams like Nixxes, Valkyrie or external ones like Iron Galaxy is that: to port afterwards. Even if once they ported some games pretty likely introduced some stuff to ease future ports of games made in that engine leaving almost no work required to do the port.

Will switch 2 offer 2007 IQ standards at least? They need to do that before giving anyone a wake up call.
I expect it to offer PS4 IQ standards + some extra trick like low tier RT or DLSS to make them look nicer. Seen in a smaller screen less detail is needed, so maybe the impression will be playing something like between PS4 Pro and Series S.

PC+Steam is the only platform that lasts in the long term. Not because of PC master race shit, just purely because consoles by nature must push you to the Next Big Thing.
One thing of modern consoles using tweaked PC hardware is this: to ensure BC. But both in consoles and PC, for games that require servers once the game doesn't generate enough the servers are shut down.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
This is from Insomniac ransomware leak regarding PC.

On top of that Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine already have PC builds.

So it seems like Jim Ryan sees the value of Playstation exclusives as worth less than 30 million and an email. No wonder so many flops were allowed to be released.

And no wonder Insomniac games after Ratchet have looked less impressive to me, why are they also developing PC builds simultaneously with PS5. That defeats the whole purpose of pushing a fixed hardware to its limits.
It defeats the whole purpose of purchasing Nixxess (and arguably BluePoint but let's see what their new IP is, I guess). Nixxess should port afterwards, why are 1P devs making concurrent development sku's for PC.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
PC builds may not be ports. Engineers would use PC hardware for R&D purposes wither it's hardware or software. Gears of War 3 has a complete and almost "gone gold" level Playstation 3 build.

I am just guessing.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
One thing of modern consoles using tweaked PC hardware is this: to ensure BC. But both in consoles and PC, for games that require servers once the game doesn't generate enough the servers are shut down.
Backwards compatibility, not improved performance/visuals.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
These PC ports are making so little money based on that leaked chart that Sony would be better off just selling PS+ on PC and having crossbuy between PlayStation and PC on their own store or something, maybe even just getting money from Epic Store would make more sense.

Days Gone net sales were 22m from the PC version vs 265m from the PS4 version.
Horizon Zero Down net sales were 51m from the PC vs 481m and from the PS4 version.

Hardly a 10% boost in exchange for having to support an entire new platform (a particularly challenging one), makes even supporting the Xbox Series look great in comparison.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
All this guy wants is to see PlayStation hurting...

Xbox sucking so much is what allowed Sony to be this complacent. Imagine getting your ass handled by a company that can't even bother with showing their playerbase what they are cooking after you already blew your load multiple times.

Get Nixxess to work on a PS3 BC solution or to at least port key games still stranded on the PS3.

At this point completely reverting the PC strategy is probably not a realistic option and it makes sense for GaaS games to release day 1 on PC but they should make the single players release window longer and longer.

Ragnarok for example shouldn't be released on PC until they have something else on that IP about to release on PlayStation.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan