PlayStation Plus Yearly Cost Soars by 600% in Turkey, Sparking Outrage

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
image.png

ISTANBUL, TURKEY - Sony Interactive Entertainment has left Turkish PlayStation Plus subscribers stunned and infuriated as they announced a staggering price increase of over 600% for the yearly subscription service. Effective immediately, the yearly cost has surged from 400 Turkish Lira (TRY) to a jaw-dropping 2,340 TRY, sending shockwaves through the gaming community.
While this decision may have sent shockwaves through the gaming community, it has certainly pleased investors, who eagerly anticipate higher profits for the Japanese tech giant. Bloomberg (paywall) reported that Sony's shares in Tokyo increased by an impressive 3.4% on Friday, marking the company's most significant gain in over a month.

CLSA analyst Amit Garg suggested that this substantial price hike could translate to an additional $378 million in annual operating profits for Sony, with the possibility of further increases on the horizon. However, the move does not come without risks. Recent surveys indicate that half of Push Square's readers polled are considering downgrading their subscription tier or canceling their PlayStation Plus subscriptions altogether.
The magnitude of this price increase has taken many by surprise, with the annual cost of the most basic PlayStation Plus Extra membership leaping from 400 TRY to 2,340 TRY in Turkey. Sony's introduction of new subscription tiers appears to have been effective in increasing the average revenue per user. Nevertheless, the company now faces the daunting task of retaining its roughly 50 million subscribers worldwide who may choose not to renew their subscriptions in the wake of this substantial price hike.
For Turkish gamers who have long enjoyed the perks of PlayStation Plus, this dramatic price hike represents a tough pill to swallow. As the gaming community watches closely to see how this decision impacts Sony's subscriber base, it remains to be seen whether the promise of increased profits will outweigh the potential loss of loyal customers. PlayStation Plus subscribers in Turkey, as well as across the globe, will undoubtedly be keeping a close eye on how this story unfolds in the coming months.
New prices are:
- Essential for 1400 TRY (up from 240 TRY)
- Extra for 2340 TRY (up from 400 TRY)
- Deluxe for 2740 TRY (up from 460 TRY)

So still a bit cheaper than EU prices and in-line with new prices in Malaysia and Thailand.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I mean, no matter if it's cheaper in comparison to other regions...that is still quite a shock for customers in Turkey.

What is PlayStation thinking? Is it not concerned about alienating the fanbase? This is kinda worrying.

Reactions: Puff and JAHGamer

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
PlayStation is trying to quickly erase the goodwill earned in the past few decades
what is the consumer going to do?....buy an Xbox?...oh wait?.

one of 3 things:

1. Sony is pretty confident in their lineup of games and services.

2. They have to do this for business reasons.

3. They are testing how hard they can squeeze their consumer.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I mean, no matter if it's cheaper in comparison to other regions...that is still quite a shock for customers in Turkey.

What is PlayStation thinking? Is it not concerned about alienating the fanbase? This is kinda worrying.

PlayStation is trying to quickly erase the goodwill earned in the past few decades

I think the reason is the exploiting the low prices of PS+ Turkey. So, Sony alienated that now. Same was with the Xbox Live Turkey and stacking Gamepass

Or maybe this fellow gamer fucked up his nation

The reddit community shared a curious image that surprised many. In it you can see the screen of a Turkish gamer who extended his PlayStation Plus Deluxe subscription for 27 years. It can be seen that the fan paid ₺46000 TRY (Turkish lira) to have access to the service until 2050.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Didn't they have a turkish headquarters or marketing arm they just laid off or closed last year? Big oof

• Surprised
Reactions: Bryank75

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I think the reason is the exploiting the low prices of PS+ Turkey. So, Sony alienated that now. Same was with the Xbox Live Turkey and stacking Gamepass

That makes sense, but damn, that sucks for Turkeys. There has to be some kind of solution to this that isn’t so dire.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
This is because people from Western countries keep buying subs/games from the Turkish store to get it for cheap.

You can blame those people for the large increase. Eventually Sony/other publishers will start taking a large hit if people keep buying stuff from Turkish store, it's priced cheap so the people of that country can afford it.

No doubt sonys is responsible for an increase on ps plus, but this bigger increase is for those other factors.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Now the Turks know how Constantinople felt!

What does Sony think they’re doing? You can’t treat Turkey like they treat Canada!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

This is because people from Western countries keep buying subs/games from the Turkish store to get it for cheap.

You can blame those people for the large increase. Eventually Sony/other publishers will start taking a large hit if people keep buying stuff from Turkish store, it's priced cheap so the people of that country can afford it.

No doubt sonys is responsible for an increase on ps plus, but this bigger increase is for those other factors.

It may also be related to currency exchange or inflation issues, maybe they wanted to use the price rise to make the prices in the different markets more similar to reduce the exploit of buying in cheaper stores. I have no idea.

In any case, it sucks for players from Turkey.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
It may also be related to currency exchange or inflation issues, maybe they wanted to use the price rise to make the prices in the different markets more similar to reduce the exploit of buying in cheaper stores. I have no idea.

In any case, it sucks for players from Turkey.
Or JImbo is just a greedy cunt.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Arc

5 Sep 2023
For a solution to the abusing Turkey thing, I wonder if they could make a logical, normal price for those with locally bought PSN cards (if those are a thing there), but kill the debit or credit card purchases.

Basically a solution without going so far as letting region lock back in the door for a future system. Sucks that opportunists have to ruin it for everyone.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Same with Argentina, its a very big problem on steam

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
For a solution to the abusing Turkey thing, I wonder if they could make a logical, normal price for those with locally bought PSN cards (if those are a thing there), but kill the debit or credit card purchases.

Basically a solution without going so far as letting region lock back in the door for a future system. Sucks that opportunists have to ruin it for everyone.
Abusing the turkey sounds like a euphemism for masturbation!

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

My friend does this for GamePass, buys Turkish keys online and uses a vpn. He can get 3 years of GamePass ultimate for like $40 USD. I told him even at that price it still isn’t worth it to me.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
There is something to be said here about the Turkish lira depreciating, as well as building a cushion for the continued uncertainty around this currency. If you've been following the lira you understand this. You add to those negative trends the price hike and you get something like that.

The question is, besides the price hike, how much of that price adjustment is just basic exchange rate conversion, and how much of that is the cushion. Then judge whether the cushion is out of hand. The price hike alone has topics of its own.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Imagine blaming people for corporate greed. Capitalisms biggest win is, beyond a shadow of doubt, its capacity to have the guy at the bottom blame the other guy at the bottom while the guys at the top laugh their way to the bank.