Playstation portal review thread and |OT| "The power is now in your hands"

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Ordered.
I don't suppose this think can log into a PS4 can it?

I truely, truely hate PS5's dashboard layout, and if not for speed of game loading/better downloading speeds in PS5 vs PS4, I honestly think I'd switch-back.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Up and running, the screen size is magnificent. This size, together with full fat controller surrounding it is all the difference. MY iPhone 14 Pro Max is joke of a size next to this.

Could there also be some form of full array local dimming?? Seemed to be the case. When started up, the white PS logo was swimming in typical LCD grey, all of a sudden it clicked through to a pure black surrounding logo. :unsure:. Perhaps latest firmware enabled dormant hardware? Need more analysis, I'm sure it would have been picked up.

Still to try real world multi user use considering it seems logged into a single PSN account. How much of a hassle will it be to switch.

One negative that is clear to me is occasional micro stutter. It's not a connection issue - that is strong. It's either encoding by console or decoding by device. Hope there is some potential of ironing it out to feel more premium, but the issue is not as bad as it sounds.

Expecting even more with a PS5 pro potentially carrying more focus of design towards streaming.

edit: no FALD sadly. Got fooled by a black level shift during light of day. Ahh, if only this was OLED.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Up and running, the screen size is magnificent. This size, together with full fat controller surrounding it is all the difference.

Could there also be some form of full array local dimming too? Seemed to be the case. When started up, the white PS logo was swimming in typical LCD grey, all of a sudden it clicked through to a pure black around the logo. :unsure:. Perhaps latest firmware enabled dormant hardware? Need more analysis, I'm sure it would have been picked up.

Still to try real world multi user use considering it seems logged into a single PSN account.

One negative that is clear to me is occasional micro stutter. It's not a connection issue - that is strong. It's either encoding by console or decoding by device. Hope there is some hope of ironing it out.

Expecting even more with a PS5 pro potentially carrying more focus of design towards streaming.
I see you professional reviewer 👀☺️

• haha
Reactions: Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
So the single account is lame as hell. For someone else to use it it requires a complete cycle of logout and log another in, choose the ps to connect to etc etc, the full process each time from scratch.

if you have ps app on phone at least you can scan the QR code to skip typing in your credentials each time.

Why not include multiple accounts Sony…it’s a fuking controller with a screen for use around the house. You expect everyone to have their own?

So illogical and lacking real world testing. The hardware is magnificent tho.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So the single account is lame as hell. For someone else to use it it requires a complete cycle of logout and log another in, choose the ps to connect to etc etc, the full process each time from scratch.

if you have ps app on phone at least you can scan the QR code to skip typing in your credentials each time.

Why not include multiple accounts Sony…it’s a fuking controller with a screen for use around the house. You expect everyone to have their own?

So illogical and lacking real world testing. The hardware is magnificent tho.
I agree they need to allow more than one account.

Reactions: Shmunter

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Ffs this don't work on PS4 or youtube app. Swing and a miss.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
No L3/R3 that I recall? I used to have that setup and others.
There was a sticky thing you could put on and remove. Depends on the product. I don't think it hampered me playing the PS4 as much as I thought. The Vita cover made the PS1 games utterly playable.

You could also map the l3 r3 to the corners of the screen.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Been using the Portal all evening, I’m mad I couldn’t get one sooner! This thing is great and a 100x better remote play experience than any phone could ever give. Can’t wait to use it more

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Been using the Portal all evening, I’m mad I couldn’t get one sooner! This thing is great and a 100x better remote play experience than any phone could ever give. Can’t wait to use it more
Thts me at times just laying in my bed playing my Portal.

Reactions: JAHGamer