PlayStation Studios Aiming to ‘Continuously Release Hit Titles,’ Says Sony

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They released a big hit few months ago after some months of other big hit 🤷‍♂️
And probably will strike another big hit next month.

I dk why people continue to ignore this lol

Helldivers 2 is still currently the highest selling game this year.

Astro bot won’t be the highest selling but highly rated

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
They clearly ramped up PC ports to make up for the lack of actual new 1st party games. Two back to back years with only 1 game.

You said they released 13 games on PC BEFORE releasing one single player game on PlayStation. Dude, they ended that with Miles Morales at launch. Horizon was already on PC and right after that, boom, here's Miles Morales and Demon's Souls if you want to include remakes.

You're acting like Sony released 13 games on PC and ZERO games on PlayStation 5 which obviously isn't the case. They released Miles, Demon's Souls, Returnal, Destruction All Stars, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Aprt, four MLB games, Horizon Forbidden West plus an expansion, God of War Ragnarok, Spider Man 2, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and in a few weeks Concord followed by Astro Bot two weeks later.

How is it ONLY ONE game while PC has gotten 13? Half of which are last generation PS4 games. Like, who cares? Sony made their money off those games and are trying to build up the IP which is exactly what they SHOULD be doing.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Get out of here, no one is exaggerating....

All the games released so far this gen were announced in 2020, it's now 2024.....

Since 2021 Sony has announced 1 (ONE) new single player game and that's Astro Bot which was just recently.

And since 2021, they've ported THIRTEEN games to PC 🤡 Do your research before saying someone is exaggerating. 13 PC ports in the time frame it took to get ONE new single player game announced, I'm 100% right.

May 2021- Days Gone
Jan 2022 - God of War
August 2022 - Spider-Man
October 2022 - Uncharted 4
October 2022 - Uncharted Lost Legacy
October 2022 - Sackboy
November 2022 - Spider-Man Miles Morales
February 2023 - Returnal
March 2023 - TLOU 1 Remake
July 2023 - Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
March 2024 - Horizon Forbidden West
May 2024 - Ghost of Tsushima
September 2024 - God of War Ragnarok

They clearly ramped up PC ports to make up for the lack of actual new 1st party games. Two back to back years with only 1 game.
We know from the Insomniac leak that they have stuff planned. This is just them paying the piper for announcing things too early (and its even worse on MS's side.) They've smartly switched to closer announcements but that means there'll be a few years of a gap before they have new project announcements.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
You said they released 13 games on PC BEFORE releasing one single player game on PlayStation. Dude, they ended that with Miles Morales at launch. Horizon was already on PC and right after that, boom, here's Miles Morales and Demon's Souls if you want to include remakes.

You're acting like Sony released 13 games on PC and ZERO games on PlayStation 5 which obviously isn't the case. They released Miles, Demon's Souls, Returnal, Destruction All Stars, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Aprt, four MLB games, Horizon Forbidden West plus an expansion, God of War Ragnarok, Spider Man 2, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and in a few weeks Concord followed by Astro Bot two weeks later.

How is it ONLY ONE game while PC has gotten 13? Half of which are last generation PS4 games. Like, who cares? Sony made their money off those games and are trying to build up the IP which is exactly what they SHOULD be doing.
I meant announced, but it's essentially the same crap. We knew all of those game were coming years in advance and they're literally all cross gen or sequels besides Returnal. We're 4 years in and we have 1 new IP and back to back years with only one 1st party single player game. All the while 13 games get ported to PC, stop being disingenuous kid. And 2nd party games are not 1st party 🤦‍♂️ Like I just said in the other thread, you're taking your silly Xbox fanboy behavior and moving over to PlayStation side....nothing changed with you.

We know from the Insomniac leak that they have stuff planned. This is just them paying the piper for announcing things too early (and its even worse on MS's side.) They've smartly switched to closer announcements but that means there'll be a few years of a gap before they have new project announcements.
No...there is no consistency, two years with only one single player game release. PS4 gen announced things even further in advance but we still had several new IP in the same time frame as well as multiple games releasing each year.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I meant announced, but it's essentially the same crap. We knew all of those game were coming years in advance and they're literally all cross gen or sequels besides Returnal. We're 4 years in and we have 1 new IP and back to back years with only one 1st party single player game. All the while 13 games get ported to PC, stop being disingenuous kid. And 2nd party games are not 1st party 🤦‍♂️ Like I just said in the other thread, you're taking your silly Xbox fanboy behavior and moving over to PlayStation side....nothing changed with you.

How can I be an Xbox fanboy if im favoring/defending PlayStation? LMAO

I don't get how I can be both even though I am a fan of both Microsoft and Sony. Like and enjoy both my Xbox Series X and my PlayStation 5.

I have a question for you - if/when Sony has a massive major PlayStation Showcase with a great roadmap and games from the internal studios that you're waiting on, will you finally be happy or will you still be complaining about their PC ports which im sure you know isn't ending whatsoever?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
How can I be an Xbox fanboy if im favoring/defending PlayStation? LMAO

I don't get how I can be both even though I am a fan of both Microsoft and Sony. Like and enjoy both my Xbox Series X and my PlayStation 5.
Work on your reading comprehension....I didn't say you were an Xbox fanboy. I said you're taking your old Xbox fanboy habits over to the blue side, which you clearly are.

I have a question for you - if/when Sony has a massive major PlayStation Showcase with a great roadmap and games from the internal studios that you're waiting on, will you finally be happy or will you still be complaining about their PC ports which im sure you know isn't ending whatsoever?
I'm always happy

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

No...there is no consistency, two years with only one single player game release. PS4 gen announced things even further in advance but we still had several new IP in the same time frame as well as multiple games releasing each year.
Spiderman 2, Horizon CotM and GoW 2 all released within the past two years, plus yearly MLB. And if you don't want to accept GoW for being "too old" despite being within your timeframe then I'll force you to accept Astrobot instead.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Spiderman 2, Horizon CotM and GoW 2 all released within the past two years, plus yearly MLB. And if you don't want to accept GoW for being "too old" despite being within your timeframe then I'll force you to accept Astrobot instead.
I'm already counting Astro Bot. Astro Bot 2024, Spider-Man 2023, and we can count COTM if you want, even though 98% of PS5 owners can't play it...Still a poor showing. Definitely not counting MLB since it's a low effort, expected yearly release thats now on GamePass day 1 every year.

From a 1st party perspective, PS fans were ok with 2023 being a "down year" because we thought they'd deliver in 2024 but they clearly aren't. And now it's looking like 2025 will also be another year with just one single player 1st party game (Death Stranding 2 isn't 1st party). That'll be 3 years in a row with only one game, and year 5 with only 1 new IP (not counting trash Flopcord), that's abysmal and unacceptable.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I have a gut feeling some of you might bought a PS4 (maybe swapped from Xbox) at the end of the gen and accumulated the backlog over the years maybe played in a 3 year span abundance of goodness while titles came out and expected the same going into the PS5? Or wearing heavy nostalgia glasses.

Cause for PS4 if we strictly go 1st party only:
2013: Knack & Killzone
2014: Driveclub & Infamous
2015:
2016: Last Guardian & Uncharted 4

You might say where's Bloodborne and Order 1886 in 2015, not 1st party studios
Where's Ratchet and Until Dawn in 2016, not 1st party studios (Insomniac was acquired after Spider-Man).

The big studios already dropped their games front loaded in the gen with PS5. I mean a really strong launch and 3 staple franchises dropped in one year in 2022. The next one on the schedule is Bend & Naughty Dogg and we know the former had internal struggles and ND has fumbled with Factions that was meant to drop this year. So any criticism on them is valid especially Druckman and co even though you could say they dropped a title 4 years ago.

Obviously Totoki came out and said he would go more aggro with PC ports to supplement revenue with Ghost, GoW, Until Dawn outside of live-service to fill in the ''blockbuster'' sales, they never imagined Helldivers 2 would do so well and I don't want to get too ahead of myself don't expect Astrobot to do crazy either. They came out honestly about not having a big title this fiscal. Sony has supplemented with deals/partnerships whenever they had a gap in their release schedule and I can't complain with the titles they'v given me.

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I have a gut feeling some of you might bought a PS4 (maybe swapped from Xbox) at the end of the gen and accumulated the backlog over the years maybe played in a 3 year span abundance of goodness while titles came out and expected the same going into the PS5? Or wearing heavy nostalgia glasses.

Cause for PS4 if we strictly go 1st party only:
2013: Knack & Killzone
2014: Driveclub & Infamous
2015:
2016: Last Guardian & Uncharted 4

You might say where's Bloodborne and Order 1886 in 2015, not 1st party studios
Where's Ratchet and Until Dawn in 2016, not 1st party studios (Insomniac was acquired after Spider-Man).

The big studios already dropped their games front loaded in the gen with PS5. I mean a really strong launch and 3 staple franchises dropped in one year in 2022. The next one on the schedule is Bend & Naughty Dogg and we know the former had internal struggles and ND has fumbled with Factions that was meant to drop this year. So any criticism on them is valid especially Druckman and co even though you could say they dropped a title 4 years ago.

Obviously Totoki came out and said he would go more aggro with PC ports to supplement revenue with Ghost, GoW, Until Dawn outside of live-service to fill in the ''blockbuster'' sales, they never imagined Helldivers 2 would do so well and I don't want to get too ahead of myself don't expect Astrobot to do crazy either. They came out honestly about not having a big title this fiscal. Sony has supplemented with deals/partnerships whenever they had a gap in their release schedule and I can't complain with the titles they'v given me.
Well that's one way to rewrite history by omitting actual Sony IP's in a thread where someone is also bragging Helldivers 2 is the biggest PS game of the year 🤣

And ironically that Person also liked your post 🤣... What a web we weave 🤣

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer and arvfab

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Well that's one way to rewrite history by omitting actual Sony IP's in a thread where someone is also bragging Helldivers 2 is the biggest PS game of the year 🤣

And ironically that Person also liked your post 🤣... What a web we weave 🤣
Rewritten? No that's using the standards others are using and reflecting it on PS4. 1st party only standard, studio owned by Sony. This is the result, not very impressive ain't it. Quite poor actually with the launch as well if we consider Knack is a meme game and Shadowfall is the worst one in the series, in addition Driveclub was a broken PS+ title.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
A little hard to believe after they shat the bed in the first half of the gen.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Rewritten? No that's using the standards others are using and reflecting it on PS4. 1st party only standard, studio owned by Sony. This is the result, not very impressive ain't it. Quite poor actually with the launch as well if we consider Knack is a meme game and Shadowfall is the worst one in the series, in addition Driveclub was a broken PS+ title.
You are literally omitting actual PlayStation IP's because they were made by 2nd party studios at the time.

If those you're refusing to list were stuff like Stellar Blade, Ronin... I could understand but these are IP's that Sony studios created and also still assisted these outside studios with lol... Guerilla Games literally worked on Until Dawn for example and gave Supermassive access to their Engine when they wanted to switch the game from a PS3 VR on the rails game to full console PS4 game...

Media Molecule assisted Sumo with LBP 3... Naughty Dog oversaw Blue Point with the Nathan Drake Collection

Sony Japan Studio assisted with Bloodborne lol.

Come on you're playing semantics

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Like Concord? They must’ve fallen out of a coconut tree. Ke Ke Ke Ke

Go rebuild The Order studio now that they are cancelled. The engine is there, work on gameplay. Can you imagine this talent focusing on ps5? Giddoutahere.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
You are literally omitting actual PlayStation IP's because they were made by 2nd party studios at the time.

If those you're refusing to list were stuff like Stellar Blade, Ronin... I could understand but these are IP's that Sony studios created and also still assisted these outside studios with lol... Guerilla Games literally worked on Until Dawn for example and gave Supermassive access to their Engine when they wanted to switch the game from a PS3 VR on the rails game to full console PS4 game...

Media Molecule assisted Sumo with LBP 3... Naughty Dog oversaw Blue Point with the Nathan Drake Collection

Sony Japan Studio assisted with Bloodborne lol.

Come on you're playing semantics
I don't get your angle maybe we have a misunderstanding again. Like in my last sentence in the comment prior last one.
I am satisfied with deals and partnerships Sony provides to gap releases cause it's about content available and I have no issue with the semantics.

I am addressing the standard some people set for 1st party only and what this result in when you apply that to PS4. And I have noticed prior, to people that have these standards for PS5 they don't like it when I uphold their said standard on PS4 cause it doesn't give a good look to the 4's output.

You brought up an excellent example with Until Dawn. In this topic Death Stranding (2) doesn't count rightfully according to some. Why should I deviate from the standard set by others and count Until Dawn as first party, what's the difference? Both got help from GG, use Decima, both Sony owned IP.
A standard is a standard. If you set it, uphold it in my opinion.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Not first party.
Doesn’t matter they’re still PS Studio games. Sony funded and helped with Development through XDev. In the 90’s Pixar was not a Disney studio. But Toy Story was still a Disney movie because they funded it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Doesn’t matter they’re still PS Studio games. Sony funded and helped with Development through XDev. In the 90’s Pixar was not a Disney studio. But Toy Story was still a Disney movie because they funded it.
Toy Story is not considered part of the Disney animated canon by Disney fans, try again.

• haha
Reactions: Nym

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

They are not. It's not a situation like Ratchet and Clank pre-Insomniac acquisition or Bloodborne, Sackboy Adventures, Death Stranding and Helldivers, which are 1st party IPs developed by 3rd party devs, something which is commonly called "2nd party".

Stellar Blade and RotR are 3rd party games.

Btw, XDEV/Sony help other devs (for example as we have just found out it happened with Wu Kong), too, doesn't mean all of those games are 1st party, aren't they?

Is Baldurs Gate 3 a Xbox 1st party title because Microsoft had to sent people to make it run on Potato S?