PlayStation Studios Aiming to ‘Continuously Release Hit Titles,’ Says Sony

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I will spell it out for you the next time.

I will try to explain it to you in a simple way:

Sony owns IP:
a) Developed internally => 1st party
b) Developed externally => still 1st party, commonly known as 2nd party

Sony doesn't own the IP:
3rd party

Btw, I would also check your counting skills after sentences like this one:

Speaking of Team Ninja: do you consider Ninja Gaiden to be Xbox first party titles?
If you follow this logic, why are you arguing? It's the logic of OTHERS on the PS5 to the 4 regarding output. You are contradicting yourself so many times having double standards simply cause it doesn't work out saying the PS5 is worse than the 4. If you yourself set a standard, lay in the bed you made.

Oke let's count
Nioh 1, one. Nioh 2, two. Rise of the Ronin, three. Your turn.
Yet you consider Insomniac 1st party on PS4 prior acquisition when they were making Fuse, Sunset Overdrive etc??
Bad example btw, Ninja Gaiden existed long before in the arcade days, would make more sense if you mentioned Square and FF deals ;).

@Yurinka I'm just trolling with that reply cause folks are so dense to admit when applying their own standards to PS4, makes it barren. 1st party titles strictly made by Sony owned studios are the only ones that count as output for PS5 but when I do that for PS4 it's different? GTFO. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in my previous comments.

Here ya go, excellent podcast btw with various other topics like PC ports & live-service strategy, well done by WUPS but check 17:36 to hear from former boss Layden himself about the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
If you follow this logic, why you bring up a whole list of PS4 games made by NOT Sony owned studios as 1st party. It's YOUR logic on the PS5 to the 4 regarding output. You are contradicting yourself so many times having double standards simply cause it doesn't work out saying the PS5 is worse than the 4. If you yourself set a standard, lay in the bed you made.

So even with my very simple explanation of what is considered a 1st party title, what I've been talking about since my very first post in this thread, and what not, you still fail to understand it.

I would be contradicting myself if I'd count, for example, Matterfall on PS4 but not Returnal on PS5. Yet I counted them both, because I - differently from you - know that they are both 1st party titles, as they are Sony IPs.

Oke let's count
Nioh 1, one. Nioh 2, two. Rise of the Ronin, three. Your turn.

2017: Nioh (PS4, Windows, PS5)
2017: Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation (Windows, Mac OS)
2017: Dissidia Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia (Android, iOS)
2017: Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch, 3DS) – Ko-Entwicklung mit Omega Force
2019: Dead or Alive 6 (PS4, XOne, Windows)
2019: Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet (PS4, Switch)
2019: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Switch)
2020: Nioh 2 (PS4, Windows, PS5)
2022: Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (PS4, Xbox One, Windows, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)
2022: Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Houses (Switch)
2023: Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (PS4, PS5, Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S)
2024: Rise of the Ronin (PS5)

I count a lot more of other games in-between the "row" of exclusives.

Yet you consider Insomniac 1st party on PS4 prior acquisition when they were making Fuse, Sunset Overdrive etc??

I'm starting to think you have some reading comprehension issues. Where, in any of my posts, I counted Insomniac as first party before their acquisition? If it was the case, I would have counted the games you listed as 1st party titles, wouldn't I? Big difference counting games vs. counting studios, but it seems you're mixing things.

Bad example btw, Ninja Gaiden existed long before in the arcade

And? They were made by Team Ninja and were exclusive to Xbox (until it released on other platforms). I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look, but maybe Xbox even had some kind of publishing deal, in a similar way Sony has with Ni-Oh and RotR WITH Koei Tecmo, as they are the IP owners.

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in my previous comments.

Nah, you are just demonstrating the lack of understanding.

would make more sense if you mentioned Square and FF deals

I did.

Or do you count FFXVI and FF7Rebirth as 1st party?

Reactions: JAHGamer

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Because games are taking longer to make. Not to mention Covid slowed things down. Even Xbox is having issues with dev times. Idk how many times people have to explain this to you impatient nerds. Lol Also. Did you just call the PS4 lineup “pathetic”? LMAO
1. "Because games are taking longer to make. Not to mention Covid slowed things down."
The first one is not really all that true when comparing to last gen only. It takes so much time due to terrible managment, and the fact that the majority of games nowadays are bloated with dozens of useless content (FF7 Rebirth, Ragnarok). Look at Insomniac Games, who can generally keep up the release pace, and their games are not bloated (around the same size and length as 7th gen games, which is perfect).
Also, Sony has like 3x times the studios now, this shouldnt be even a problem.
2. "Even Xbox is having issues with dev times."
"even"? Cmon, we all know that Xbox is a managment disaster.
3. "Idk how many times people have to explain this to you impatient nerds"
I didnt even put out my stance on this topic. I just disbanded the terribly made argument. Sony is doing fine this generation. The perception has been ruined becouse of cross gen and PC ports. If all of the SIE published games released since the launch of the PS5, were full PS5 exclusives, then people would be saying that this is one of the best games lineups ever, and they wouldnt really be all that wrong.
4. "Did you just call the PS4 lineup “pathetic”? LMAO"
Yes. PS4 was one of the worst generations If you look at the PlayStation Studios lineup. We got only one game from the majority of their biggest studios.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I'm starting to think you have some reading comprehension issues. Where, in any of my posts, I counted Insomniac as first party before their acquisition? If it was the case, I would have counted the games you listed as 1st party titles, wouldn't I? Big difference counting games vs. counting studios, but it seems you're mixing things.
Literally in the post at 11:15, you referred to your old list from another thread at page 3. I addressed every game you mentioned on that list on YOUR standard (which you switched several times).

I count a lot more of other games in-between the "row" of exclusives.
Sony signs back to back deals for 3 games in a 7 year span it's not counted in the comparison with Insomniac, got it. You are so oblivious.

Nah, you are just demonstrating the lack of understanding.
So Layden explaining how it actually works against your explanation is my lack of understanding got it.

Specifically retorted on your comment on Ninja Gaiden deal as a better comparison. Not your comment about being counted 1st party. Context is key.
I'm starting to think you have some reading comprehension issues.
Ironic.
Let's leave it at me having reading comprehension issues indeed ;).

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
me having reading comprehension issues indeed

Only correct thing you said in your post, congratulations!

I addressed every game you mentioned on that list on YOUR standard

Well, you keep failing to understand the difference between 1st party games and 3rd party games. It's not about my standards, it's about being correct and using the correct definitions.

Specifically retorted on your comment on Ninja Gaiden deal as a better comparison. Not your comment about being counted 1st party. Context is key.

Exactly, context is key: there is no difference between the Team Ninja games and the FF games I mentioned. All of them are 3rd party games.

Sony signs back to back deals for 3 games in a 7 year span it's not counted in the comparison with Insomniac, got it.

You said: 3 exclusive games in a row. So all the games in-between don't count? Yet I'm the oblivious one....

And to this regard: Due to your lacking of knowledge and understanding you are still mixing things up. The Insomniac games I listed are 1st party games, as Sony owns the IPs. Nobody outside of Sony has anything to say about those titles and franchises. The Team Ninja games are not, as Koei Tecmo owns the IPs and could - as soon as any contractual obligations are over - release the games where they want. If paid enough, the next Ni-Oh could be an exclusive Nintendo game. Really not hard to understand, yet you keep failing at it.

If you don't believe me, maybe you can have a look at what Insomniac had to say when they weren't part of SIE:

Or who owns the trademark to some of the games discussed:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Who gives a shit what Disney fans think. LMAO it’s still a Disney IP. It’s at Disney world now, so Disney must think so.
They do not, they keep Pixar films in a seperate list, do not put stuff like Toy Stor and Finding Nemo on Disney animation timelines and do not brand whatever non-WDA princesses they own as "Disney Princesses".

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Or who owns the trademark to some of the games discussed:
Just demonstrates how dumb you guys are. You link the output of console on trademarks than the actual games. Thanks for proving my point.

If you don't believe me, maybe you can have a look at what Insomniac had to say when they weren't part of SIE:

Exactly go look.

Well, you keep failing to understand the difference between 1st party games and 3rd party games. It's not about my standards, it's about being correct and using the correct definitions.
Stay consistent, smell ya later.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Just demonstrates how dumb you guys are. You link the output of console on trademarks than the actual games. Thanks for proving my point.

So you continue to not understand the difference of 1st party ownership or not. Pretty brave of you to call others dumb 😂

Exactly go look.

So posting a tweet which further proves my point is some kind of a gotcha? I've been saying the whole time that R&C is first party, while being developed by a 3rd/2nd party 🤷🏻‍♂️

Stay consistent

Like I've been from the beginning. I have to admit, you have been too with your lack of comprehension.

• haha
Reactions: CrackmanNL

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
So posting a tweet which further proves my point is some kind of a gotcha? I've been saying the whole time that R&C is first party, while being developed by a 3rd/2nd party
Rewritten? No that's using the standards others are using and reflecting it on PS4. 1st party only standard, studio owned by Sony. This is the result, not very impressive ain't it.
Hilarious.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Yeah, pretty funny that it took this long for you to understand it. I hope you learned something today!
It's hilarious that it went all over your head and you're the one speaking about reading comprehension, I guess it is what it is.
I guess you can't enjoy the PS5 output wo SIE trademark. That went a step beyond (or side-step rather) earlier in the topic then 1st party title made by Sony owned studios. I did learn something new that some of you are trademark gamers lmao and not for 1st party studios.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
It's hilarious that it went all over your head and you're the one speaking about reading comprehension, I guess it is what it is.
I guess you can't enjoy the PS5 output wo SIE trademark. That went a step beyond (or side-step rather) earlier in the topic then 1st party title made by Sony owned studios. I did learn something new that some of you are trademark gamers lmao and not for 1st party studios.

YOU were the one claiming people don't care if it's not a 1st party studio while everybody else was talking about 1st party games, I tried to explain to you the difference.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Terrible article, they say Sony has not released any blockbusters this year. Wtf is Helldivers 2 then? The game sold over 12 million in just a few months. That's a blockbuster. All video games publications are trash. Push Square wrote that Space Marine 2 plays better then Helldivers 2, how would they know that when they only played the PC build, all the press got to only play the PC build. I just cant with these websites anymore lol. None of them are worth reading.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Not first party.

Yeah, I know. It's a debate that goes back and forth. Personally, any game that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo publishes, funds, markets and distributes to me is a first party game. I don't care if they own the development studio or not because if it wasn't the hardware manufacturer funding the game, it most likely wouldn't exist.

That's just how I will always look at it but since others may look at it differently, I simply say "published" and leave it at that. lol

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Yeah, I know. It's a debate that goes back and forth. Personally, any game that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo publishes, funds, markets and distributes to me is a first party game. I don't care if they own the development studio or not because if it wasn't the hardware manufacturer funding the game, it most likely wouldn't exist.

That's just how I will always look at it but since others may look at it differently, I simply say "published" and leave it at that. lol

But by this (incorrect) definition, Street Fighter 4 was a 1st party title.... Or Mass Effect... until it wasn't anymore. Or more recently Kena.

Reactions: Zzero

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
But by this (incorrect) definition, Street Fighter 4 was a 1st party title.... Or Mass Effect... until it wasn't anymore. Or more recently Kena.

No because none of those games were published or distributed by Sony. They were all published by their respective IP holder which is one aspect I forget to mention, while it's becomes less and less for Sony to do, they normally own the IP for games they fund and publish which in these cases is another reason why I view them as first party games. Because outside of not owning the development studio, there's literally no difference and im talking the games themselves, not the studios because that's what I go by.

To each their own though.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I see now why they were ramping up PC ports so much, because they had nothing coming from 1st party studios.
And now it's looking like 2025 will also be another year with just one single player 1st party game (Death Stranding 2 isn't 1st party).

YOU were the one claiming people don't care if it's not a 1st party studio while everybody else was talking about 1st party games, I tried to explain to you the difference.
My first comment wasn't addressed specifically on purpose, cause it's general. You simply got triggered over me using this argument/semantic on PS4. Tried to let it go 3 times as well to not derail the topic, that's all there is to it. Like I said earlier only SIE trademarks validating PS5 output, first time for me hearing that. Got nothing else to add.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
they normally own the IP for games they fund and publish which in these cases is another reason why I view them as first party games. Because outside of not owning the development studio, there's literally no difference and im talking the games themselves, not the studios because that's what I go by.

But that's the correct way of seeing it. That's why Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin are 3rd party, Sony doesn't own the IPs. But Ratchet and Clank and Returnal were even before Sony bought the studios.

Like I said earlier only SIE trademarks validating PS5 output, first time for me hearing that.

Nah, it's IP ownership and therefore games being or not 1st party, the reason why I was consistent all along, while you tried to prove me wrong (which you failed at).

You simply got triggered over me using this argument/semantic on PS4

Not triggered at all, on the contrary, I'm happy if I'm able to spread knowledge to those who lack it. You're welcome!

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
But that's the correct way of seeing it. That's why Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin are 3rd party, Sony doesn't own the IPs.

Knew about Stellar Blade but surprised they don't own the Ronin IP. Does Sony own the Nioh IP or is that owned by Koei Tecmo?