PlayStation Studios Aiming to ‘Continuously Release Hit Titles,’ Says Sony

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
You sure are dense

I take it as a compliment, coming from a diamond 😚.
You are contradicting yourself so many times having double standards simply cause it doesn't work out saying the PS5 is worse than the 4. If you yourself set a standard, lay in the bed you made.

Should have quoted the rest of your post, too, you know, the reason I continued to try teach you something. But you seem resilient to that.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Koei Tecmo

Okay. Next question, who owns the publishing rights? Because if it happens to be Sony, then that's just as good as owning the IP because the actual IP owner can't do anything with the IP unless given written consent by the holder of the publishing rights.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
But you are still confused: Stellar Blade is not a "2nd" party game

@Yurinka I'm just trolling with that reply cause folks are so dense to admit when applying their own standards to PS4, makes it barren. 1st party titles strictly made by Sony owned studios are the only ones that count as output for PS5 but when I do that for PS4 it's different? GTFO. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in my previous comments.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Okay. Next question, who owns the publishing rights? Because if it happens to be Sony, then that's just as good as owning the IP because the actual IP owner can't do anything with the IP unless given written consent by the holder of the publishing rights.

Right now maybe Sony, doesn't mean it's forever though. That's why I mentioned Mass Effect previously, which was published by Microsoft initially.

Sometimes publishing rights also differ depending on region and/or platform.

A good example would be Death Stranding, which is a PlayStation 1st party game, but was published by 505 on PC.

Call of Duty was often published by Sony in Japan.

Or another example from the past would've been Gears of War, which was a 3rd party game published by Microsoft, but Epic wanted to go multiplatform so MS had to buy the IP from them, making it 1st party.

• Informative
Reactions: peter42O

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
So any official sources to back that up or do we rely on an unknown (at least to me) Korean site?

Would be great news if it was true!

Nothing officially disclosed from Sony or Shift Up.

Only that it's sold directly on PS Direct without a PS studios logo unlike the other one close to release wo trademark Ronin.
and no PC version at launch

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Regarding this, there is every extense oficial public legal document from Shift-Up in Korean, I don't remember if to report to their government or to their investors where they did talk about multiple topics, like being considering a PC port and sequel, plus that they were starting to work on a different game about witches.

In that document they talk about their relationship with Sony for Stellar Blade and say it's a 2nd party game. I posted translations in the related iconera thread. There's also some quote from Hermen talking about 1st and 2nd party plus the closer than usual relationship of PS Studios with some studios they don't own like Kojipro.

Edit: this was the document, I don't remember in which page do they mention 2nd party and I'm lazy to search it https://dart.fss.or.kr/dsaf001/main.do?rcpNo=20240520000263

Last edited:
Reactions: CrackmanNL

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Isn't this the aim of every publisher to continously release hit titles?

I'm filing this under "No Shit Sherlock"

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Thats not true, they could publish the sequel through anyone. And since its one of their most successful games of all time its almost certainly going to get one.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Thats not true, they could publish the sequel through anyone. And since its one of their most successful games of all time its almost certainly going to get one.

That's what people don't seem to understand when speaking about 1st party and how IP ownership is the deciding factor.

SIE can ask any studio, including external ones, to make a sequel or spinoff to one of their games. It would still be a 1st party game.

Demon's Soul is the perfect example for this, as it was initially developed by a third party, but it's a SIE IP, therefore PlayStation was able to release a remake made by another studio, without asking From Software.