Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Jv3EVmG.jpg

I completely agree with him. It continues to amaze me just how much Sony dropped the ball

Reactions: Dabaus

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think it's too early to accuse SSM of mismanagement. Naughty Dog though...

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I disagree, SM released Ragnarok in 2022 and Barlog's (probably) sci-fi RPG probably is a more complex title. I've seen Pearce diving into Starfield like she was studying it on stream. Barlog teased he was working on it in 2021 but at what state it was at the time no one knows. SM dropped only 1 game last gen.

Naughty Dog released LoU2 in 2020, which has been 3,5 year ago. Yes they dropped a remake and remaster + collection and probably going to end the gen on LoU3. It's all up in air if all ND delivers is LoU3 this gen but as said they are working on a new IP and their last new title came out in 2020. Only mismanaged studio/title imo since Factions was a waste of time, if you need Bungie to show up and say they need content beyond years as a live-service title.. Sony banked on it to come out this year and imo a gritty modern J&D instead would'v fared better under fans and dev timeline to hold over.

Regarding Bend, the staff did not want to work on Days Gone 2 and revolted resulting in management leaving. They also did not want to work with ND (probably Factions) in fear of turning into a support studio. Let's be honest, Bend delivered 1 game 6 year after PS4 launched and it underdelivered compared to the other studios. Yes they fixed it and yes it sold decently after price cuts/patches and a PC port & PS5 update. But most importantly the staff is working on something they want.

GG delivered HZ:FW and Bluepoint dropped Demon's Souls at launch. It's strange to me people acting like these calibre of studios are abundant. Hell this gen we got GT7 in full good shape relatively early in the gen, since the HD era PD has been struggling. I was genuinely surprised.

Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jv3EVmG.jpg

I completely agree with him. It continues to amaze me just how much Sony dropped the ball
Bluepoint isn't making a new IP, they are working as support team as they did in GoWR.

AAA games take longer every generation for all companies (not only Sony) because games got longer, with more features, with more content and with way more detail and visual quality. Which means more work to be done, so more time and people is needed to be made, as of now around 5-9 years of development with thousands of people working on it (not the whole time, I mean listed in the credits). It has nothing to do with "bad management".

On top of that, ND was the one who decided to branch out Factions to make it a standalone game, they weren't forced.

Bend never Days Gone 2 to SIE/PS Studios because the internal boss at Bend didn't want. Both DG1 directors said SIE/PS Studios was always very supportive with them, even after launch when getting the reviews. SIE/PS Studios ported their game to PC, started to make a movie adaptation, included it in the "best of PS4" which was the PS Plus collection and greenlighted the first post DG1 pitch Bend sent them.

Since DG1 until Bend moved to the new IP they did work in TLOU Online, work that may be partially rehashed in TLOU3, and in the Uncharted spinoff that may continue under development somewhere else (as could be ND, maybe it's the SP project they started to work in after shipping TLOU 2, or maybe it's the project where Bluepoint is doing support work after GoWR).

GG isn't remaking Horizon 1, they are working in Horizon 3 and Horizon Online.

Reactions: Puff