Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That is indeed a huge positive. I just don't like the potential precedent. Physical is hemorrhaging market share as its.
Yes, the thing is that market has been shifting to digital for years so at some point (let's say PS6 or PS7) won't make sense to have a disk drive other than for BC. But hey, if they get used to do it maybe they work on the disk drive a bit more and include disk based BC from older consoles and use that external disk drive as a BC add-on maybe even including original hardware from the older consoles. That would be great even if I think would be very unlikely.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Sorta. GoWR won the other one thats voted on by the public (EE GOTY). Less pretigious.

The real big one (Best Game) awarded by the BAFTA academy went to vampire survivors.

Best Game is the one Returnal won last year.
Ahh ok.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony still only has two studios in Japan, it seems pretty absurd that they won't leverage the fact that they are a Japanese to strengthen their first party.

Looking at that acquiring at least one Japanese publisher makes a lot of sense and if not that they should buy some independent studios and open new ones.

FromSoftware is also the most obvious target since they already own 15%.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
While Sony should it doesn't mean they could

I can think of maybe a few acquisitions ever in Japan. Its pretty rare overall

Square and Enix though more a merger of equals
Bandai Namco similar to above
Sammy did acquire Sega
Sega also acquired Atlus
Square Enix did most of their acquisitions in the west

Its a pretty sparse list, I think it's generally a different environment for m&a

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony still only has two studios in Japan, it seems pretty absurd that they won't leverage the fact that they are a Japanese to strengthen their first party.

Looking at that acquiring at least one Japanese publisher makes a lot of sense and if not that they should buy some independent studios and open new ones.

FromSoftware is also the most obvious target since they already own 15%.
Acquisitions have been Sony's issue for a while now. Getting all these nobody studios and growing them is fine and all, but I don't play studios, I play IPs. And they're REALLY reluctant to start securing those.

Sega's a great choice for them now. It's a Japanese publisher through and through with access to some great IPs.

They need to stop screwing around and start securing IPs.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Since today is Aprils fool and nobody will believe me I can leak stuff.
Sony is in talks to adquire a major Japanese publisher.

Sony bend is working on 2 games, one is a sequel, another is a reimagining of an old IP

Guerilla studios is working on another shooter who entered into full production.

More VR games are coming

Media molecule has 1 smaller title in the works - it is a very original and creative.

Get your hype ready for Santa Monica new IP because it is shaping to be a hit.

Sony is betting on multiplayer games so expect that.

Oh and we will finally hear news about a game with a sexy snake lady that everyone forgot about it.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

Sony bend is working on 2 games, one is a sequel, another is a reimagining of an old IP

Guerilla studios is working on another shooter who entered into full production.

More VR games are coming

Media molecule has 1 smaller title in the works - it is a very original and creative.

Oh and we will finally hear news about a game with a sexy snake lady that everyone forgot about it.
Last one is WiLD?

Reactions: Deleted member 417

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022

More VR games are coming

"We are currently working on a new IP" - Bend Studio

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I think Bends next game will be where they really launch themselves

Just need to make sure they polish it before release this time

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
While Sony should it doesn't mean they could

I can think of maybe a few acquisitions ever in Japan. Its pretty rare overall

Square and Enix though more a merger of equals
Bandai Namco similar to above
Sammy did acquire Sega
Sega also acquired Atlus
Square Enix did most of their acquisitions in the west

Its a pretty sparse list, I think it's generally a different environment for m&a

Up till now... certainly.

But I think Japan, Sony and everyone else involved has to realize something... if they do not support Sony in consolidating, all of Japan will be relegated to being a second level or third level participant in the gaming industry.

They have already in some respect made themselves such a different market to everywhere else, that it's like they are oblivious to global trends.

Microsoft has a huge headstart now, with 2 major publishers, several high profile multiplatform studios and Minecraft all snapped upin the last 10 or so years.

If Sony doesn't start acting, they will fall behind in output (numbers, not quality), revenue, possibly subscribers if these IP's get any traction under gamepass and some other metrics.

I don't think anyone can count on Nintendo, after the success of Wii, they completely failed with WiiU and N64 and Gamecube were also low in sales.... so Nintendo could just put out the wrong gimmick at the wrong time and completely flop. Sony is the consistent one and the one they really need to back....

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Up till now... certainly.

But I think Japan, Sony and everyone else involved has to realize something... if they do not support Sony in consolidating, all of Japan will be relegated to being a second level or third level participant in the gaming industry.

They have already in some respect made themselves such a different market to everywhere else, that it's like they are oblivious to global trends.

Microsoft has a huge headstart now, with 2 major publishers, several high profile multiplatform studios and Minecraft all snapped upin the last 10 or so years.

If Sony doesn't start acting, they will fall behind in output (numbers, not quality), revenue, possibly subscribers if these IP's get any traction under gamepass and some other metrics.

I don't think anyone can count on Nintendo, after the success of Wii, they completely failed with WiiU and N64 and Gamecube were also low in sales.... so Nintendo could just put out the wrong gimmick at the wrong time and completely flop. Sony is the consistent one and the one they really need to back....
The other issue with third parties backing Nintendo too heavily is that Nintendo is a far less supportive partner, and game sales on their platforms are just not there for third-parties compared to Nintendo’s first-party output.

Nintendo may have improved since the dark ages of the NES, but they still do not provide technical, marketing or distribution support on the level Sony always has.

Nintendo still views third-party publishers as something to tolerate, rather than embracing them the way Sony has since the PlayStation era began.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The other issue with third parties backing Nintendo too heavily is that Nintendo is a far less supportive partner, and game sales on their platforms are just not there for third-parties compared to Nintendo’s first-party output.

Nintendo may have improved since the dark ages of the NES, but they still do not provide technical, marketing or distribution support on the level Sony always has.

Nintendo still views third-party publishers as something to tolerate, rather than embracing them the way Sony has since the PlayStation era began.

100%, It's a fact that I didn't think of when I was writing but now that you pointed it out, I don't think anyone want's Nintendo getting the industry back to where they would dictate how many games a publisher could release in a given year.

Nintendo also prioritize their 1st party far above others and so do their customers.... it would be another aspect that could hurt the industry a lot.
There needs to be one eye to the domestic market and one eye to the international market IMO. But the ball is in their court...

Do they want America and predatory, shitty, lesser quality gaming to win out...pushing subscriptions and non-ownership OR do they want to get behind PlayStation and push premium, high quality, fair priced games, where you own the game forever and the industries creative integrity remains in place?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
if they do not support Sony in consolidating, all of Japan will be relegated to being a second level or third level participant in the gaming industry.
In the recent years most of the Japanese publishers like Nintendo, Bandai Namco, Sony, Square Enix, Capcom or Koei Tecmo (and almost Konami) are performing better than they ever did before. So it's not that they are underperforming. And that also means that very likely won't want to sell now, because having grown in the recent years means that potentially they can continue growing, so to sell in some years for a bigger amount of money.

And being acquired would benefit them if that would help them grow, like allowing them to bring their IPs to more markets or platforms, to be able to make bigger projects or to work in more projects. It wouldn't benefit them if that acquisition would mean to leave a big portion of their current markets, as it would mean to leave pc and other consoles.

So very likely, if they buy to Sony or someone else would be in a similar fashion than they did with Bungie: to keep them multi as they are now. That would also benefit Sony because these subsidiaries would give them more money than being fully exclusive. Being bought, they could block any exclusive for the other consoles and game subs, including even bundles or marketing deals or minor stuff like demos or exclusive dlcs or preorder bonuses.

That won't happen because Zenimax, Activision Blizzard King and the other few studios bought represent only a small part of the Sony sales. So even if all their games went exclusive Sony wouldn't almost notice it.

In addition to this, Sony is growing in all areas and are working to grow even more in all areas. This means that in some years Sony will be bigger and more powerful than today. As they estimated, I think Sony will increase their market share during this generation instead of decreasing their market share in consoles or game subs. And they'll also slowly grow in PC, mobile and movies/tv shows, which at the same time making their IPs more popular, will help them grow even more in consoles.

Don't worry, everything will be fine. Jimbo and Hermen have it under control.

Last edited:

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
I don't know if anyone posted this.
Does someone why did Sony assets went down?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
*why did they go down

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

If you go quarter by quarter, looking at the balance sheet, you can see that the only thing in assets that seems to diminish at the same rate / proportionately to the overall total is 'longterm investments'.... these are larger investments that cannot be liquidated easily and usually have some strategic value or partnership associated with them, they can also be bonds...including 5-10 year bonds, government bonds etc.

If interest rates go up, the value of bonds typically goes down.

So the value of overall longterm investments going down from over 160 billion to about 126 billion is realistic given the current economic climate.
I don't see any of it being somehow liquidated.

It's unfortunate but Japanese companies use these financial investments a lot historically to avoid the turbulence of keeping reserves in Yen.

Reactions: Ludwig and Yobo

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

Looks like Sony has a nice pipeline where if a developer wants to work on something different there's an option to move to another studio within Sony.

Reactions: Bryank75