PlayStation vs PC?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
hmm, i wonder if there's a really easy way to settle this dispute.

it's hilarious that you called me disingenuous.
You are being totally fucking disingenuous; what next? Phones are Pc's

Can you add a new graphics card to a Steam deck every few years? Can you upgrade its power supply? Can I add a second or third SSD to it? can I change its case,

Stop with your bullshit.

We all know what a PC is; it's called a Steam deck for a reason.

Hey, the PlayStation has an operating system its a Pc
Hey, the PlayStation has an SSD; its a Pc
Hey, the PlayStation has Ram, its a Pc
Hey, the PlayStation has a graphics card chip, it's a Pc.

Here is a fact for you: The PlayStation is also not a PC.

Like I said ridiculous

Have a good day.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Can you add a new graphics card to a Steam deck every few years? Can you upgrade its power supply? Can I add a second or third SSD to it? can I change its case,

Stop with your bullshit.

excuse me, do phones play PC games? (they don't)

there's one steam library with one set of games that work on a laptop, on a god machine desktop, and on the steam deck. steam deck is a PC. everyone knows it. it fucking runs windows.

the ability to upgrade a graphics card does not determine PC-ness. practically no laptop can swap GPUs. are they not PCs. get real man.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
excuse me, do phones play PC games? (they don't)

there's one steam library with one set of games that work on a laptop, on a god machine desktop, and on the steam deck. steam deck is a PC. everyone knows it. it fucking runs windows.

the ability to upgrade a graphics card does not determine PC-ness. practically no laptop can swap GPUs. are they not PCs. get real man.
This was one of the dumbest things I've read a laptop "IS" a PC. They call them personal computers for a reason now you're just making yourself look silly.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Imagine spending all that money on a gaming PC and not having an option to upgrade the graphics card.

This is not a workstation vs a Playstation.

It's Gamestation vs PlayStation.

Goodness me!

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The "PC costs 3000" is about as stupid as "PC gamers do piracy".

Here's a gaming PC for $279:

I've never spent more than 1500 on a custom build, and my first had a GeForce 3 inside.

Yeah, for 279 you can get the pleasure of playing games at 30fps 540p low settings. Fucking fantastic deal. For that price may as well buy a Series S.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Stop with your bullshit.

Hey, the PlayStation has an operating system its a Pc
Hey, the PlayStation has an SSD; its a Pc
Hey, the PlayStation has Ram, its a Pc
Hey, the PlayStation has a graphics card chip, it's a Pc.

Here is a fact for you: The PlayStation is also not a PC.

Like I said ridiculous

Have a good day.
never get the fish mad

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Imagine spending all that money on a gaming PC and not having an option to upgrade the graphics card.

This is not a workstation vs a Playstation.

It's Gamestation vs PlayStation.

Goodness me!
It's a totally valid thing to do, and it's a bizarre last ditch objection to act like a gaming laptop is not PC gaming.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
never get the fish mad
I am not mad, I am surprised, maybe a little bit shocked.

I get people want to bend the rules and move said goalposts a bit to try and make their point, but when you move stadiums to a completely new city, I think it's a bridge too far.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a democracy then, it's settled.
We don't have to take Valve's word for it. If the DPRK had an unlocked bios/bootloader, standard x86 chipset, runs PC oses like Windows and Linux, runs standard unmodified PC games, supports all normal USB peripherals, it would also be a gaming PC.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
As long as there is a competent option for home consoles I’ll always advise on that above PC.

You buy it and it’s ready to go.

Once you’re ready to advance your gaming at the highest settings possible and possibly get into video editing or streaming then I suggest a PC.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
As long as there is a competent option for home consoles I’ll always advise on that above PC.

You buy it and it’s ready to go.

Once you’re ready to advance your gaming at the highest settings possible and possibly get into video editing or streaming then I suggest a PC.

It works so well. Just turn on the thing and
Immediately get back to your previous gaming session.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It works so well. Just turn on the thing and
Immediately get back to your previous gaming session.
The amount of gamebreaking issues is far lower on console too. If you just want to game without worrying about anything or looking up if shit's supported, get a console.

• Shake
Reactions: Entropi

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Best to have both if you can afford it, but if you can only afford (or want) one then PS5 easily.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
We don't have to take Valve's word for it. If the DPRK had an unlocked bios/bootloader, standard x86 chipset, runs PC oses like Windows and Linux, runs standard unmodified PC games, supports all normal USB peripherals, it would also be a gaming PC.
Congratulations on saying so much and yet so little.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Which one is the best plataform for me to invest in?
It depends on your personal preferences. If you prefer to play on the tv of the living room or are interested on the exclusives and console only games from PS5 and previous PS generations, then PS5.

If you prefer to play in your office/desktop and also going to need a powerful PC to work and are more interested on smaller and unknown indies from stuff like gamejams, or more PC-like genres like strategy, or are more interested on MS games than in Sony games then a PC is for you.

Also, if you prefer the best -specially thinking in the next 6 years or so- balance between price and horsepower you should get a PS5. If instead you are ok with spending way more money on hardware to get extra fps or make the games look a bit better then PC is for you.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It depends on your personal preferences. If you prefer to play on the tv of the living room or are interested on the exclusives and console only games from PS5 and previous PS generations, then PS5.

If you prefer to play in your office/desktop and also going to need a powerful PC to work and are more interested on smaller and unknown indies from stuff like gamejams, or more PC-like genres like strategy, or are more interested on MS games than in Sony games then a PC is for you.

Also, if you prefer the best -specially thinking in the next 6 years or so- balance between price and horsepower you should get a PS5. If instead you are ok with spending way more money on hardware to get extra fps or make the games look a bit better then PC is for you.

I get we are on icon era but this response is underselling the benefits of PC gaming while hiding console cons and overstating some of its pros:

You can't play games from previous ps generations on PS5, just games with native PS4 versions (or some PS2 on PS4 releases) and not every single one them has enhancements. You can do that on PC easily.

The old play on your couch on console vs hobbled on your desk on PC reasoning is not a given like it was in the 90s and 00s.

PC has the PC like genres but ALSO 99% of all console games 8th generation and onwards with native ports easily available. As you mentioned, PC has MS games day one but also many Sony games. If you want to play Sony games day one,then PS5 it is.

For the rest of games where a PC port is not available, emulation is improving every day. Which makes the library of games basically endless and that's not counting mods and total conversions, hell even with decompilations you can now have native PC versions of previously console only games like Jak 1 and 2, SM64 and ocarina of time among many others.

Finally not sure what way more money is, I guess it's the old $400 console vs $ 4000 PC equivalent reasoning. That's also pretty vintage, even in an era where GPU price gouging is sadly still a thing.

Now I won't lie saying that you can build 500 USD console killers. You need to spend at least 800/900 USD to get console performance on a brand new PC. At the end of the day, you are spending more for a device that does more, in gaming or outside of it. So, I think it's worth it as long as you keep it on that price range. From there,the extra bells and whistles are going to cost you a pretty penny.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You can't play games from previous ps generations on PS5, just games with native PS4 versions (or some PS2 on PS4 releases) and not every single one them has enhancements. You can do that on PC easily.
This is partially not true, the full (99.9%) PS4 catalog is BC and you have have hundreds of games from the previous generations, including almost all the most popular ones from each system.

Some of them are PS1+PS2+PSP games emulated, in some cases adding trophies. Games that if you bought in PS3, PSP or Vita are now free for PS4/PS5. Then there are a gazillion ports (in some cases crossbuy between different combinations of PSP, Vita, PS3 or PS4), remasters, remakes of PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita games released for PS4 or PS5.

As an example, if you are new to PS and didn't buy them, if get the PS+ Premium subscription they allow you play the 'classics catalog', which includes around 400-500 of PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Vita titles.

In PC is true that you have easier access to previous generation games, but in many cases they are no longer available to be bought, don't work on modern PCs or don't work well due to them because weren't ready for current hardware or OS. But in many cases these issues for many games can be solved with emulators.

PC has the PC like genres but ALSO 99% of all console games 8th generation and onwards with native ports easily available.

Not true, there are a lot of console only games. Not only the ones published by Nintendo and Sony. To play them is one of the reasons of why people buy consoles.

For the rest of games where a PC port is not available, emulation is improving every day. Which makes the library of games basically endless and that's not counting mods and total conversions, hell even with decompilations you can now have native PC versions of previously console only games like Jak 1 and 2, SM64 and ocarina of time among many others.
Yes, PC is platform where you can easily emulate games from many platforms. But not PS4, PS5, Vita and in the case of many PS3 games. And well, you shouldn't pirate games you didn't buy.

Finally not sure what way more money is, I guess it's the old $400 console vs $ 4000 PC equivalent reasoning. That's also pretty vintage, even in an era where GPU price gouging is sadly still a thing.

Now I won't lie saying that you can build 500 USD console killers. You need to spend at least 800/900 USD to get console performance on a brand new PC. At the end of the day, you are spending more for a device that does more, in gaming or outside of it. So, I think it's worth it as long as you keep it on that price range. From there,the extra bells and whistles are going to cost you a pretty penny.
Yes, nowadays a good gaming GPU to run games faster and looking better than in PS5 is more expensive than a PS5. And then you have to add there the costs of the rest of the PC. So you have to spend like almost twice the price of a console to get noticiably better results, that many casual games won't care about because 60Hz/fps on their tvs is enough for them and some extra stuff like better internal resolution won't be noticed unless you're watching a Digital Foundry comparision.

Only maybe a game or two like Cyberpunk will look noticiably better, but in that case only if using the latests (and so fucking expensive) GPUs like 4090 or at leaast 3090 to achieve path tracing. Or in case of widescreen or multiple screens in games that support it, there's also the related extra hardware cost of such monitors.

As I said, it depends on personal preferences. Hundreds of millions of people don't care about the extra stuff that the very expensive top pc gaming offers and considers that consoles already give them what they want for a reasonable price, as I said have a more reasonable performance/price balance.

I mean, even in PC gaming the people with such high end GPUs or playing in widescreen or multiple monitors are a tiny minority. You can check in the Steam hardware survey the Steam hardware usage of each GPU or resolution. There's like 4% of people who plays at 4K and 16% who plays at 1440p. 60% plays at 1080p.