PlayStation will win this generation in the next 6 months. Here's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
Both PlayStation and Xbox are direct competitors. It is foolish to think that one's success does not and will not affect the other company.

There is a finite number of gamers out there, who spend a finite amount of money every year on the platform they choose to play on. The overwhelming majority of gamers out there will only pick one platform: PlayStation or Xbox. That makes it a zero-sum game for both these companies.

If the large majority pick PlayStation as their chosen platform, they will NOT spend money on Xbox products or platform. They will also buy all their third-party games on the PlayStation platform, further decreasing Xbox's revenue, which will directly affect the number of studios they operate, the quantity of games they make, and the budget those games get.

This is so basic and obvious. I am surprised that I even had to type all this.
At this point I have not seen any indication that Sony's success hurts Xbox. Microsoft has found a way to be successful that isn't tied purely to selling consoles.

Clearly they are doing something right because despite PlayStation fans laughing at MS for putting games on PC, Sony's now following suit. PlayStation fans said Game pass was terrible but it was far more successful than PS Now was. Sony also now likes elite controllers and achievements. It's good to see MS push Sony to provide better products to gamers.

Both companies are 'competing' but have different strategies and they can both be successful doing things their own way. Look at Nintendo to see how true that is.

Until there is an announcement that Xbox will be completely discontinued I'll continue to use their services and take advantage of the superior value. Forum console war stuff is pretty meaningless.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
At this point I have not seen any indication that Sony's success hurts Xbox. Microsoft has found a way to be successful that isn't tied purely to selling consoles.
We have yet to see any evidence of Xbox being successful.
Clearly they are doing something right because despite PlayStation fans laughing at MS for putting games on PC, Sony's now following suit. PlayStation fans said Game pass was terrible but it was far more successful than PS Now was. Sony also now likes elite controllers and achievements. It's good to see MS push Sony to provide better products to gamers.
You are ignoring the nuance here.
  • PlayStation fans say Gamepass is terrible because they think the day one business model for single-player games is flawed. Sony isn't doing that.
  • The same goes for putting games on PC. Xbox has nullified the platform advantage they had by releasing their games on PC on day one. If Sony also does that, then that's stupid. It's fine and (likely) doesn't their platform advantage if those games are ported years after their PS release date and once the sales have dried up.
Both companies are 'competing' but have different strategies and they can both be successful doing things their own way. Look at Nintendo to see how true that is.
Xbox and PS are direct competitors. Nintendo isn't a direct competitor anymore because they make handhelds, not home consoles.

More gamers will have a combination of Xbox/PS + Nintendo than a combination of Xbox + PS.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
P

peter42O

Yeah, @Remember_Spinal raised a good point. Even if we treat Gotham Knights as a purely cross-gen game (though it should be treated for what it is -- a next-gen exclusive game), even then it doesn't hold a candle to Miles Morales or Horizon Forbidden West.

And as you said, it just doesn't even look much better than Arkham Knight (certain parts actually look worse, and I don't understand why!)

This decrease in quality when compared to Arkham Knight just reiterates my point that most devs and publishers have really dropped the ball. They have all the tools they need; the gaming industry is bigger than ever; people are spending the most money they ever had on games. Yet they cannot produce better-quality content.

Honestly, if it weren't for PlayStation Studios, I'd have stopped gaming by now.

I agree with you for the most part. However, WB Games Montreal is nowhere at the level of even Rocksteady and they did have a cancelled game and eventually, the publisher just need them to ship a freaking game no matter what. I am all in for Gotham Knights because while it doesn't impress me visually, I am into super hero games and it's my type of game. Third person open world action RPG.

The decrease in quality games I think has more to do with Covid and everyone working remotely. Think of companies wasting all that money over the course of the last two plus years and longer for regions that may still be under lock down or where companies allow you to now work from home on a regular basis.

Of course, how everyone looks at what a quality game is subjective. A 9.0/10 game for me could be a 5.0/10 game for you and vice versa.

PlayStation Studios is great to excellent but even if I got nothing from them, it wouldn't affect me that much because I have so many other publishers and developers that I like and care about. Would their loss be a hit? Sure but not to where I would even think of quitting gaming.

There are still a few high quality games for 2022. Excluding God of War Ragnarok which is a given, I do see A Plague Tale Requiem and The Callisto Protocol as high quality games. I'm expecting high 80's for these two games with an outside chance of hitting 90's. I know for me personally, im expecting them to be a 9.0/10 minimum. There's plenty of quality games for 2023 and beyond.

Maybe you simply prefer Sony's games at such a level that no other games can match them in your mind.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Until there is an announcement that Xbox will be completely discontinued I'll continue to use their services and take advantage of the superior value. Forum console war stuff is pretty meaningless.
  • PlayStation fans say Gamepass is terrible because they think the day one business model for single-player games is flawed. Sony isn't doing that.
  • The same goes for putting games on PC. Xbox has nullified the platform advantage they had by releasing their games on PC on day one. If Sony also does that, then that's stupid. It's fine and (likely) doesn't their platform advantage if those games are ported years after their PS release date and once the sales have dried up.
They are direct competitors because they make AAA games and have gaming ecosystems that target the same audience. They are fighting for the same market, but with different strategies.

Sony debuted in consoles, game subs and (multiplatform) cloud gaming before than MS. MS saw that success, tried to compete against it making their own versions of that but Sony always outperformed them. Sony focus there, particularly on their own console because selling games and services for it it's their main business. Game subs, cloud gaming, PC and mobile are only a secondary extra for Sony.

At some point MS thought that the console wars was lost so they started to slowly moving their game focus outide Xbox and went to chase the gaming money on all platfoms (they started with Minecraft) but specially on Window, where they started to release all their games day one. In fact they report their gaming numbers to their investors under "Other PC" stuff and their gaming division is no longer called Xbox division, it's MS Gaming instead.

The main MS business is Windows, subscription services and server based stuff so they are moving their AAA focus there, but also publishing on PS because the AAA money is in a big part there. Same goes with mobile, a big part of the gaming money is there so they are betting on mobile too. This doesn't mean they will release Halo on PS, at least not soon, but that they won't make exclusive the multiplatform IPs they bought because the main platform where these IPs make money is PS and to keep them exclusive wouldn't help them in the console wars, it only would make them earn less revenue so to hurt even more their profitability.

Nintendo and Sony consoles are very profitable business and makes sense for their platform owners to bet on exclusivity because thanks to their huge installbase it's worth for them. Xbox ecosystem is too small instead to justify the exclusivity of all this very expensive stuff, it makes more sense for them to keep it multiplatform to maximize their revenue and partly compensate a bit the profitability of putting all these AAA games day one on GP.

If it's a financial suicide for MS, it would be even more for Sony. Because their main business is not Windows, their main business is PlayStation. So to port a few old games to PC per year is ok for them, or to include old games on a game sub. But after these games already had their sales life cycle on PS, which is Sony's main business: having games being sold on their console.

To release all Sony games on PC, and even more if day one, would make pointless to buy a PS console, meaning it would kill Sony's gaming business: to sell games for their console. Same goes with including all their exclusives and other AAA games day one on their game sub: people would stop -or at least highly reduce- buying games for their console.

On top of that, Sony has a very profitable stategy with their game subs approach while the AAA games day one on a game sub isn't. MS still has to prove they can be profitable with this approach specially if not selling the games everywhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
We have yet to see any evidence of Xbox being successful.
Then you haven't been paying attention. Game pass subs vs whatever other platforms are doing is a perfect example. This generation is already showing MS has a much better strategy than last generation and that's good for their customers.
You are ignoring success. PlayStation fans aren't the first place I'd go for objective reasonable responses to anything MS or Xbox does. You continue to have a console focused mindset and MS has already stated they are delivering content to more than just console and that's been working for them quite well.

Never thought we'd be able to easily play console games on mobile devices and even play new generation games on last generation consoles. No one else is doing that. They are carving their own lane and I'm happy to see that. Sony isn't even catering to casual gamers and kids where MS is. Expansion to more customers is good for the industry.
Xbox and PS are direct competitors. Nintendo isn't a direct competitor anymore because they make handhelds, not home consoles.

More gamers will have a combination of Xbox/PS + Nintendo than a combination of Xbox + PS.
Nintendo makes games you can play on a television. Sony and Microsoft make games that you can play on televisions too. They are all making videogames and have all found success doing different things and that's good. Sony's success isn't affecting MS at all and there are many areas where Sony clearly sees the wisdom in some of the things MS is doing. As long as Game pass is getting day one titles and Xbox keeps offering features you can't get anywhere else I'm good.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Never thought we'd be able to easily play console games on mobile devices and even play new generation games on last generation consoles. No one else is doing that
Yes we were able to do that on PS3 and Vita with remote play and streaming. It wasn't even a big selling point 2 gens ago. What MS is doing is nothing special. Nobody has their mind blown besides you. Sony did it all before even on Samsung TVs.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Just a quick question, how do you measure the "win"? Just consoles sales? Doesn't seem like a very good metric when both Playstation and Xbox are pivoting heavily into multiplatform, including PC.
marketshare.

Status
Not open for further replies.