PlayStation won the platform wars, and they absolutely deserve all of it

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think 10 years from now will be the release year of the PS7.

I think at that point, PlayStation will be the leader of both console and PC (that include desktop, laptop and console and portable shaped PCs) markets. And in the overall gaming market, will be a market leader, distancing from Tencent or MS.

I think there will be multiple gaming stores in PC, VR/MR and mobile devices, being PSN one of them. I think you'll be able to play natively there all your PSN games from all PS generations featuring cross-buy, cross-play, cross-save, shared trophies and friendlist across all platforms (in less powerful devices not capable to run the latest games you'll be able to play them via cloud gaming).

I think Sony will have their own PC portable (evolution from PS Player, no longer an accesory), and that PSVR will have evolved to be a standalone VR/MR device, smaller and cheaper than now. I think they'll have Meta and Apple as main rivals here and the market will be more or less split between the 3.

I think PS cloud gaming will be the market leader of cloud gaming. Improvents mostly related to AI in compression, image reconstruction, internet packaging delivery, wired and wireless internet connection quality plus a wider availability of servers will have further improved image quality and latency, making it viable in most cases for most players. It will be available in PS consoles, PC -including handhelds-, mobile, smart tvs, web browsers or VR devices.

Regarding gamesubs, I think PS+ will extend their lead having added extra content like PC and mobile games and addons, plus also non-gaming extras like some Spotify or some Sony service for movies, tv shows and tv channels (more than the 100 movies included now).

Regarding their off-gaming expansion, I think they will have become something like the gaming movie/tv adaptations version of the MCU: many of their movie, tv series, anime adaptations will be super popular, resulting on bumping their sales in gaming. Not only the Sony IP ones, but other ones they have in the works like Zelda or Metal Gear Solid.

I think they'll have greatly expanded off-gaming in more areas, having their PlayStation (or related IPs) branded: eSports, music/audio (OSTs, audiobooks, tribute albums of their games with popular musicians, themed concerts...), theme park attractions, novels, artbooks, comics, animated comics, toys, model kits/figurines, board games, pen and paper RPGs, themed food & drinks, art exhibitions... they may also have -or considering to open soon- dedicated theme parks and physical stores (which will also be bars and arcades).

I think they'll have acquired Arrowhead, BlueTwelve, Shift Up, Kadokawa, Bandai Namco, a handful Square Enix studios and maybe even Capcom and Sega. Plus some Asian mobile focused devs as could be Cygames and Akatsuki and maybe part of Cognosphere (MiHoyo's publishing company for outside China).

Last edited:

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Best thing that could happen to this site and pretty much any game related social media is the death of Xbox. Hopefully their most hardcore fans will be bitter enough to just go away entirely.

The hardcore Xbox community has been incredibility toxic for over a decade, they just can't deal with the fact Xbox sucks.
My guy, look in a mirror, you are incredibly toxic yourself.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
My guy, look in a mirror, you are incredibly toxic yourself.
No, you made your bed Xbox fanboys, I owe you nothing. If anything it took way too long for it to die. :ROFLMAO:

People feeling sad that Xbox is dead brings me joy.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why does Sony need to invest in gaming when they rule the console market with an iron fist as is? PC is a different animal, Nintendo will never get back in the power game and Xbox is weak.

If Nintendo fumbles with the switch 2 we might see a monopoly in console gaming remiscent of the NES days. And it's highly likely. You don't win the Nintendo userbase just with a slightly more powerful iteration of the switch. It might as well have been lighting in a bottle, just like the Wii.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Switch has had more critical and cultural impact than PS5.

Does Nintendo not count in this?

Reactions: Nhomnhom

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
I think they'll have acquired Arrowhead, BlueTwelve, Shift IP, Kadokawa, Bandai Namco, a handful Square Enix studios and maybe even Capcom and Sega. Plus some Asian mobile focused devs as could be Cygames and Akatsuki and maybe part of Cognosphere (MiHoyo's publishing company for outside China).

Do you know how much ShiftUp wants? No, Sony won't buying them. Maybe some other more affordable studios in Korea.

I doubt they ever buy Square Enix and maybe not even Sega. Not sure the talent is there to warrant it and the IP isn't super strong either.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Do you know how much ShiftUp wants? No, Sony won't buying them. Maybe some other more affordable studios in Korea.
I don't know how much they ask for, I didn't try to acquire Shift Up. But I know they did a great job in mobile and new with Stellar Blade did a great job in consoles.

I also think that they have a great projection and potential to grow and improve, and make in the future mobile and console games way more successful, or at least as successful as, than the ones they already published.

So I'm sure that whatever their value is now, will be nothing compared against their value in 5-10 years from now.

I doubt they ever buy Square Enix and maybe not even Sega. Not sure the talent is there to warrant it and the IP isn't super strong either.
I think that even if possible, I think it's complicated due to several reasons:

They are ok and don't need to sell, some of these big Japanese publishers have an important part of their business in areas where Sony isn't interested, other ones are family companies where the main people heading it and in their board of directors are the family of the founder, then there's a Japanese cultural stuff of a company being sold to a bigger competitor not being something popular, plus maybe issues they may face with regulators, etc.

On top of all this, there's the Sony specific thing of right now wanting to bump the SIE profitability in the short term, wanting to complete the payments of previous acquisitions before making new ones, maybe wanting to wait until selling the banks stuff next year before making big acquisitions, maybe wanting to wait until potential acquirers cut the fat they need to do using as excuse the current industry trend, etc.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
I don't know how much they ask for, I didn't try to acquire Shift Up. But I know they did a great job in mobile and new with Stellar Blade did a great job in consoles.

I also think that they have a great projection and potential to grow and improve, and make in the future mobile and console games way more successful, or at least as successful as, than the ones they already published.

So I'm sure that whatever their value is now, will be nothing compared against their value in 5-10 years from now.

2.3 billion dollars... There is 0 chance they're worth that. 10x what Sony paid for Insomniac.

I think that even if possible, I think it's complicated due to several reasons:

They are ok and don't need to sell, some of these big Japanese publishers have an important part of their business in areas where Sony isn't interested, other ones are family companies where the main people heading it and in their board of directors are the family of the founder, then there's a Japanese cultural stuff of a company being sold to a bigger competitor not being something popular, plus maybe issues they may face with regulators, etc.

On top of all this, there's the Sony specific thing of right now wanting to bump the SIE profitability in the short term, wanting to complete the payments of previous acquisitions before making new ones, maybe wanting to wait until selling the banks stuff next year before making big acquisitions, maybe wanting to wait until potential acquirers cut the fat they need to do using as excuse the current industry trend, etc.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions here, but more importantly missing the big picture that Square Enix and Sega simply aren't worth buying at their current price tags.

If Sony has success with a handheld, maybe we would see them invest more in Japanese development, but the reality is that they're getting every game everyone makes right now that matters (outside of Nintendo) and they have 0 risk involved to get it.

Someone spends 200 million dollars on a game and it doesn't sell well? Guess what, it has no impact on Sony. They didn't spend any money on it.

We're going to see Sony walk away from console exclusivity moving forward. They'll let marketing deals expire as well. That's their reward for beating Microsoft and they'll take that money and reinvest in SIE according to where they think they can get the best returns.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
I will actually say, that while I don't think Sega is worth it, if Sony is able to acquire Paramount, it's interest in acquiring Sega will probably increase 10x to secure the Sonic IP and maybe do something more meaningful with the game.

I could see Insomniac doing a lot, but also throwing Sonic into Nickelodeon Brawl helps too. I could see new Sonic animated series on Nick.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

2.3 billion dollars... There is 0 chance they're worth that. 10x what Sony paid for Insomniac.
Their most recent mobile games that generated over $600M until now. Miles ahead of any non-SpiderMan game by Insomniac even today. And pretty likely did it with a smaller budget.

Their first console game, Stellar Blade, pretty likely will become the best selling hack & slash only after the GoW games and DMCV.

So yes, this valuation makes sense and specially makes sense being way bigger than the pre-acquisition Insomniac.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions here, but more importantly missing the big picture that Square Enix and Sega simply aren't worth buying at their current price tags.
Of course they are worth buying.

They are some of the top grossing publishers in console and PC, and have a ton of popular IPs, including some of the hottest ones in console and a huge back catalog full of big classics. Plus have a great growth in revenue and profit. And well, they also have an important business adapting their IPs to mobile, something Sony is interested for the future.

In Sony's hands they'd improve their management, probably would get rid of other businesses that don't interest them, would help them grow, would give them access to Sony IPs, would help them adapt to movies/tv shows/anime/etc. So would be even more successful.

They could add a lot to Sony, plus also would be very important to strategically block any exclusive for Nintendo, MS consoles and game subs or from any other potential direct competitor that may appear in the future.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fda66c5c5-d177-4ce3-9a17-66c7617e67cd_1200x742.png

image.png

image.png

If Sony has success with a handheld, maybe we would see them invest more in Japanese development, but the reality is that they're getting every game everyone makes right now that matters (outside of Nintendo) and they have 0 risk involved to get it.
This is nonsensical, you're acting as if Japanese publishers weren't important in the rest of the world, when only a small part of their business is in Japan.

Someone spends 200 million dollars on a game and it doesn't sell well? Guess what, it has no impact on Sony. They didn't spend any money on it.
Yes, this applies to any AAA game they could potentially buy from these or from any other potential candidate.

But the idea of acquiring one of the most successful publishers, as would be these two, or other top ones like Capcom or Bandai Namco, is that since they are more successful than the rest there are more chances that their games will be successfl.

We're going to see Sony walk away from console exclusivity moving forward. They'll let marketing deals expire as well. That's their reward for beating Microsoft and they'll take that money and reinvest in SIE according to where they think they can get the best returns.
Maybe, or maybe not.

First we'll have to see if as it seems Xbox consoles continue decreasing in sales and eventually die (seems to be the case), if MS go way beyond than a few ports and really go full multiplaform (seems to be the case), and if MS migrates their Xbox console business to becoming making a Windows more friendly for 3rd party built home and portable console shaped PCs (seems to be the case). And we'll have also to see if MS is able to open their own mobile store on iOS and Android (seems to be the case).

If all these things happen and MS ends getting a multiplatform ecosystem and game sub plus being a multiplatform publisher, will be more a more powerful competitor than is now.

Meaning, Sony will continue to have to sign 3rd party deals for their own multiplatform ecosystem and game sub. In addition to continue competing against Nintendo in consoles.

I will actually say, that while I don't think Sega is worth it, if Sony is able to acquire Paramount, it's interest in acquiring Sega will probably increase 10x to secure the Sonic IP and maybe do something more meaningful with the game.

I could see Insomniac doing a lot, but also throwing Sonic into Nickelodeon Brawl helps too. I could see new Sonic animated series on Nick.
Yes, a Sonic game by Insomniac's Ratchet team with these great visuals and art style would be trully insane. Sonic games already sell super well even considering its flaws, but with them would be stunning.

Even more with Sony getting the Sonic movies, Sonic cartoon by Nick, Sonic anime by someone from Sony's anime teams/Crunchyroll etc.

And well, there's many similar synergies they could find. I mean, Yakuza has also a great potential for movie adaptations that Sony could make and Paramount has the Godfather, so could make some funny small crossover cameo somewhere.

Last edited:

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Correct.

Nintendo, Steam, Apple & Meta stand taller & have close wall gardens & imo holds better position in gaming then PS does now.

Xbox imploded itself & PS is following there strategy then leaders like Nintendo, Apple & Steam

Xbox killed itself & retrospectively PS won by default but PS didn’t win the war.

Only on PS funny enough Apple, Nintendo, Meta, Netflix still use “only on” to ensure there content won’t go anywhere else & I don’t see that changing anytime soon if ever.

PS is playing the short game like Xbox while Nintendo, Steam, Meta, Netflix & Apple are playing the extreme long game making there platform & storefront defacto in gaming
Yep, PS won by default.

And people should think of it as a warning as to what might come. Just Xbox killed itself, PS can too at any point.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Their most recent mobile games that generated over $600M until now. Miles ahead of any non-SpiderMan game by Insomniac even today. And pretty likely did it with a smaller budget.

Their first console game, Stellar Blade, pretty likely will become the best selling hack & slash only after the GoW games and DMCV.

So yes, this valuation makes sense and specially makes sense being way bigger than the pre-acquisition Insomniac.

Of course they are worth buying.

They are some of the top grossing publishers in console and PC, and have a ton of popular IPs, including some of the hottest ones in console and a huge back catalog full of big classics. Plus have a great growth in revenue and profit. And well, they also have an important business adapting their IPs to mobile, something Sony is interested for the future.

In Sony's hands they'd improve their management, probably would get rid of other businesses that don't interest them, would help them grow, would give them access to Sony IPs, would help them adapt to movies/tv shows/anime/etc. So would be even more successful.

They could add a lot to Sony, plus also would be very important to strategically block any exclusive for Nintendo, MS consoles and game subs or from any other potential direct competitor that may appear in the future.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fda66c5c5-d177-4ce3-9a17-66c7617e67cd_1200x742.png

image.png

image.png

This is nonsensical, you're acting as if Japanese publishers weren't important in the rest of the world, when only a small part of their business is in Japan.

Yes, this applies to any AAA game they could potentially buy from these or from any other potential candidate.

But the idea of acquiring one of the most successful publishers, as would be these two, or other top ones like Capcom or Bandai Namco, is that since they are more successful than the rest there are more chances that their games will be successfl.

Maybe, or maybe not.

First we'll have to see if as it seems Xbox consoles continue decreasing in sales and eventually die (seems to be the case), if MS go way beyond than a few ports and really go full multiplaform (seems to be the case), and if MS migrates their Xbox console business to becoming making a Windows more friendly for 3rd party built home and portable console shaped PCs (seems to be the case). And we'll have also to see if MS is able to open their own mobile store on iOS and Android (seems to be the case).

If all these things happen and MS ends getting a multiplatform ecosystem and game sub plus being a multiplatform publisher, will be more a more powerful competitor than is now.

Meaning, Sony will continue to have to sign 3rd party deals for their own multiplatform ecosystem and game sub. In addition to continue competing against Nintendo in consoles.

You don't seem to focus much on ROI.

If I'm Sony there is way more return in buying CDPR than there is Square Enix. So unless I'm specifically trying to make inroads in a specific region like Japan, I don't see the advantage to buying Square Enix.

Sony doesn't have to make big deals with 3rd parties. The lack of competition from Microsoft means 3rd parties have less leverage against Sony. They might want some titles on game subs, but those will mostly be indie titles and very old 3rd party games. They won't do deals like FF7 Rebirth anymore, unless it includes exclusivity to a PC storefront.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony doesn't have to do much. They can scratch their balls and sell at the very least 65M of whatever home console they release. Hell up that to 80M now that xbox looks weaker. They have the reputation built since 1994. 30 years. You can't fast track that with money. Is the equivalent to Steam in the console world. The standard. Doesn't need to cut deals with anyone as games will eventually release there. The userbase is too big to avoid, just like Steam. That's why Gaben does not cut exclusivity deals, that is lost money. All the major third parties found that the hard way.

All they need is to keep building new studios and to re educate their modern fanbase in the idea that you don't need the budget of a small country to release a sucessful game. That way they can release games at a faster pace. And also be ready for the time when the open world ubisoftian and superhero games aren't trendy anymore. Naughty dog should have pivoted to WRPG a long time ago.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Nintendo is still hanging around and PlayStation releases their games on PC now. They didn't win anything, they just beat Xbox, or better yet, Xbox KOd itself by not getting rid of Phil Spencer 10 years ago.

If anything this should serve as a cautionary tale of how bad leadership can ruin an entire business.

PlayStation internal games output has been pretty lacking this gen, they need to do a lot better in the second half.
Playstation crushed Nintendo so bad they retreated purely to their handheld market

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You don't seem to focus much on ROI.

If I'm Sony there is way more return in buying CDPR than there is Square Enix. So unless I'm specifically trying to make inroads in a specific region like Japan, I don't see the advantage to buying Square Enix.
You seem to have absolutely no idea about what ROI is.

Without any doubt the acquisition of CD Projekt would be by far the multi billion dollar acquisition with the worst ROI in gaming history.

CD Projekt is by far the most overvaluated gaming company in the stock market: they don't have a single game IP, they lose a big portion of their key staff every project due to awful working conditions and managament, their console releases are always a disaster.

Plus their revenue is much smaller than other gaming companies with similar market cap ($3B) like Ubisoft or Koei Tecmo.

CD Projekt is a joke compared to Square Enix in every single thing you can compare them.

Sony doesn't have to make big deals with 3rd parties. The lack of competition from Microsoft means 3rd parties have less leverage against Sony. They might want some titles on game subs, but those will mostly be indie titles and very old 3rd party games. They won't do deals like FF7 Rebirth anymore, unless it includes exclusivity to a PC storefront.
We'll see, they just released Granblue Fantasy Relink and FFVII Rebirth and have to release stuff like the Silent Hill games and so on.

Btw, this is not how much they ask for being acquired, the article says it is the estimation of the market valuation that Korean analysts expect that the company was going to reach after going public.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nintendo is still hanging around and PlayStation releases their games on PC now. They didn't win anything, they just beat Xbox, or better yet, Xbox KOd itself by not getting rid of Phil Spencer 10 years ago.

If anything this should serve as a cautionary tale of how bad leadership can ruin an entire business.

PlayStation internal games output has been pretty lacking this gen, they need to do a lot better in the second half.
Yeah, PlayStation did a good job but Xbox death mostly just has to due to with Phil's incompetence.