PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
F2P games like Fortnite, Apex, Warzone and Overwatch 2 should absolutely be behind the paywall. It’s indefensible to me at this point why those games should have a competitive advantage in both entry cost and continued service vs every other game on the market.

I would rather Sony do away with this backward paywall for online gaming completely. They've got the sub for games at the Plus level, and they've got the Cloud sub. That should be good. PC is just a crazily better deal, and has thriving online communities without the velvet rope.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Last day before the rise.
I'm too busy these days but I did buy the PSN Cards to add one more year to my Plus.

image-2023-09-05-115023458.png

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Look at this shit advertising these games as being £109 & saying you can keep them (yes I see the with an active playstation plus membership disclaimer at the bottom) is blatantly false advertising
Not really sure if it is false advertising as the clearly state with *
Terms apply* and also the fact that it has always been that way with PS+ but i do get what you are saying.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not really sure if it is false advertising as the clearly state with *
Terms apply* and also the fact that it has always been that way with PS+ but i do get what you are saying.
I mean it's a pretty loose usage of the word "keep". Renting isn't keeping.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The fact they say they're worth more the £109 they aren't worth nearly that if you were to buy them to actually keep forever let alone renting them for aslong as you ps plus subscription is active 🤣
They are just adding up the MSRP. Isn't that how everybody do it? I see that all the time. Not even talking about gaming.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I don’t think I even have to ‘vote with my wallet’ with this one.

I tend to play Fortnite as my only online game, whether or not that’s a debate itself, lol. I’m much more interested in ownership than the Game Catalog. And I love the idea of classic games on PS, but no way am I paying highest sub now.

I will say that the silver lining is that if you play enough Game Catalog games that are still reasonably high priced enough, you’ll still save money.

The whole thing speaks to how unreliable subscriptions are, and have been since Netflix though. Reel them in with the cheap prices then just absolutely inflate those prices over time.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
That ad uses the word keep to purposefully mislead. You don't keep games in PS Plus, you rent them.

The idea that the consumer is supposed to know, and be informed about it is not a responsibility drop off where the salesman is innocent of any wrongdoing.

They could have worded it like this: "Over $109 worth of games for you to play". There are many more ways to word a similar message.

They used the word keep with the disclaimer * purposefully. Stop giving these marketing fuckers the benefit of the doubt - they don't deserve it, nor earned it, and anyone in the business or that has studied marketing to any degree understands that this is a common, misleading sales tactic. I did always wondered what working for a marketing department in a public global brand would be like.... seeing folks react and bite to carefully crafted psychological manipulation to induce a sale and have defenders online, literally strangers go bat for your schemes free of charge. Probably the ultimate ego boost sensation.

Last edited: