PS5 cloud streaming launches this month for PlayStation Plus Premium members

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

Select PS5 games will be available for streaming, and we’re planning to have hundreds of PS5 titles to support this new benefit. This includes:

● Top PS5 hits from the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog*, such as Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, Mortal Kombat 11, and Saints Row IV

● Game Trials* for PS5 games, such as Hogwarts Legacy, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and The Calisto Protocol

● Additional PS5 digital titles PlayStation Plus Premium members own that will be available for streaming, such as Resident Evil 4, Dead Island 2, Genshin Impact, Fall Guys, and Fortnite
63dcf74a9b0b1fda41f57430cee8f0ab070de366.jpg

PS5 cloud streaming is exclusively available on the PS5 console at launch. Without having to download a game, players can access PS5 game streaming with their PlayStation Plus Premium membership. Additionally, PlayStation Plus Premium members will also see features available with the new PS5 streaming benefit, including:

Downloadable content and in-game purchases will be available for PS5 game streaming, including DLC and add-ons – similar to purchases from downloadable games.

High quality resolution options**, including 4K, 1440p, 1080p, and 720p, with 60 FPS and SDR or HDR output.

Enhanced audio with support for all PS5 audio capabilities including 5.1 and 7.1 as well as Tempest 3D Audiotech.

Capture screenshots and record up to 3 minutes of video, which will be downloaded to your Media Gallery on PS5 and also available in the Media Gallery on PS App
Since this will be a large undertaking for our teams to roll out, we plan to launch regionally through a phased approach. Here are the launch dates we are currently targeting in local times:

● Japan – targeting October 17

● Europe – targeting October 23

● North America – targeting October 30
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/1...s-month-for-playstation-plus-premium-members/

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I hate cloud gaming. It's just an excuse to take away game ownership and turn gaming into a monthly bill.

I'll never ever support it.
Yeah its not for me really. I used it to play Killzone 2 and Sly Cooper, Ico, recently, it was decent but Ill never prefer it to physical/downloads.
But ill use to to stream demo’s and maybe the new portable if I buy that.

I can imagine Sony adding it to there TV’s in the future or Phones. Would be good if you could stream your purchased games from your library/username, while traveling like I do currenly. Im basically in a new hotel every 3 nights around Japan. Lots of Sony Tvs in each hotel lol

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Wait a minute… 4K/60?

Xcloud does 4K/60 too, right?
What kind of bandwidth do you need for 4K/60 smooth

I has 500Mbps, but it always choppy as hell, probably because of high distance from data centers

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wait a minute… 4K/60?

Xcloud does 4K/60 too, right?
If thy do thy were late to the party. Sony has consistently had better streaming res offering they play catch up later.

Nope not yet!

People also ask

Can you play xCloud in 4K?

To keep a consistent performance, Xbox Cloud Gaming streams at a 1080p resolution up to 60fps. That means you won't be able to stream games at a higher 1440p or 4K resolution, but 1080p is more than serviceable on the smaller screens you'll likely be making use of for Xbox Cloud Gaming

• fire
Reactions: Entropi

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
hmm I actually kinda interested about stream your own games thingy.

Maybe if they added this to Portal I would pick one.

Resident Evil 4, Dead Island 2, Genshin Impact, Fall Guys, and Fortnite

So 2 singleplayer games, 3 F2P game.

I think from their wordings maybe they will support every PS5 games?

So they are building blades fetching data directly from their data centers...

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
If thy do thy were late to the party. Sony has consistently had better streaming res offering they play catch up later.

Nope not yet!

People also ask

Can you play xCloud in 4K?

To keep a consistent performance, Xbox Cloud Gaming streams at a 1080p resolution up to 60fps. That means you won't be able to stream games at a higher 1440p or 4K resolution, but 1080p is more than serviceable on the smaller screens you'll likely be making use of for Xbox Cloud Gaming

How in hell does a cloud Software company, one of the largest at that, get beaten in cloud streaming resolution by a small hardware maker?

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
How in hell does a cloud Software company, one of the largest at that, get beaten in cloud streaming resolution by a small hardware maker?
to be fair that hardware maker is not small.

also the thing is, if you use any of that "cloud software company" products, you know they are either mediocre or garbage. There is a good reason why Amazon WS is still dominant compared to Azure, despite the Office Suite bargain. Fucking Google have better products, the companies that offered Stadia...

Reactions: toadsage44

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Because Sony was there first at least on consoles and has been in that game for years making some solid cloud streaming acquisitions in the past (gakai, on live, etc) . Microsoft just does copy cat shit to try to stay relevant.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Pretty underwhelming that it's PS5 only. Streaming AAA to phones is probably the single biggest argument in favor of cloud gaming. I'm also a fan of AAA gaming on ultrabooks, where Playstation is way behind. I wouldn't even consider a cloud streaming service that doesn't have a browser client.

@Bryank75 Geforce Now is a good counter to this. You bring your own licenses to run on their GPUs. Arguably, you don't 'own' your Steam library either, but the cloud isn't making it any worse.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Because Sony was there first at least on consoles and has been in that game for years making some solid cloud streaming acquisitions in the past (gakai, on live, etc) . Microsoft just does copy cat shit to try to stay relevant.

I remember testing Gakai at E3 2009 or 2010. It was like magic back then, lol

Reactions: Gamernyc78