Ps5 digital price going up to $450 from $400. How do u feel about that?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
There’s no change in price for the standard PlayStation 5 model. The redesigned PS5 will launch next month for $499.99. But the PS5 Digital Edition is getting a price increase as part of the refresh; the disc-less version of the PS5 will cost $449.99 at launch. (The original PS5 Digital Edition launched at $399 back in 2020.)

I feel like having a digital and if you want to later on get a disc for $80 brings the price up to $530 more than the redesigned PS5 at $500. Kind of puts the digital in an awkward position.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is new model so it is fine.
New models most of times costs more than old models. in others industries.

Now a rise in price in the old model should be something worth to talk like what happened in 2022.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It is new model so it is fine.
New models most of times costs more than old models.

Now a rise in price in the old model should be something worth to talk like what happened in 2022.
Hmmm dont know about that. Newer ps models generally are created to cut costs and drive more sales. Ps3 slim e.g. Launching at $300 as opposed to $500 plus and PS4 slim Launching at $300 as opposed to $400. Ps Digital should have not gone up $50 but I undersrahd it's a diff strategy for them.

Reactions: toadsage44

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

I wouldnt recommend a digital only console to anyone, to be fair.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think they should've thrown in the vertical stand for that price. That way it's the same price for digital+stand+drive as disc+stand.

Not surprised though, they've always been losing money on the digital version so I bet they're going to try to push a bigger digital hardware split now

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Hmmm dont know about that. Newer ps models generally are created to cut costs and drive more sales. Ps3 slim e.g. Launching at $300 as opposed to $500 plus and PS4 slim Launching at $300 as opposed to $400. Ps Digital should have not gone up $50 but I undersrahd it's a diff strategy for them.
Sony barely produce PS5 DE because they lose a lot in each unit.
That is why they are rising the new model to $450... to increase availability.

Today less than 20% of shipment is DE.

What do you prefer a product that is cheap but the company can't ship to stores or a product that costs $50 more but is heavy avaiable to buy? That is the decision that Sony had to take.

PS5 DE at $400 was not helping them in neither costs or sales to consumer.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sony barely produce PS5 DE because they lose a lot in each unit.
That is why they are rising the new model to $450... to increase availability.

Today less than 20% of shipment is DE.

What do you prefer a product that is cheap but the company can't ship to stores or a product that costs $50 more but is heavy avaiable to buy? That is the decision that Sony had to take.
That's their problem. When revisions happen prices should not go up. Digital versions will sell even less due to that increase. They won't lose as much money per sale but tht has never been their strategy before.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
From a kotaku article.

Usually game consoles get cheaper the longer they are on the market, but reduced supply during the pandemic and a spike in inflation rates last year led Sony to actually raise the prices on its consoles in most of the world in 2022. Now it appears those price hikes are getting sneakily introduced to U.S. customers as well. Sony and competitor Microsoft have both raised the prices of their Netflix-like subscription libraries as well.

They are putting blame on inflation and covid.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's their problem. When revisions happen prices should not go up. Digital versions will sell even less due to that increase. They won't lose as much money per sale but tht has never been their strategy before.
If DE become available at stores it will sell more than what it was selling before...
That is a no brain even with the $50 increase.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
There’s no change in price for the standard PlayStation 5 model. The redesigned PS5 will launch next month for $499.99. But the PS5 Digital Edition is getting a price increase as part of the refresh; the disc-less version of the PS5 will cost $449.99 at launch. (The original PS5 Digital Edition launched at $399 back in 2020.)

I feel like having a digital and if you want to later on get a disc for $80 brings the price up to $530 more than the redesigned PS5 at $500. Kind of puts the digital in an awkward position.
Digital price is going up this is a complete different new digital machine

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
What makes the price hike even worse is that NVME storage has plummeted in the last year. 1TB of PCIe4 cost $220 in 2020, it costs $90 today. They could've put 2TB in there (much needed btw) and stayed ahead of the game.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
What makes the price hike even worse is that NVME storage has plummeted in the last year. 1TB of PCIe4 cost $220 in 2020, it costs $90 today. They could've put 2TB in there (much needed btw) and stayed ahead of the game.
Also no stand etc. The price hike is bs and against the reason for revisions in the past as I mentioned and showed in my above post which isnt the norm like some like to act it is.

Thyll keep blaming shit on inflation though and Covid. So more expensive plus and now more expensive peripherals and digital ps5 :) yay!!!!

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Just wait until they announce the PS5 Pro for $799
Two more years with info next year. But fuck that! Devs dont even have a chance to settle in and be comfortable with current hardware. New consoles and refreshes are a joke now.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Also no stand etc. The price hike is bs and against the reason for revisions in the past as I mentioned and showed in my above post which isnt the norm like some like to act it is.

Thyll keep blaming shit on inflation though and Covid. So more expensive plus and now more expensive peripherals and digital ps5 :) yay!!!!
Yeah, no this is a big win for Sony over their customers. The new unit is certainly a lot cheaper to produce. Add in the PS+ price hike and they're really squeezing people.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, no this is a big win for Sony over their customers. The new unit is certainly a lot cheaper to produce. Add in the PS+ price hike and they're really squeezing people.
They will be swimming in alot more money and since they are the leaders in marketshare can afford to do so.