Ps5 digital price going up to $450 from $400. How do u feel about that?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Inflation has always been a thing at least at 3 percent per year in the US yet consoles and electronics always went down in price with time.

And not sure if market dominance plays a role because Sony was never as dominant as in the ps2 era and that console went down in price over the years with the slim selling at 100 USD or less by the end of it's lifecycle.. And during those days, they didn't have PSN related revenue streams like digital sales, DLC and MTX.

Feels like pure greed, either by Sony, MS or Nintendo. They should be seeking into growing the market and this is not the way. The generic "COVID" excuse fits like a glove for all corporations to try and fleece consumers more.

And you are going to tell me, "but what about Moore's law" ok I get it, that's a thing, tech is not evolving as fast as it used to be at least in price/performance. But how about eating those margins and gaining new users? Those 50 USD can easily be recouped by a couple purchases in PSN. Gaming is more popular than ever yet no console is close to get to 200M sold thanks to sheer greed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Inflation has always been a thing at least at 3 percent per year in the US yet consoles and electronics go down in price with time.

And not sure if market dominance plays a role because Sony was never as dominant as in the ps2 era and that console went down in price as time went by. And during those days, they didn't have PSN related revenue streams like digital sales, DLC and MTX.

Feels like pure greed, either by Sony, MS or Nintendo. They should be seeking into growing the market and this is not the way.
This inflation is well above 3% in U.S. so they might have a minor foot to step on But I agree that price hike is more about greed. Many increases in different sectors.

"US Inflation Rate is at 3.67%, compared to 3.18% last month and 8.26% last year. This is higher than the long term average of 3.28%.

That 8.26 was crazy! . BTW inflation rates are compounded so thts on top of the 8 26 from last year! Yikes!

Last edited:

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Wasn't the whole gimmick of the updated digital edition to be able to "upgrade" it to a disc version via an attachable disc drive. If that plays games, it makes sense that they would increase the price. If anything, it gives the people that made or are making the decision to purchase the digital an option to go back to buying physical. Also, it gives consumers the option to still buy a Ps5 digital and turn it into a normal disc version if they can't land a disc version by itself.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
There's probably never been a better time to build a PC in the last 10 years. Intel is desperate to sell you a GPU that murders the PS5 for around $200. AMD has a lot of affordable cards too. There's also a lot of well priced laptops with 3060s inside that'll outperform consoles. No online velvet rope!

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wasn't the whole gimmick of the updated digital edition to be able to "upgrade" it to a disc version via an attachable disc drive. If that plays games, it makes sense that they would increase the price. If anything, it gives the people that made or are making the decision to purchase the digital an option to go back to buying physical. Also, it gives consumers the option to still buy a Ps5 digital and turn it into a normal disc version if they can't land a disc version by itself.
The option is great but makes no sense to buy the digital if you plan on going disc in the future. New with disc $500, digital without disc $450 and wanting disc later another $80=$530.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
It does have more SSD space and it is a smaller unit.

I did think the changes would be for cost savings and price reduction to sell more units though.

Hopefully the increase in price is only temporary.... I would like to see aggressive sales of ps5 at all times.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I did think the changes would be for cost savings and price reduction to sell more units though.

Hopefully the increase in price is only temporary.... I would like to see aggressive sales of ps5 at all times.
Thank you Jim for your professional insight 😂. Tell Kaz and Shu I said hello.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
There's probably never been a better time to build a PC in the last 10 years. Intel is desperate to sell you a GPU that murders the PS5 for around $200. AMD has a lot of affordable cards too. There's also a lot of well priced laptops with 3060s inside that'll outperform consoles. No online velvet rope!

Depending on optimization, a PS5 is between a 3060 and 3060ti.

The entire cost of the build would be significantly higher than a PS5 but if you are multitasking, the value would be there.... if you're a content creator or work online etc.

But personally, if you're going pc, I'd go all in....4090 with a great CPU to back it up.

If you're going mid range pc or even up to a 3070 and you don't have other uses for the rig.... I'd say a PS5 is less fuss, faster to just jump into games and performs very competitively for the price.

But it's all down to preference. Many have both and love both. Some have more than that and love them all too.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

825 > 1000 is peanuts. It's probably easier to get 1TB chips at this point.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Under no circumstances should a new pc builder buy an intel Arc card.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This inflation is well above 3% in U.S. so they might have a minor foot to step on But I agree that price hike is more about greed. Many increases in different sectors.

"US Inflation Rate is at 3.67%, compared to 3.18% last month and 8.26% last year. This is higher than the long term average of 3.28%.

That 8.26 was crazy! . BTW inflation rates are compounded so thts on top of the 8 26 from last year! Yikes!
The 8.26% from last year is 100% bullshit, essential goods like groceries and home goods went up at least 50%, rent went up it feels like 20%, the only thing that stayed relatively stable was the cost of gas.

A cut of beef that cost $3.99/lb before covid is now going for $6.99 or more. Grocery stores that used to sell prime cuts are now selling select or choice for 30-50% markup over previous prices.

In no way is inflation only 3%.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
825 > 1000 is peanuts. It's probably easier to get 1TB chips at this point.

Yes, I agree. It's very little advantage for the price differential.

The cards are really cheap right now too.

I think Sony know parents will just buy nomatter the price around Christmas anyway.

Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The 8.26% from last year is 100% bullshit, essential goods like groceries and home goods went up at least 50%, rent went up it feels like 20%, the only thing that stayed relatively stable was the cost of gas
Funny shit is I agree! The 8% is high but us living here know it was higher. Bro a pack of chicken tenders I would buy at supermarket for like $6 went up to 11/12 over night. Again inflation is compounded so it's the 8% plus the almost 4% this year etc but definitely was way more than 8% with many things.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Good, go straight for the disc - keep the media alive.

The price increase is likely due to the harness cost, drive is cheap.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I already have mine, and I paid more than that due to the “Fuck Canada” pricing that Sony loves, so I don’t really give a fuck.
They about to fuck Japan too, add that to the list.

Btw what is so bad about pricing there?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Let's hope Intel knocks it out of the park with battlemage. Although after so many years with NVIDIA and ATI/AMD it would be quite a jump in the fire to get an Intel GPU. At least that how I see it. But from what I have read, their driver support has improved a lot since release. O would like to know if they finally got their act together with legacy API performance.

I still think we haven't got that 8800GT/ GTX 970 moment: A mainstream GPU that is well above what consoles can do. 2070 super performance should be at 150 USD at most by now.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Let's hope Intel knocks it out of the park with battlemage. Although after so many years with NVIDIA and ATI/AMD it would be quite a jump in the fire to get an Intel GPU. At least that how I see it.

I still think we haven't got that 8800GT/ GTX 970 moment: A mainstream GPU that is well above what consoles can do.
that dream is gone, because IPC's improvements for GPUs are a distanced dreams

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Funny shit is I agree! The 8% is high but us living here know it was higher. Bro a pack of chicken tenders I would buy at supermarket for like $6 went up to 11/12 over night. Again inflation is compounded so it's the 8% plus the almost 4% this year etc but definitely was way more than 8% with many things.
I bought a whole rooster for like approximately 7 USD. I mean it depends on regions but I can conclude that

Countryside rules I guess, no matter which nation you live in.