PS5 Disc Drive sold out on PS Direct

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
The PS5 Disc Drive attachment is now sold out on PS Direct.

Either there is significantly more demand for the PS5 Pro than people realize or scalpers are willing to take a massive risk on a product that will be easily replinished.

The drive is also sold out on Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop.

It appears to still be available via Walmart and Target.

I wonder what the narrative will be when/if the PS5 Pro sells out on pre-order day. I fully expect more disc drives will be available before launch on November 7th and before Christmas, but all the prognostication of how Sony was out of their minds on the pricing of the Pro so far look foolish.

Edit Update: The drive is now sold out at Walmart as well.

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Sans_titre.jpg

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
The PS5 Disc Drive attachment is now sold out on PS Direct.

Either there is significantly more demand for the PS5 Pro than people realize or scalpers are willing to take a massive risk on a product that will be easily replinished.

The drive is also sold out on Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop.

It appears to still be available via Walmart and Target.

I wonder what the narrative will be when/if the PS5 Pro sells out on pre-order day. I fully expect more disc drives will be available before launch on November 7th and before Christmas, but all the prognostication of how Sony was out of their minds on the pricing of the Pro so far look foolish.
Yeah it's sold out in a lot of places... I hope whenever I decide to get one so will it be in stock hopefully!

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Sony should cash in on this; flood the market with these drives, let the scalpers buy them all up, and then just keep adding more.

Make sure there are less ps5 pros that disk drives, leave these fuckers were mountains of them they cant sell.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony should cash in on this; flood the market with these drives, let the scalpers buy them all up, and then just keep adding more.

Make sure there are less ps5 pros that disk drives, leave these fuckers were mountains of them they cant sell.

I find it hard to believe that scalpers could think they could corner the market on these.

Logically doesn't make sense. You don't need one to use a PS5 Pro and Sony can easily make more. Of course, there will be some trying to flip them, but I think this is genuine demand, which also suggests that there is even more demand for the PS5 Pro since many like myself won't be using discs on it.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I find it hard to believe that scalpers could think they could corner the market on these.

Logically doesn't make sense. You don't need one to use a PS5 Pro and Sony can easily make more. Of course, there will be some trying to flip them, but I think this is genuine demand, which also suggests that there is even more demand for the PS5 Pro since many like myself won't be using discs on it.

I really hope there is not a demand from them, rather only from genuine fans but yer if there is easy money to be made, these cockroaches will be there day 1.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
And many of those who will upgrade to pro are digital only which means the demand is very high.
The console will be sold out in pre orders

The question is going to be how many Sony make available for pre-order.

My guess would be 1 million units at least across the world.

Demand will be more interesting when the unit isn't selling out and we see what the ratios look like of pro, disc, and digital.

It's going to be an interesting 4-8 months in gaming and we haven't even touched the Switch 2...

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Well initial demand is definitely there and scalpers are playing a role as well for sure

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The question is going to be how many Sony make available for pre-order.

My guess would be 1 million units at least across the world.

Demand will be more interesting when the unit isn't selling out and we see what the ratios look like of pro, disc, and digital.

It's going to be an interesting 4-8 months in gaming and we haven't even touched the Switch 2...
Switch 2 isn't a guaranteed success. Nintendo's core fans are < 30 millions. Just like Wii U, It really depends on those casuals who randomly jumped to buy the Switch/ Wii.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I don't see the Switch 2 flopping, sorry. All they need to do is simply continue what they are doing and deliver a well priced hybrid that's seen as a proper upgrade over the previous. 🤔

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I don't see the Switch 2 flopping, sorry. All they need to do is simply continue what they are doing and deliver a well priced hybrid that's seen as a proper upgrade over the previous. 🤔
It won't flop. It just won't do anywhere near as well as the first one. Nintendo caters to casuals with hardware. hard to convince them to switch for higher tech numbers. They don't care. They can keep playing their old Mario. Kids aren't getting a $400 console when they already have one.

And now we have a rise of other handhelds, such as PC and even xbox and PS jumping on board.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The Wii U had no reason to fail. It was good hardware, had good price, launched and had first 2 years with great selection of games. The problem is in the target audience. Their engagement behavior is difficult to predict. Nintendo is taking long time to come up with Switch 2 and that's probably because they are uncertain of the success of new hardware.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It won't flop. It just won't do anywhere near as well as the first one. Nintendo caters to casuals with hardware. hard to convince them to switch for higher tech numbers. They don't care. They can keep playing their old Mario. Kids aren't getting a $400 console when they already have one.

And now we have a rise of other handhelds, such as PC and even xbox and PS jumping on board.
Well Nintendo's power is also their IP's..if they can get the get the name right and showcase to Switch owners why the new hardware is necessary with exclusive big software, I think they will have another runaway success generation. May not be as big as the Switch for obvious reasons however.

But the causal base is absolutely software driven.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The Wii U had no reason to fail. It was good hardware, had good price, launched and had first 2 years with great selection of games. The problem is in the target audience. Their engagement behavior is difficult to predict. Nintendo is taking long time to come up with Switch 2 and that's probably because they are uncertain of the success of new hardware.
Well this is absolute disingenuous revisionist history. It had all reasons to fail starting with that godawful name and branding.

Nintendo isn't taking too long wit the Switch 2, the Switch is absolutely still selling which shows there is still demand for the brand and the buying base is still extremely active.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Disagree, I think the marketing doomed it.

But for me it has possibly the best exclusive of all time ( Xenoblade Chronicles X )

Reactions: Danja