PS5 Disc Drive sold out on PS Direct

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Disagree, I think the marketing doomed it.

But for me it has possibly the best exclusive of all time ( Xenoblade Chronicles X )

Amazing game indeed and the Wii U pretty much carried the Switch for a couple years. So it was a blessing in disguise for Nintendo with no-one buying it, as it allowed them to reintroduce the amazing games and to most they were still brand new experiences lol.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Well Nintendo's power is also their IP's..if they can get the get the name right and showcase to Switch owners why the new hardware is necessary with exclusive big software, I think they will have another runaway success generation. May not be as big as the Switch for obvious reasons however.

But the causal base is absolutely software driven.
Their IPs sell to their core fans + other console fans who buy their consoles for Zelda, Mario, and other jrpgs. But those people are mayb 20-30 out of the 120 million.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Their IPs sell to their core fans + other console fans who buy their consoles for Zelda, Mario, and other jrpgs. But those people are mayb 20-30 out of the 120 million.
But you are acting like the Switch did not expand their brand and IP power lol. It just sounds to me like you guys are hoping this thing isn't a huge success by attempting to apply past trends. Nintendo is now coming off their biggest generation with a consolidated base... It's just weird to try to and predict the future based off the past when the variables are so different now.

Unless you think their huge portable Base will suddenly dwindle back to 20-30 million

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
But you are acting like the Switch did not expand their brand and IP power lol. It just sounds to me like you guys are hoping this thing isn't a huge success by attempting to apply past trends. Nintendo is now coming off their biggest generation with a consolidated base... It's just weird to try to and predict the future based off the past when the variables are so different now.

Unless you think their huge portable Base will suddenly dwindle back to 20-30 million
No one told you it will fail. We just told you it's success is not guaranteed and a new Nintendo hardware had been a high risk for them historicaly due to the type of audience inclined to buy their devices. I have 5 kids in the family whose parents bought them switch in 2019. Now, one has Series S ( poor bastard) and other 2 got PS5 slim while the other 2 are on tables. You see how 5 potential Switch 2 buyers just suddenly disappeared.

Also , out of topic, you can see thst only 2 out of 5 has functional brains 😆

• haha
Reactions: Danja
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Switch 2 isn't a guaranteed success. Nintendo's core fans are < 30 millions. Just like Wii U, It really depends on those casuals who randomly jumped to buy the Switch/ Wii.

I think if the Switch 2 is a lot more expensive, has more competition, it's going to struggle significantly. We're also going to see how far Nintendo is willing to go with game budgets.

The strength of the Switch will be the weakness of the Switch 2. It could very easily find itself in no-mans land.

If somehow they don't move forward with AI Upscaling, it'll be a disaster.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
No one told you it will fail. We just told you it's success is not guaranteed and a new Nintendo hardware had been a high risk for them historicaly due to the type of audience inclined to buy their devices. I have 5 kids in the family whose parents bought them switch in 2019. Now, one has Series S ( poor bastard) and other 2 got PS5 slim while the other 2 are on tables. You see how 5 potential Switch 2 buyers just suddenly disappeared.

Well I never once implied anyone in here said to me it will fail. I am just saying it's a bit short-sighted to attempt to use past trends on Nintendo when the Switch 2 is coming off their biggest generation. Nintendo use to have two different bases... A console base that's smaller and a portable Base the 2nd biggest in the industry

The Switch consolidated that united both, you guys keep focusing on the console aspect only mentioning Wii U.

Either way they will have to really mess up to not have a successful follow up, imo.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

I dated a girl who was a librarian and she owned a switch. She wasn't really a gamer, but she got free games from the library. Zero chance she would ever drop 400 dollars on a Switch 2 just for better graphics. She had a 28 inch tv in her living room.

My sister's family has a tv that has to be 12 years old at this point. They have a switch, ps5, xbox one, and have moved to gaming PC, because they didn't buy a 4KTV they never got the full advantages of the PS5. My nephew watches youtube and twitch, so PC got the push and his dad was all about it, but initially went cheap before immediately upgrading the PC with a better video card returning the original one.

I can't imagine them buying a Switch 2.

Sony is going to have to entice people to buy PS5 by being the best price point across gaming, but also being available across gaming, which includes PC.

They're going to need to do something to get to this younger generation of gamers who plays on their ipads and iPhones, who don't care about AAA gaming.

AAA gaming and cinematic gaming works on our generation because we grew up watching movies. Now we get to play as if we were in the movies. These kids don't care about movies at all.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
And many of those who will upgrade to pro are digital only which means the demand is very high.
The console will be sold out in pre orders
Yeah I could see that happening as dunno how many of them Sony will produce... But it should be more than how the situation looked like back in 2020-2022 though! (y)

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Why buy physical in the year 2024? Once Ps7 drops, they will be dead and your disks will be worthless. Meanwhile my digital library will be just fine.... how long does it take to accept you bet your chips on the wrong horse? Coming from someone who buys a collectors edition here and there.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Why buy physical in the year 2024? Once Ps7 drops, they will be dead and your disks will be worthless. Meanwhile my digital library will be just fine.... how long does it take to accept you bet your chips on the wrong horse? Coming from someone who buys a collectors edition here and there.

Most of them are hoping that Sony will allow them to convert their discs to digital via mail in or something and will call them anti consumer when they don't.

They'll ignore the fact that they bought these games for less money than their digital counterparts and that MAYBE just MAYBE part of the value in that digital license is being able to keep it potentially in perpetuity for generations to come...

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Most of them are hoping that Sony will allow them to convert their discs to digital via mail in or something and will call them anti consumer when they don't.

They'll ignore the fact that they bought these games for less money than their digital counterparts and that MAYBE just MAYBE part of the value in that digital license is being able to keep it potentially in perpetuity for generations to come...
It's kinda funny to me.Was it anti consumer to pivot to DVDs after VCRs? was it anti consumer to switch from floppy disks to CD-ROM? Lol I think some folks just want to be hard headed and refuse to adapt.....

not wishing for the death of physical media but I think it's pretty obvious it's irrelevant now and purely for traditionalists and enthusiasts. To waste resources adding to the cost of the machine by adding a old ass disk drive to make the oldheads happy.. lol not happening. no value is lost with no disk drive.... a better method has been available for almost 20 years now.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
It's kinda funny to me.Was it anti consumer to pivot to DVDs after VCRs? was it anti consumer to switch from floppy disks to CD-ROM? Lol I think some folks just want to be hard headed and refuse to adapt.....

not wishing for the death of physical media but I think it's pretty obvious it's irrelevant now and purely for traditionalists and enthusiasts. To waste resources adding to the cost of the machine by adding a old ass disk drive to make the oldheads happy.. lol not happening. no value is lost with no disk drive.... a better method has been available for almost 20 years now.

Or keep it optional. This is the best approach instead of making different SKU's.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Let's assume scalper's aren't involved (although after a quick look on eBay only fools would think they aren't), this would mean that

1) demand for physical is higher than some pretty charts seem to point to

AND/OR

2) stock was pretty low already.

I'm pretty sure for 2) to being true, I mean, the add-on was basically useless until now, as there was a cheaper console with disc bundled already (btw, has anyone the split digital vs. disc since the slim launch?).

And that's probably also the reason for Sony launching the Pro digital only. They wanted to clear stock of all the drives they produced.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Like I said, Sony gets held to a different standard.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I dated a girl who was a librarian and she owned a switch. She wasn't really a gamer, but she got free games from the library. Zero chance she would ever drop 400 dollars on a Switch 2 just for better graphics. She had a 28 inch tv in her living room.

My sister's family has a tv that has to be 12 years old at this point. They have a switch, ps5, xbox one, and have moved to gaming PC, because they didn't buy a 4KTV they never got the full advantages of the PS5. My nephew watches youtube and twitch, so PC got the push and his dad was all about it, but initially went cheap before immediately upgrading the PC with a better video card returning the original one.

I can't imagine them buying a Switch 2.

Sony is going to have to entice people to buy PS5 by being the best price point across gaming, but also being available across gaming, which includes PC.

They're going to need to do something to get to this younger generation of gamers who plays on their ipads and iPhones, who don't care about AAA gaming.

AAA gaming and cinematic gaming works on our generation because we grew up watching movies. Now we get to play as if we were in the movies. These kids don't care about movies at all.
Well one of our kids in the family had a fight with his mom to play God of War. He finally got what he want and he finished both games. He's 12 and he was on ipad. I wouldn't say it's good that a kid plays GoW, but we were kids when played Resident Evil and GTA.
At the end, quality and fun always win the heart of people with good taste, both kids and adults

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Well one of our kids in the family had a fight with his mom to play God of War. He finally got what he want and he finished both games. He's 12 and he was on ipad. I wouldn't say it's good that a kid plays GoW, but we were kids when played Resident Evil and GTA.
At the end, quality and fun always win the heart of people with good taste, both kids and adults

Most kids want to play what influencers are playing on Twitch and Youtube.

Most of these people aren't playing SP games.

My Nephew loves Spider-Man. Miles Morales was his favorite game when it came out. I bought him Spider-Man 2 last christmas and he played it for like 30 minutes and hasn't touched it since.

No one on twitch is playing Spider-Man 2. None of his friends are playing Spider-Man 2. There is little to no incentive for him to play it and he'll probably never go back to it.

That's something that Sony and Nintendo have to contend with going forward. These budgets for games like this are increasing but their audience is shrinking.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Let's assume scalper's aren't involved (although after a quick look on eBay only fools would think they aren't), this would mean that

1) demand for physical is higher than some pretty charts seem to point to

AND/OR

2) stock was pretty low already.

I'm pretty sure for 2) to being true, I mean, the add-on was basically useless until now, as there was a cheaper console with disc bundled already (btw, has anyone the split digital vs. disc since the slim launch?).

And that's probably also the reason for Sony launching the Pro digital only. They wanted to clear stock of all the drives they produced.

There are currently 380 listings for PS5 Disc Drive on ebay (many of these not being the actual drive attachment). Totally possible that scalpers are waiting to list these, but that risks them coming back in stock and them being stuck with the product. 380 listings is hardly evidence of a major scalping operation.

Assuming stock was low already doesn't add up either and is another convenient assumption. 10s of thousands sold via Amazon US alone.

The add-on wasn't useless before. It served the purporse that it had since launch last year, which is it allowed people with digital PS5s to upgrade to full base PS5. It was cheaper to buy as a full SKU, but not everyone can afford or thinks about it at the time of purchase.

Absolutely, it was part of the reason of launching the Pro digital only. They could absolutely sell a full sku at some point in the future, but it also serves as a higher margin sale, and way to prevent higher sticker shock. People are talking about a 700 dollar PS5 Pro rather than a 750 dollar PS5 Pro.