PS5 has sold more than 533,000 units In February NPD, breaking the record set by PS2 in 2005

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Of course, there was always a ceiling. Unlike tv and music, there’s so much time you can spend on games.

I think you're right and would also add how people interact with games is fundamentally different than movies and TV - which also has an impact on the viability of sub services. Some people play one game or a few games only, for example. Or, even if they play multiple titles, they spend hundreds of hours in certain games which may not release on sub services immediately or ever - a good example is Souls games. Then there's the fact that games lead to collecting for some people which makes a sub service only good for demo purposes.

These are just a few of the reasons why the "Netflix of gaming" pipe dream never made sense to me. I think MS is realizing this too late and it's one of the reasons they're trying to reshape the industry (to one where their sub model can be majorly successful). Also, a misread like that is not surprising coming from them.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
PS + has stalled at 45-50m. I predict the ceiling for more expensive library services like GamePass/PS+ Extra to be at half of that. Glad Sony didn't go down that route of releasing their first party games that way.
Yep. You have to seriously increase the value prop (which includes dropping the price) to grow here, and it's clearly not what customers want at the prices that make the services viable. Hence Microsoft trying to strongarm the market into using GP and employing predatory pricing tactics.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
PS + has stalled at 45-50m. I predict the ceiling for more expensive library services like GamePass/PS+ Extra to be at half of that. Glad Sony didn't go down that route of releasing their first party games that way.
It is similar to the userbase ratio I believe.
MS hit a celing in Xbox and what is growing is PC Gamesspass (by own MS words two quarters ago).

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yep. You have to seriously increase the value prop (which includes dropping the price) to grow here, and it's clearly not what customers want at the prices that make the services viable. Hence Microsoft trying to strongarm the market into using GP and employing predatory pricing tactics.
They could give away the Series S for free and I still wouldn’t be interested in one.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean I should stay playing on PS4 if I had only Series S option to buy.

Or you go Series X or it won’t make difference 🤷‍♂️

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
That’s what the series s is. It’s meant to compete with ps4 in demographics that can only afford old and cheaper hardware as well as piggyback off cross gen still going and gamepass.

Series S is a last gen machine. Huge mistake. People were willing to spend top dollar for next gen machines during the height of lockdowns. They didn’t even need this pile of trash. Xbox fucked up and now devs are stuck supporting it. Shocker

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
That’s what the series s is. It’s meant to compete with ps4 in demographics that can only afford old and cheaper hardware as well as piggyback off cross gen still going and gamepass.

Series S is a last gen machine. Huge mistake. People were willing to spend top dollar for next gen machines during the height of lockdowns. They didn’t even need this pile of trash. Xbox fucked up and now devs are stuck supporting it. Shocker
Agreed, Series S was always a bad move. Can't understand how MS is so short sighted.

Reactions: FIREK2029

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Agreed, Series S was always a bad move. Can't understand how MS is so short sighted.
They wanted a system that was more powerful than PS5 with the Series X and a system that was cheaper than PS5 with the Series S. They miscalculated how the market would actually respond to them though and apparently underestimated how much of a hindrance supporting a weaker model would be.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Can’t say im not a fan of Mr. Jim Ryan. All the right moves.

"One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We've considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is."

He added: "Based on our research, it's clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.
"They want to have faith that if they end up buying a new TV that their current console will be able to support that new 4K TV they are considering on buying."

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Can’t say im not a fan of Mr. Jim Ryan. All the right moves.
I wrote similar points in the other thread without ever read that quote… I probably wrote the same in GAF when the rumors about Series S started to run.

It is basically common sense and any market research will show you that.

It is a console fated to be replaced in the near term.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I wrote similar points in the other thread without ever read that quote… I probably wrote the same in GAF when the rumors about Series S started to run.

It is basically common sense and any market research will show you that.

It is a console fated to be replaced in the near term.

My favorite counterpoint is “buh, buh SWITCH!”

ahem… it’s a handheld for children

Reactions: ethomaz

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
My favorite counterpoint is “buh, buh SWITCH!”

ahem… it’s a handheld for children

Not necessarily for children but I’d say it serves a different purpose than series s and the first party offerings are very good.
There was a sale this week and I bought Metroid Dread, Triangle Strategy, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade 3.

I don't think these games are for children. The library is very good for everyone.