PS5 hits 61m as Sony’s year-on-year Q1 hardware sales fall but operating income rises

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Isn't XS behind Xbone in US? @enpleinjour
Correct. Which is why it’s laughable that Matt would use 360 sales comparison to frame a weird ass picture that Series console sales are fine. They’re not fine because it’s doing worst than the console from last gen which was considered to be the worst console gen in history. Xbox is going backward while PlayStation and Nintendo hardwares continue to trend upward.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Another great move from Sony.

Let Bungie do what they do best... Destiny and the new Marathon.
Move the others projects to another arm of Sony where it can be now exclusive to PS5 without harm the public perception of Bungie.

Win-win.

That synergy only can exists if you own the other party... so you can move employees, teams, projects whatever you like.

Reactions: Puff

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Another great move from Sony.

Let Bungie do what they do best... Destiny and the new Marathon.
Move the others projects to another arm of Sony where it can be now exclusive to PS5 without harm the public perception of Bungie.

Win-win.

That synergy only can exists if you own the other party... so you can move employees, teams, projects whatever you like.

Bungie overspent and previous (now laid off) Destiny producers focused on pissing away money on spin-offs. They still had to answer and with this course correction. With that all said, I still expect Sony’s Bungie to be a better managed version of Bungie than previous interations and now this fiscal responsibility will just come as consequence.

I remember Luke Smith being considered the villain for many years as the early face of the game. Still demonized he fell back into an executive producer role said to be incubating new Destiny products.

Now knowing what those products were; which was just splitting Destiny proper into spin offs chasing new trends. I honestly can’t disagree with axing the direction Luke Smith was taking it post final shape outside of the game proper. And all that got canned with resources rolled back into Marathon/Destiny if not cut altogether. I prefer what they’re committing to doing now, staying with D2 and launching Marsthon. Screw the rest

So… was Luke Smith actually still the problem? I say this as someone who would’ve normally defended his contributions.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So, will whatever new game is under development not be on Xbox? Not that it matters; it is probably a moba or mobile game, and I don't play those.
They didn't announce any change regarding this topic, so their strategy continues being the same:
  • The ones published by Bungie like Marathon would release on Xbox and PC, full featured, day one.
  • The ones published by PS Studios (which now includes the project that was incubated at Bungie) won't be released on Xbox. They may be ported to PC, in some cases day one in case of GaaS MP, and around 2 years or more after their original PS release (the original one, not counting remasters/remakes/release). Games with external IPs like MLB or Lego could be exceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Entropi

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Correct. Which is why it’s laughable that Matt would use 360 sales comparison to frame a weird ass picture that Series console sales are fine. They’re not fine because it’s doing worst than the console from last gen which was considered to be the worst console gen in history. Xbox is going backward while PlayStation and Nintendo hardwares continue to trend upward.

@Evilms

• Informative
Reactions: Evilms

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

In 2 years bungie will be downsized to a Destiny 2 support studio while all the other staff is split up between sony studios or laid off. I wouldnt be shocked if they closed them down by them, especially if Marathon doesnt land.

• sad
Reactions: Puff

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

The X360 was at 41.1 millions as of december 2013.
xzK6sQo.jpeg

And The previous LTD was 43.2M at the end.

So -500k.

YcxqEuU.png

Last edited:

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
nib95 absolutely DESTROYED Takashi, lmao!
When a non-industry person takes your lunch like that... Takashi needs to QUIT!

Mat lard-a**: "Numbered generations are silly."
Really? Because he seems to love to use that type of data to downplay anything Playstation.

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
nib95 absolutely DESTROYED Takashi, lmao!
When a non-industry person takes your lunch like that... Takashi needs to QUIT!

Mat lard-a**: "Numbered generations are silly."
Really? Because he seems to love to use that type of data to downplay anything Playstation.

Link to a tweet?

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Why not compare it with the previous portables then instead of home consoles?

It's a dumb ass comparison, i don't know why he tweeted that.

I know in the time many people haven't accepted the success of the PS2 and would have us believe that it sold because it could play DVDs. Of course, it could be used as a DVD player, but its success throughout its marketing was mainly due to the quality of its games, which were becoming more and more numerous which make à massive argument. Succeeding the wonderful PS1 made his job easier especially since it was backwards compatible. Not to mention that the real competitors arrived a little late (NGC and XBX). There are many factors.

As for the Switch, I don't see what the problem is with saying that it's a portable console, because in the facts it is a handheld console, with its components derived from mobile hardware, and even more so with the Switch Lite. Yes it's a hanheld machine deny this would be in bad faith.

The Switch + Oled are still portables that can be connected to a TV, just like the Steam Deck, Rog Ally and not home consoles that become a portable system. We must have to do the difference between the reality and marketing.

But I wouldn't say it's a success because it's portable, it sold well because the marketing was clearer and much better than that of the Wii U, and Nintendo managed to convince and sell its Hybrid concept by selling it as a home console and portable at the same time (at least that was the idea at the start before the Lite), which was a good move on their part, but the games also weighed in the balance, plus the console's price wasn't too high.
And let's not forget that it was alone in the portable console sector between 2017 and 2022, facing an end-of-life 3DS and an already dead PSVita.
The space was free for occupy the market. All of this contributed to its success.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters