PS5 price to increase in select markets due to global economic environment, including high inflation rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I really don’t see nintendo and microsoft staying flat. They may ride out the next couple of weeks or month for the easy PR win but I don’t think they are trying to take hits, especially nintendo who are making a lot of profit right now solely off their hw sales.

I think everyone was just waiting for the other to jump and now they’re sort of in the clear to not face the biggest backlash. Sony is gonna get back lash for a couple of weeks now and then during the holidays they are gonna clean up because they raised their prices. The other companies know they are gonna take a big hit this holiday if they dont

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The other thing I don't hear you mention is that if a game isn't fun it won't matter what the price is. Lower pricing for consoles and software is good for gamers. Lower prices means more people playing. More people playing means a bigger ecosystem and more support from more developers. More developers means increased competition which leads to higher quality games overall. I'm thinking you are looking at things a bit short-sightedly.
A new report says the Series consoles sold 13.8 millions. I guess consumers didn't get the memo that cheaper is always better 🤷

Pentiment will sell more than God Of War this November because it's cheaper. Better value.

D

Deleted member 140

If I was Phil, I'd lower the price. Would be one of those famous moves like the game sharing.

I would think that MS is struggling as well, but they can hold off longer. If you make a loss on every sold console, it hurts Sony way more because they are selling millions more consoles, 50 $ times some millions = significantly more painful.

Last edited by a moderator:

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Big nothing burger. I think the only reason the US isn't getting a price increase is because its the only country that actually has ads in the explore tab.

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Have other electronic goods increased in price? TVs, Phones, Fridges, Washers, Cookers, PC components, etc.
The prices of manufacturing chips has gone up so much Apple is literally reusing the same chipset from the previous Iphones for the new range.

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
No it doesn't. Cheap indies don't sell more than AAA just because they're cheaper and cheap consoles like the Series S don't sell more than the big boys (or Nintendo). Game Pass is cheap as fuck with a bigger install base and they still can't reach NSO or PS+.

People don't mind paying for quality like Apple, Nintendo and Sony products.

Who's competing with Sony developers? Saints Row just came out and it's also Gamescom. Everything look shite besides Sony and they have the smallest ecosystem.
Uh before Sony merged their online subscribers with their game subscription service they were handily being beaten by Game pass. Game pass still is a better deal. People will absolutely sign up for the best value.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Uh before Sony merged their online subscribers with their game subscription service they were handily being beaten by Game pass. Game pass still is a better deal. People will absolutely sign up for the best value.
Is it the best deal? Saw some $ comparisons previously showing psn offers more for less.

Reactions: BadBurger

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Big nothing burger. I think the only reason the US isn't getting a price increase is because its the only country that actually has ads in the explore tab.
Its mainly because most of the US pays sales tax on top. A PS5 in California costs like $550 total. The dollar and euro are basically equal right now. So a PS5 now costs about the same in the US and the EU. Closer than it was before.

And because Sony clearly don’t want to price the PS5 higher than XBS in the US.

Also, there are no ads in my PS5’s explore tab. I’m in the US.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Lay it on me. Tell me how you can do a better job than the current man/teams at the top of SIE.

Game Studios:
  • Expand internal teams so that they can handle both established IP and new IP. This includes multiple teams at ND so they can handle the Uncharted and TLOU universes + any new IP, etc.
    • This would allow for new entries + spin-off titles, with the latter being released day 1 on PS5 and PC. Spin-offs should stay under AA realm or, at most, AA+ realm, so that they are cheaper and faster to produce;
  • Timeline of never less than 24 months post-console release for PC releases. PC releases would be treated as "remasters" of the original game with all the bells and whistles a PC can afford. If a mid-gen console refresh is released, console users would get the game updated for free with said bells and whistles
  • GaaS games to prioritize console and PC cross-play with the option to disable it. Day 1 on both. Focus on free-to-play games with paid DLC expansions and cosmetic microtransactions.
  • Expand PS Plus to PC users so that they can pay for the plan and have access to streaming of games + cross platform titles. I'd also stop selling games in other storefronts to reduce revenue sharing expenses. This would likely involve having a PC only plan so that PC gamers don't get stuck paying more for a service that ultimately would include fewer perks
  • I'd also create additional teams within Bluepoint with the goal of producing both remakes and remasters of beloved franchises (Syphon Filter, Jack & Daxter, etc). They could then focus on their own IP + what they do best.
Acquisitions:
  • grabbing one or two bigger studios with a heavy footprint in Japan while keeping their IP outside the Xbox consoles. The only places to play them would be the PS5 and PC (where they can be acquired via proprietary storefront) and, when possible, Nintendo consoles (6 months post PS and PC release).
  • grabbing a few smaller studios (think Ember Labs) and have them create both AA and AAA experiences, most likely new IPs

Hardware:
  • Continue with the existing bet of creating peripherals that are PS5 and PC cross-compatible.
  • Not increase console prices

This is a rough draft, and I'd need to run some numbers to understand the full scope and costs, but IMO it would be the best of both worlds and a direction that would devalue console gaming the least while expanding to the PC market.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'll never understand why people take adjustable rate mortgages? Really?

Some people don't have an option. My mortgage is fixed but the maximum I could get was 5 year fixed rates.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Game Studios:
  • Expand internal teams so that they can handle both established IP and new IP. This includes multiple teams at ND so they can handle the Uncharted and TLOU universes + any new IP, etc.
    • This would allow for new entries + spin-off titles, with the latter being released day 1 on PS5 and PC. Spin-offs should stay under AA realm or, at most, AA+ realm, so that they are cheaper and faster to produce;
  • Timeline of never less than 24 months post-console release for PC releases. PC releases would be treated as "remasters" of the original game with all the bells and whistles a PC can afford. If a mid-gen console refresh is released, console users would get the game updated for free with said bells and whistles
  • GaaS games to prioritize console and PC cross-play with the option to disable it. Day 1 on both. Focus on free-to-play games with paid DLC expansions and cosmetic microtransactions.
  • Expand PS Plus to PC users so that they can pay for the plan and have access to streaming of games + cross platform titles. I'd also stop selling games in other storefronts to reduce revenue sharing expenses. This would likely involve having a PC only plan so that PC gamers don't get stuck paying more for a service that ultimately would include fewer perks
  • I'd also create additional teams within Bluepoint with the goal of producing both remakes and remasters of beloved franchises (Syphon Filter, Jack & Daxter, etc). They could then focus on their own IP + what they do best.
Acquisitions:
  • grabbing one or two bigger studios with a heavy footprint in Japan while keeping their IP outside the Xbox consoles. The only places to play them would be the PS5 and PC (where they can be acquired via proprietary storefront) and, when possible, Nintendo consoles (6 months post PS and PC release).
  • grabbing a few smaller studios (think Ember Labs) and have them create both AA and AAA experiences, most likely new IPs

Hardware:
  • Continue with the existing bet of creating peripherals that are PS5 and PC cross-compatible.
  • Not increase console prices

This is a rough draft, and I'd need to run some numbers to understand the full scope and costs, but IMO it would be the best of both worlds and a direction that would devalue console gaming the least while expanding to the PC market.
Ok great, you too are now incompetent according to the member i originally responded to. Because it sounds like you and Jim think alike as most of these things are already in play at sie. Not necessarily better just more of the same is what i got, therefore incompetent…….

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
How much is the cost for the mobile components in the quest tho. What’s an brand name mobile phone cost with equivalent power?

Why would you ask about brand name if you want to know cost? lol

The cheapest phones w/ that same processor (close as possible since not exact) are like $399.

The processor itself is not super expensive. Probably $50?

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
Those PC the beggar race people calling Sony greedy for 30$, yet they have no problem paying almost 3 times the price to build a PC that matchs the PS5 performance. they are the last ones to give financial advice when they are okey being scammed by Nvidia, Intel and AMD.
merch-1.jpg

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Why would you ask about brand name if you want to know cost? lol

The cheapest phones w/ that same processor (close as possible since not exact) are like $399.

The processor itself is not super expensive. Probably $50?
The Quest is a brand name, not some Alibaba China landfill no?

So if the cheapest phone itself is $399, without any brand marketing I assume? The quest must be at the minimum+ that to bring to market just with the mobile components themselves.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
The Quest is a brand name, not some Alibaba China landfill no?

So if the cheapest phone itself is $399, without any brand marketing I assume? The quest must be at the minimum+ that to bring to market just with the mobile components themselves.
Oh I see why you asked, but not sure what your point is.. isolating the cost of the processor is all that really matters here because it is the only thing PSVR2 is lacking compared to Quest 2. Every other part in the PSVR2 including it's 2 controllers are going to be more costly.

Quest 2 is cheap shit really + a processor other units don't have. It is likely deeply subsidized even w/ most of it being lower quality than anything in PSVR2. We don't know how much, but Zuck has outright said it is subsidized.

More comparable devices to PSVR2 are $1000-1300.

Status
Not open for further replies.