PS5 price to increase in select markets due to global economic environment, including high inflation rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
oh man, I got baited so hard on gaf in this topic... ooof.... I should've known better
it's just 50$ which is ok. Not a big deal

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
You need a lesson in whats called exchange rates. Right now Gas/Petroleum is still super high. How do you think these consoles get to places around the world? Also there's terrifs for some countries and right now we are in a global economic crisis. Which means everything goes up, on top of that exchange rates are so volatile that it also contributes. On top of cost of resources across the board. I mean in the late 90's to early 2000's exchange rates for certain countries regions made PS2 $900!!

We are in w weird time, covid on top of a war in Ukraine, has caused a huge discrepancies in global economy.

It will come back down at somepoint. But it's a ripple effect caused by many factors. And those companies not uber rich like Microsoft where they can weather a storm like this, things like this happen.

It sucks, but until the war is over, and pipelines, product resources get back in-line its going to be a thing for a while.

Yet no one else has increased their prices.

Fair enough about Microsoft. Has Nintendo increased their prices?

Have other electronic goods increased in price? TVs, Phones, Fridges, Washers, Cookers, PC components, etc.

Maybe Sony was using Russian fuel to transport the PS5.

This will bite Sony in the ass whether they are right or not simply because they did it first. First 70 dollar games now this increase in console price. Sony were first to do it and will take the backlash.

Even if what you say is true they could have played it smart and waited until other companies increased their prices first.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Sony of Europe thrived in spite of him. He was in a position where all he had to was sign on whatever any department asked, and sit on it then go to Gamescom preaching "no complacency".

Now that he has real power, his incompetence really shines through.
Incompetence? If you have a better plan dude we all want to hear it....

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Yet no one else has increased their prices.

Fair enough about Microsoft. Has Nintendo increased their prices?

Have other electronic goods increased in price? TVs, Phones, Fridges, Washers, Cookers, PC components, etc.

Maybe Sony was using Russian fuel to transport the PS5.

This will bite Sony in the ass whether they are right or not simply because they did it first. First 70 dollar games now this increase in console price. Sony were first to do it and will take the backlash.

Even if what you say is true they could have played it smart and waited until other companies increased their prices first.
some people were saying last year that the oled switch was a stealth price increase, they went with a cheaper OLED screen, added a ethernet port, and added 32 gigs of space and sold it at an extra $50

I kniow apple increased their prices on phones but I was able to get a Xperia 5 III a under msrp in July

Reactions: Muddasar

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
People really think jim ryan is the person who raised the price? :unsure:

You think it came down from Totoki-san?

People don't understand how business works... Apple raises prices and they keep selling. The demand must be sky high for them to do that. And nothing will change tbh.

I hope so. Most of the price increases seem to be on the smaller side, it's maybe only a couple of select markets that could get hit by that 20% increase.

Wow!!! And here I thought that this was bullshit on Twitter. I guess not.

Someone should tell Jim Ryan he's going in the wrong direction on the expressway. lmao

I wonder if Microsoft follows suit or stay as is. If they have any intelligence whatsoever, they will stay as is and if anything come November/December, I would put Series X/S on sale for $400/$200 or whatever the equivalent would be in other regions outside of the U.S.

Do people here still think Sony hits their 33m or so sales target by March 31st, 2023? I can't imagine that this would help in any way, shape or form.

HIGHLY doubt MS lower the Series prices this fall. The inflation factors affect them as well, and while they may be okay with hardware losses as-is, they are probably not okay with even more hardware losses through an unnecessary price cut. Besides, they do not have much in terms of exclusives this holiday season, or big AAA marketing deals, to drive console sales that much.

What they can probably do, though, is extend that free game promotion with Series S and expand it to Series X for a limited time. That would probably serve them a lot better than a price cut. Btw I still think they can hit the 33 million by end of FY2022, particularly if the bulk of those systems are going to NA, the one place without a price increase. They may take some small hit in certain foreign markets where the price is going up by upwards 20%, but IIRC that is not all of them and most will see much lower price increase.

All I know is, they might want to start talking a bit more of some of the other exclusives they have planned to launch for PS5 over the next two years, 1P and 3P. And for 1P, make sure most of that is not of the live-service, GaaS variety. Of course some of those games are in the works, we know that, but the main PS fans didn't come to support the brand because of those types of games 1P-wise.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
If ms don't follow through with their own increeas they could getaway with a short term increase, as the ps5 demand is so high, and drop it down next fiscal year even before inflation does down to limit long term damage.

Hopefully jimbo don't get the idea let's keep it at that price.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
This is awful! I feel terrible for the people that are looking for a PS5, and now having to pay even more. This gen, Sony has REALLY tried to milk their base and it's really unfortunate. I hope I don't see people defending this, but I haven't looked through the thread yet.

Reactions: DarkMage619

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Psvr2 doesn’t need to be Uber expensive. Let’s examine…

2 x controllers same tech as DSense
Headset with OLED + Cameras
Budget audio buds

No battery in headset, no cpu in headset - all processing offloaded to the ps5.

1/3 the price of Quest, 1/2 at most?
It is definitely expensive than quest… the screen alone is more expense.

It is more advanced too.

D

Deleted member 51

Buying a car brand new car off the lot...diminishes immediately.

Buying a ps5 period, STONKS!.... PLENTY OF STONKS!

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
PS5 is gonna keep selling out either way, I don't see how this is actually a "bad move".. slight PR hit, but PS is too dominant/desirable to really have these PR hits matter.

@ethomaz : Yeah @Shmunter seems to be thinking the headless aspect makes it dramatically more expensive.

The problem with that logic is that Facebook is DEEPLY subsidizing Quest 2. The exact same hardware is sold for $799 for their "business version" that isn't expected to sell software.

So w/ better overall hardware, even with a lack of a competent CPU/GPU on-board for headless operation, it's unlikely PSVR2 is going to be able to be priced lower than $399, and that will be at a loss.

$499 all things considered is in the cards.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
There's really 2 things here:
- Cost of parts has gone up
- Xbox is sitting on shelves even the cheap ass XSS in much of the world
- Easy way to get revenue up for the year

In the USA, where Xbox is a bit more competitive? No price hike. Not shocking.

XSS is easy to get in the US, but contrary to a lot of beliefs.. it does sell.. I check my "Targets w/i 50 miles" for XSS every once in a while and it sells out or goes low stock at stores.. super easy to find, but the machines are moving you can tell by the "only X left" numbers changing.

What do you think the motivation for the "buy a Series S, get one of these games for free?" promotional deal going on ATM was motivated by? It's still weird to me because it's only the tail end of August; maybe it's driven by back-to-school stuff but they could've just offered a discount for students for that.

Personally I think it's because Series S sales were lagging the past quarter or so and they needed a way to bump up demand for more sales of that model. Second option could be they're wanting to push Xbox sales before GOW Ragnarok, some other PS exclusives hit in the Fall and PS5 supply increases even further.

It's an item that has demand outstripping supply. It's not a "bad move" unless it results in dropped sales (which it likely won't). They are still going to sell out everything they make.

Prices are seeing insane increases across the board lately. You didn't expect this to affect our little hobby here?

Personally I just feel it could've been more strategic. Like, just copy what Microsoft are doing right now with Series S promotion deals, and offer some bundles with big 3P games included at some higher cost.

How much do those custom plates cost? Just do bundles with PS5s featuring those and some game for the cost the price hikes end up being, and make those the majority of new units for a while.

Psvr2 doesn’t need to be Uber expensive. Let’s examine…

2 x controllers same tech as DSense
Headset with OLED + Cameras
Budget audio buds

No battery in headset, no cpu in headset - all processing offloaded to the ps5.

1/3 the price of Quest, 1/2 at most?

That's too cheap, and might create a supply shortage and another product for scalpers to buy up and then ripoff the fans at grossly marked-up prices. They'll probably price it same as the Quest or $50 cheaper at most.

They probably want some headroom for further price drops when needed so starting too low would be a detriment.

His "Complacency" helped getting Europe the biggest market for the PS2 as he was one of the heads they flew to Japan to have a meeting with Ken in 2001. His Complacency got us our first ever free pack in with astros playroom with a playstation console. It also got us real next gen exclusives like Demons Souls Remake, Ratchet, and Returnal all during a pandemic after giving us one of the greatest send offs for a console with the PS4 with Dreams, FF7 Remake, TLOU 2, GOT, Sackboy, Miles Morales, and Iron Man VR.

Overall I think for shareholders and vast majority of fans, Jim's doing his job well. And, he still has to do many things for higher-ups, FWIW.

But some of the stuff listed here, you think we should maybe thank Shawn Layden for instead? Or at least primarily? Layden left late 2019, he would've been the one overseeing Demon's Souls Remake, R&C Rift Apart, Returnal etc. not to mention TLOU2, GOT, Sackboy, Miles Morales and the such. Those were all games being developed mainly under his tenure.

Jim Ryan didn't take over until most of those games were either more or less finished, or close to that point. I think games like GT7, HFW, and GOW Ragnarok will be more reflective of 1P under Jim Ryan's management specifically, and certainly releases further out than that like Spiderman 2 and Wolverine.

What I do know, tho, is it's under Jim Ryan where we've seen a much bigger push for PS games to PC, and mention and plans for live-service/GaaS 1P content, things that are still quite "new" to the modern PS fanbase. The current management running PlayStation have made mention they're going to do a balance of that new stuff with the traditional they are known for, somewhat in favor of the latter. But they should probably start readying to tip their hand a bit more with a bit more of the roadmap for the traditional stuff in the near future.

I'm hoping there's a glimpse of it at the next big showcase. We're good on PC ports, we're good on peripherals, we're good on services, we're good on the live-service/GaaS plans for now. I think a lot of us want a tease towards the next new 1P AAA IP in the leagues of an Uncharted/TLOU/GOW/Spiderman. Some of us want to see classic/legacy IP come back with new entries or remakes. A lot of us want to see a bit more on some of the 3P exclusives.

And of course some updates on GOW Ragnarok, Factions and probably Spiderman 2 as well, but those would be expected.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
What do you think the motivation for the "buy a Series S, get one of these games for free?" promotional deal going on ATM was motivated by? It's still weird to me because it's only the tail end of August; maybe it's driven by back-to-school stuff but they could've just offered a discount for students for that.

Personally I think it's because Series S sales were lagging the past quarter or so and they needed a way to bump up demand for more sales of that model. Second option could be they're wanting to push Xbox sales before GOW Ragnarok, some other PS exclusives hit in the Fall and PS5 supply increases even further.

Supply certainly outpaces demand for Series S. I think they produced a lot, and well.. just want to increase demand like you said.

MS has to manage the production rate of X vs S, and have talked about the balance.. they probably have a chance to switch the balance back to X for a while now that Series S has just been so "in stock" for so long.

My point was that it is moving units... it's why MS can be ahead on unit sales and lose the revenue race different months vs. Playstation. It's out there on shelves, but that's partly because MS is replenishing stock that was sold.

Series X isn't really on shelves yet, but has enough stock to be sort of indefinitely online... if they shift production more to X we might see it start sitting on shelves too.

Status
Not open for further replies.