PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
As we all know advanced features and rendering are now being utilized to reach 4K that was simply not possible with the PlayStation 4 Pro.
PS4 Pro implemented a hardware solution to reach 4K, it was a commendable effort but software CBR implementations were soon more performant or flexible with advantages in temporal aspects, then the whole thing eventually got left behind for superior techniques. Yes, on the ps5 and all other consoles there are software solutions used to present anti-aliased 4K output from lower res native resolutions, but far too often the end results are not quite there - particularly when working from too low a base resolution. The results are sometimes just messy. The more the gen goes on and we move away from effectively super-charged last gen games, the more these kind of problems become apparent.

So we're already where things need to be, last generation that wasn't the case.
Nah, nowhere near. You, with your 4090 and DLSS 3.x, might be where you need to be, but console gamers are certainly not. PS5 Pro addresses this issue thanks to PSSR - another bespoke hardware-assisted solution from Sony, along with some other nice upgrades.

I mean, do you use FSR2 as your default upscaling solution when playing games on your PC? Heh, like fuck you do, of course not ;-) Would you be fine if DLSS was taken away from you today and you were left with FSR2 as your best case solution? Doubt! In all honesty, your pontificating suggests you're actually thinking I'm where I need to be and console gamers need to know their place stuck with their shitty software-based solutions, lol... Kinda master race as it gets that, ngl.

That's why I'm kind of puzzled as to why they're really making it in the first place, I don't see a function to where it's actually necessary or serving a new purpose.
Well duuuh, you'd have us believe you take time away from games on your 4090, working in blender and inside that sweet, sweet 5k HMD to share your wisdom here, so naturally you don't see why it's necessary or serves a purpose because you have nothing upon which to base anything worthwhile or relevant. If you played current gen games on console you'd know that current software solutions for upscaling and anti-aliasing are increasingly not good enough, if you had a Series S like myself you'd wish eye-bleach was a thing because that's just how offensive some of this shit looks. Going into the 2nd half of the gen Sony has this console to address that kind of crap and a few other things, and is using it as a platform upon which to work towards PS6 and beyond where AI/ML will play an increasingly more important role in offering better performance.

IIRC the cpu didn't change on the PS4Pro, right?

Is that an ease of development thing?
It got a 33% upclock. There's lots of reasons that make sense why it's just 10% this time out in the DF video: power, heat/cooling, die space, existing architecture, etc. Alex talks about it at the end in very PC terms but misses the point entirely - the point of a Pro console is to maximise presenting the exact same games the best way possible rather than being an entire system upgrade - that's what generations are for, not mid-gen refreshes. The same reason xbox didn't need a hugely more powerful CPU in the Series X over the Series S's CPU - just a few 100mhz - when the GPU was 3 times as powerful... they're both running the same games just working to present them differently. DF's whole approach to this aspect here was far less forgiving than their assessment of S & X around launch... 🤔

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
A closed system like a console will.
I agree with this. BC and games compiled for ps5 will be using single issue, compile for PS5 pro mode - dual issue. The dev kit will support this.
Oh you guys make me laugh, you really do.

Here comes the secret sauce, it happens every gen with every single console and it never amounts to anything LOL. There's a reason why it's already explained that it's a 45% performance uplift...

Reactions: ethomaz

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Here comes the secret sauce, it happens every gen with every single console and it never amounts to anything LOL. There's a reason why it's already explained that it's a 45% performance uplift...
Did the ps4 pro not use the checkerboard and stencil buffer to provide 4k?

Reactions: panda-zebra

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I from the beginning said 3 X the PS5 GPU comparing just the GPU's.

Never said we would get this in gaming nor do I think so because of bottlenecks in other parts of the specs.
But it's not 3x. Dual issue has to be specifically accounted for and it won't. Using proper math, it's a 62% ISH percentage increase in "raw power", which matters fuck all because bandwidth has not increased 62%. I'm much more interested in knowing how big each cache is, type of caches, and their upscaling technique.

It's still 16.74TF no matter how much you squirm, just because people want to buy I to marketing bullshit it doesn't matter.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's the other way around for me, can we stop quoting this 16tf bs until Sony or AMD does? Nobody is going to call the Pro a 16tf machine because it doesn't say that in the specs, so continue to be disappointed for like ever
I'm calculating based on actual math and the rumoured/leaked specs. Why would it be disappointed though? I was one of the few that always said terrorflops matter fuck all (with exceptions, of course). I'm just correcting misinformation caused by supposed technical experts that couldn't be arsed to be honest.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Did the ps4 pro not use the checkerboard and stencil buffer to provide 4k?
That has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. You guys are trailing off into a land of fantasy and it's going to bite you in the rear.

As mentioned before how did AMD RPM pan out for games? Oh yeah, that was in the PS4 Pro marketing buzz and would you look at that...

Nothing.

You're getting a $500-$600 box, understand where that resides and stop trying to rationalize your way to it being a 4090 competitor, it's ridiculous.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK

45% performance uplift... that sees an 1800P/30 game upscaled to 4K on base ps5 running at the same IQ on ps5 Pro at 60FPS - double the performance.

That's the very definition of secret sauce - PSSR. It's not a secret, but it's saucy af.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I'm calculating based on actual math and the rumoured/leaked specs. Why would it be disappointed though? I was one of the few that always said terrorflops matter fuck all (with exceptions, of course). I'm just correcting misinformation caused by supposed technical experts that couldn't be arsed to be honest.
Just let it go, its not worth getting annoyed over.

• brain
Reactions: rinzler

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't know how to further explain this to you. It's 33 teraflops dual issue, it will not use dual issue because nothing uses dual issue particularly games.

You will get what is essentially half of the stated teraflop figure.
It would be possible for the dual issue commands to be used if it was in the ps5 base spec but I highly doubt anyone will bother with a userbase of (optimistically) like 15m units by end of console cycle

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
It would be possible for the dual issue commands to be used if it was in the ps5 base spec but I highly doubt anyone will bother with a userbase of (optimistically) like 15m units by end of console cycle
I could also cook a ribeye on the SoC as that has the same likelihood of taking place as this.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I like this guy.
War Fx GIF by BasketsFX

• haha
Reactions: Dr Bass