PS5 Slim/PS5 mid-gen refresh Rumours and News Round up.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think it most likely priced at 69999円/500 USD without disc drive.

PS5 use GPU equivalent of RX 6700 and R73700X and it costs them around 50 USD loss to produce on units. Disc unit save them 50 USD, so that's 100 USD.

So it naturally PS5 mid-gen refresh will feature Navi 41 36CU that price range, with 1.65TB SSD and 24GB VRAM(both are dirt cheap rn). That leave them with more room to improve CPU, maybe 3D V Cache? That could leave them with no to little deadweight loss on units sold.

That leaves them with PS5 Slim, which my guess will be 40000円/300USD.

What?

Base PS5 was being sold without losses back in 2021. Digital PS5 is where they were likely taking the brunt of the loss, and nowadays that has probably massively subsided. Also, a disc drive does not cost 50 quid, not even remotely close.

Reactions: historia
OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
What?

Base PS5 was being sold without losses back in 2021. Digital PS5 is where they were likely taking the brunt of the loss, and nowadays that has probably massively subsided. Also, a disc drive does not cost 50 quid, not even remotely close.
https://xtech.nikkei.com/atcl/nxt/mag/nmc/18/00086/00001/
My bad, I was reading this and did not transfer currency probably.
That was shortly after launch I think, not sure how much 6nm save them.
Also I have never seen a PS5 Digital in retail before. Probably because of loss they never make them

Reactions: Jim Ryan

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
What?

Yeah it can't be $200 price differences between Slim and Pro. At best Slim gonna be priced at $399 till the end of gen.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
They've gotta reshape the thing with the Slim, PS3 gen style, right? That stand is an abomination, and the thing is just huge.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think the demand for the disc version is so much higher.

This is a nice way to make things cheaper but the Bluray player HAS to be easily available or it wont be accepted very well.

I'm most excited for the Pro though, wonder if it will also use the same detachable bluray.
I dont think the point is to sell more discless consoles for cheap. They just want to manufacture one console instead of two and free the other production line for the pro.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PS5 Slim - 450€ + 100€ for disc attachment
PS5 Pro - 550€

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the Pro will or will not include a disc drive. Considering current Playstation, I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibility that they don't include one.

But I can't see the pro going above current disc PS5 price.

Edit - people have to think about value proposition. This is the same as when a smartphone manufacturer sells the 256GB memory smartphone for 1k and then the 1TB version for 1.1K. They want you to buy the latter, not the former, and its existence is purely to increase the perceived value of the target product. If Sony wants to position the PS5 pro as the target product, they will position it at current price for the disc PS5.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
PS5 Slim - 450€ + 100€ for disc attachment
PS5 Pro - 550€

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the Pro will or will not include a disc drive. Considering current Playstation, I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibility that they don't include one.

But I can't see the pro going above current disc PS5 price.

Edit - people have to think about value proposition. This is the same as when a smartphone manufacturer sells the 256GB memory smartphone for 1k and then the 1TB version for 1.1K. They want you to buy the latter, not the former, and its existence is purely to increase the perceived value of the target product. If Sony wants to position the PS5 pro as the target product, they will position it at current price for the disc PS5.
Wouldn't that have depend on what kind of new tech they are putting into it? People are looking for much much better performance where expectations are like 4k/60fps on typical games. That's quite a lot of silicon changes and definitely more costly than a $50 upgrade. Right?

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wouldn't that have depend on what kind of new tech they are putting into it? People are looking for much much better performance where expectations are like 4k/60fps on typical games. That's quite a lot of silicon changes and definitely more costly than a $50 upgrade. Right?

We're 3 years into the generation, 4 if it releases next year. SSD and Memory prices have tumbled down. APU / CPU / GPU production woes are solved, there's no shortages.

A substantial update to run games at 4k60 or 1440p120 shouldnt cost more than the original PS5 cost.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
We're 3 years into the generation, 4 if it releases next year. SSD and Memory prices have tumbled down. APU / CPU / GPU production woes are solved, there's no shortages.

A substantial update to run games at 4k60 or 1440p120 shouldnt cost more than the original PS5 cost.
I don't know man.. that's alot of bandwidth for a mid-gen refresh. I guess we'll see in a year if they even bother to make one.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't know man.. that's alot of bandwidth for a mid-gen refresh. I guess we'll see in a year if they even bother to make one.

The PS4 pro managed to deliver twice as many pixels per second (either via doubling the resolution or framerate) with a bump to the GPU, a clock boost to the CPU, and a 24% bandwidth difference.

I sincerely doubt the PS5 is CPU limited, so that can stay the same. They do need a boost to the GPU (double the CU count would be perfect) and keep it at around the same frequency. If they add infinity cache, they don't necessarily need to boost the bandwidth that much in order to improve their results significantly.

Rough specs for both consoles:

PS5 - Ryzen 3700x + Radeon RX 6700 [Essentially a 6700XT with 4 CUs disabled]
PS5 Pro - Ryzen 3700x + Radeon RX 6800 XT [Essentially a 6950XT with 8 CUs disabled]

Ideally, they would add another 4 to 8GB RAM to the configuration for the Pro model, as well as that infinity cache.

Last edited:
OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The PS4 pro managed to deliver twice as many pixels per second (either via doubling the resolution or framerate) with a bump to the GPU, a clock boost to the CPU, and a 24% bandwidth difference.

I sincerely doubt the PS5 is CPU limited, so that can stay the same. They do need a boost to the GPU (double the CU count would be perfect) and keep it at around the same frequency. If they add infinity cache, they don't necessarily need to boost the bandwidth that much in order to improve their results significantly.

Rough specs for both consoles:

PS5 - Ryzen 3700x + Radeon RX 6700 [Essentially a 6700XT with 4 CUs disabled]
PS5 Pro - Ryzen 3700x + Radeon RX 6800 XT [Essentially a 6950XT with 8 CUs disabled]

Ideally, they would add another 4 to 8GB RAM to the configuration for the Pro model, as well as that infinity cache.
It would probably be RX 8600/8700 XT?(or Navi 41 36 CU or 72 CU) If the latter then it must cost more than 500 USD
For memory my guess is 24 GB GDDR6X. Also 1.65TB 12 channel SSD

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It would probably be RX 8600/8700 XT?(or Navi 41 36 CU or 72 CU) If the latter then it must cost more than 500 USD
For memory my guess is 24 GB GDDR6X. Also 1.65TB 12 channel SSD

First, what RX 8600? That GPU doesn't exist (at least yet). Second, why would they go beyond custom RDNA 2 (already on 6nm) when their current GPU is custom RDNA 2? Third, AMD doesn't use GDDR6X (for various reasons, ranging from price to it being an NVidia technology), they have their own workaround with infinity cache, which I added to my post.

OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
First, what RX 8600? That GPU doesn't exist (at least yet). Second, why would they go beyond custom RDNA 2 (already on 6nm) when their current GPU is custom RDNA 2? Third, AMD doesn't use GDDR6X (for various reasons, ranging from price to it being an NVidia technology), they have their own workaround with infinity cache, which I added to my post.
My guess for Navi 41 lineup. Because of PS5 IO design, it has to be 18/36/72 CUs GPU, PS5's GPU is big Navi 21 so should it be an upgrade, from 7-6nm FF to 4nm FF (PS5 2000 model could be 5nm FF). Going back to Navi 21 not gonna save much while power consumption gonna be massive. PS4 Pro went for a GCN 4.0 double CUs(from GCN 1.1)approach and it doesn't go very well, the performance uplift is poor because GCN itself is a poor architecture. This time it will be different.

Also AMD doesn't use GDDR6X on their graphic cards doesn't mean Sony won't use it either. AMD only provide the APU, Sony get to design their board. So Sony could use GDDR6X to reach their 512GB/s while consumer less power. 512GB/s is their target back in 2019 Github leak, though they opt to go for lower because of power consumption and save cost. Nowadays memory are dirt cheap, Samsung and Micron is losing money so they are opting to cut price.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Banana

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
I think you guys are trying to spec out a PS6 for the same price as a current PS5. I don't even think there will be a Pro tbh.

OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
New update:

Project named Trinity: APU features 30 WGP and 18000MTs
Workgroup Processors: GCN grouped the shader hardware into "compute units" (CUs) which contained scalar ALUs and vector ALUs, LDS and memory access. One CU contains 4 SIMD16s which share one path to memory.RDNA introduced the "workgroup processor" ("WGP"). The WGP replaces the compute unit as the basic unit of shader computation hardware/computing. One WGP encompasses 2 CUs. This allows significantly more compute power and memory bandwidth to be directed at a single workgroup. In RDNA, 1 CU is one half of a WGP.
So 60 CUs with upto 8 blank SIMD64 blocks per CU?

Also GDDR6/GDDR6X memory currently perform at 18000 MTs. So it's either of those. My thought is that they gonna go with GDDR6X for power consumption at higher bandwidth.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom