PS5 topping the Best Sellers lists on Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon and GameStop, meanwhile Xbox sales are imploding

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Just look at the top sellers in consoles, the only thing xbox sells in significant numbers are controllers (probably mostly to PC users, or xbox users who want to buy stuff and they already have the refrigerator).

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Just look at the top sellers in consoles, the only thing xbox sells in significant numbers are controllers (probably mostly to PC users, or xbox users who want to buy stuff and they already have the refrigerator).
Xbox controllers are also built extremely poorly and need replacement often. See the “Elite” controller that dies just past the 90-day warranty that so many Xbots replace happily over and over.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Feel sorry for Bethesda.
Why!? People on the studio are free to fled the ship before it sinks.
They can even form a new studio thus MS buys them…again, win win.

Starfield + more series x stock could change their fortunes this year. If it doesn't this generation will be brutal for xbox. Abk obviously could change things.
I keep hearing the same thing over and over, each year is something new that will save Xbox.
Just unplug the life support and let it die in peace.

Who needs series x stock when we have Xbox donuts and Xbox Oreos?

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
I don’t. They were never that good to begin with. (Please don’t ban me, mods).

I don't. Get fucked

Why!? People on the studio are free to fled the ship before it sinks.
They can even form a new studio thus MS buys them…again, win win.

That was more of a tease meaning they shouldn't have let MS buy them. Now they miss out on a large player base on PS5 buying their games.

Too bad for them yeah.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Guys sales don’t matter. It doesn’t matter that it’s a ps2 style beat down generation. It doesn’t matter that games don’t sell. It doesn’t matter that all first party games are in development hell. It doesn’t matter that you lose market share in the only two regions you’re strong in. Nothing matters except acquiring companies and game pass. Being irrelevant to average consumer doesn’t matter.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Guys sales don’t matter. It doesn’t matter that it’s a ps2 style beat down generation. It doesn’t matter that games don’t sell. It doesn’t matter that all first party games are in development hell. It doesn’t matter that you lose market share in the only two regions you’re strong in. Nothing matters except acquiring companies and game pass. Being irrelevant to average consumer doesn’t matter.
Xbox has become the one thing worse than irrelevant to the average consumer.

They’ve become passé. They are now seen as unhip, and considering their main demo was always teen boys, that’s the death knell for the brand.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Xbox has become the one thing worse than irrelevant to the average consumer.

They’ve become passé. They are now seen as unhip, and considering their main demo was always teen boys, that’s the death knell for the brand.
Unsurprising looking at how boring the series X is. The other day I confused a subwoofer with a series x. it's a f*cking console and it looks like a speaker, ffs. Series X is boring and over engineered.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
PS5 has already won this generation, even before they could resolve their supply issues lol. The EOY 2023 numbers will officially seal the deal. My prediction:
  • PS5 = ~58 million
  • XBS = ~26 million
It’s going to be like the PS2 generation, but worse for Xbox.

At least in that generation they had the excuse of launching a year later, rather than starting competitive and then falling off a cliff.

24 Jun 2022
It's amazed me how someone can have the Series X go from 2:1 to being outpaced 2:1 by the Series S without any data to back it up. I'm talking out of my ass with the ratios here, I believe they're actually higher.

That shows a massive change in consumer preference with nothing to back it up, absolutely nothing.

This is just my (albeit limited) personal observation but, I think Welfare's problem is he clings way too closely to Microsoft's own data and doesn't take into account data outside of MS numbers and NPD (or beyond his own biases). Like, maybe they very rarely reference Sony's or Nintendo's numbers for quick comparison references, but his sources are seemingly limited to MS's own data and NPD.

But we all know how obfuscating Microsoft's data is, how it's intentionally misleading in ways or presented so as you can make a read you feel comfortable with, even if it's wrong. He also rarely ever questions Microsoft's data; I've actually questioned some of Ampere's data a couple of times despite using them as sources when looking into figuring out Xbox sales numbers. And I never limited it to just Ampere; more recently throwing IDG's numbers into things, alongside Microsoft's, Sony's, Nintendo's, NPDs, verified leaks (like the NPD one; too bad it sounds like they won't leak further), Axios, Famitsu, Media Create even crawling back into crates for older data to compare with newer data.

And something really important IMO, is needing to make logical concessions so otherwise conflicting data works. That's something I noticed when looking at Ampere's latest report and the IDG numbers Brad Smith used in his presentation to the EC: there was a contradiction. So, had to find a way to make them work, otherwise if I said discarded Ampere altogether in that case, welp might as well do that going forward. You can't selectively choose when a source is worth using otherwise that's not a reliable source.

Nah, I think in Normieville that ship sailed awhile ago. I think starfield will cater to people who already have an Xbox at this point and people who plan to play it on pc. Last years no show and Ps5s actually being available, tied with a very lucky marketing deal of hog warts being a nextgen only (for now) game sealed this generation imo. It’s like I’ve been saying, Xbox is so irrelevant they may end up diminishing cod by being associated with Xbox.

Yeah. MS missed their chance to capitalize during the mid 2021 - mid/late 2022 period. Not only should Starfield have hit the 11/11/22 date, but Hellblade II should've been ready by early 2022 at latest. Avowed should have been released during that 2021/2022 period. And this is on top of FH5, Flight Sim etc. releasing as they did, and Halo Infinite not turning out to be a wet fart.

I think if MS accomplished that, they would be in a better position right now especially in US & UK. Instead it feels like everything is hinging on Starfield being a surefire hit just to keep Xbox relevant, and them getting ABK to inject some long-term hope back into the brand. These feel like last resorts and for MS's sake they better hope Starfield is a revitalization of their brand perception in the marquee AAA space, and better pray they secure ABK (regardless of concessions) because if either of these things don't go off exquisitely, I don't think Xbox is going to recover.

If ABK deal falls down, xbox in it current form will be gone. I don't know what Microsoft will do with it, but it certainly won't be what it is now.

I think they would still keep the Xbox hardware around but transition it into PC-based hardware as a NUC-style mini PC, and allow it to run full-fat Windows. New Xboxes would be priced higher (more like NUC mini PC systems) to accommodate.

They would bring all 1P content to all relevant devices Day 1, and probably start with porting Xbox exclusives to other systems like PS5 and Switch. They would still have some Windows exclusives like another Flight Sim or Age of Empires 5, so in a way new Xboxes would still have "exclusives", but those would eventually get ported to consoles that can run them, too. I think you'd also see MS bring select games to Android and iOS, such as Pentiment.

They'd probably move Xbox hardware into the Surface team, split Game Pass and xCloud out into a new division for entertainment services, and keep the devs & pubs under Microsoft Gaming.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
PS5 has already won this generation, even before they could resolve their supply issues lol. The EOY 2023 numbers will officially seal the deal. My prediction:
  • PS5 = ~58 million
  • XBS = ~26 million
Let's say for a minute that their studios were to ship something notable (beyond the Youtubers fake hype machine)... and they were to do it a couple of times. I think the sales could pick up.

I still think the PS5 will outsell the xbox quite significantly, but it's always possible to turn things around to some degree.

If things keep going that way tho, there is no amount of ABK games that will save their console business, the sales did fall A LOT lately and believing in the redemption arc is harder with every passing month. At some point you turn into a TG-16, Dreamcast or even the Sega Master System, your console is just the one that the kid who's parents saw the xbox on discount and they decided that the xbox would be good enough.

Reactions: Deleted member 417