PS5 topping the Best Sellers lists on Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon and GameStop, meanwhile Xbox sales are imploding

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PS5 has already won this generation, even before they could resolve their supply issues lol. The EOY 2023 numbers will officially seal the deal. My prediction:
  • PS5 = ~58 million
  • XBS = ~26 million

Seems about right to me....

I must have missed this thread on Thursday, was a busy few days for me.

I'm very curious to see March NPD and then Sony's last quarterly report.... Loads of stuff on the business / financial side, including the ABK stuff due in the next 2-3 months.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Let's say for a minute that their studios were to ship something notable (beyond the Youtubers fake hype machine)... and they were to do it a couple of times. I think the sales could pick up.

I still think the PS5 will outsell the xbox quite significantly, but it's always possible to turn things around to some degree.

If things keep going that way tho, there is no amount of ABK games that will save their console business, the sales did fall A LOT lately and believing in the redemption arc is harder with every passing month. At some point you turn into a TG-16, Dreamcast or even the Sega Master System, your console is just the one that the kid who's parents saw the xbox on discount and they decided that the xbox would be good enough.
It may pick up, but if they do it just 2-3 times this generation, gamers are very likely to sell their Xbox down the road and get a PS5, creating little to no impact on the life-time sales split.

I'm saying this because single-console owners would be giving up playing the next The Last of Us, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Wolverine, Final Fantasy, God of War, etc.

Those are well-known IPs and proven games. More importantly, they are too big to ignore for a gamer.

Most single-console-owners wouldn't choose a game like Redfall, Starfield, Fable, or Hellblade 2 over the ones I mentioned above. Sooner or later, they will exchange their Xbox for a PS5 to play those.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Europe stock is looking really good.

Rarely would you see amazon stay in stock in mainland europe, and now germany, spain and france all have had ps5 stock on amazon for days.

I feel like xbox saleswise could do worse then last gen.

The millions of xbox one consoles they sold last gen, alot of those those users may have even transitioned over to ps4 mid gen or towaards the end of the gen. Just imagine buying an xbox one and having nothing notable other then haloforzagears and then watching games like bloodborne, horizon, gow 2018 and spiderman come out for ps4. They must have lost alot of people.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Most single-console-owners wouldn't choose a game like Redfall, Starfield, Fable, or Hellblade 2 over the ones I mentioned above. Sooner or later, they will exchange their Xbox for a PS5 to play those.
I would tend to agree, but the MS marketing machine can do wonders. Just look at what happened to Halo Infinite, it held them above water.... and this is not on merit.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Series X is £392 on Amazon - how long have they been discounting it?! Must be desperate to get them out of warehouses, especially with the loss they make on each unit.
Yeah the losses must be huge. Forza bundles are becoming quite common now to offset the hardware losses without actually announcing a price increase.

They could have probably announced a price increase and not get as much backlash, if Phil didn't start thumping his chest out and kept his mouth shut about not increasing prices last year.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Yeah the losses must be huge. Forza bundles are becoming quite common now to offset the hardware losses without actually announcing a price increase.

They could have probably announced a price increase and not get as much backlash, if Phil didn't start thumping his chest out and kept his mouth shut about not increasing prices last year.
"I made a huge mistake" - Phillip

• haha
Reactions: adamsapple

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Series X is £392 on Amazon - how long have they been discounting it?! Must be desperate to get them out of warehouses, especially with the loss they make on each unit.

That's a used unit being sold by amazon warehouse, not a new boxed console.

My goodness the replies .... y'all not even pretending to be unbiased anymore.. :ROFLMAO:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

Yeah seen lots of Forza bundles including the dlc for basically peanuts.

As you say for the time being they have to continue to eat the loses to satisfy their PR.
Two words.

Fire sale.

I don’t think Xbox has much of a future.
Seems like Amazon has a lot of these units on sale, and it's interesting it takes you straight to those used units by default.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah seen lots of Forza bundles including the dlc for basically peanuts.

As you say for the time being they have to continue to eat the loses to satisfy their PR.

Seems like Amazon has a lot of these units on sale, and it's interesting it takes you straight to those used units by default.
A flood of used systems less than three years into a generation is kind of a disaster, especially combined with sales falling off a cliff.

Give it a moment to consider the ramifications. Very few new consoles being sold+plenty of already-sold consoles being sold off by their owners+competitor stomping you in sales=not good.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
A flood of used systems less than three years into a generation is kind of a disaster, especially combined with sales falling off a cliff.

Give it a moment to consider the ramifications. Very few new consoles being sold+plenty of already-sold consoles being sold off by their owners+competitor stomping you in sales=not good.
Yeah if you look online there are a lot of Xbox owners upset about the lack of exclusive content, not to mention Halo turning out to be a total flop. Some of those will have traded in their consoles.

I don't expect Forza to make a splash outside of existing fans of the series, and Redfall looks like GamePass fodder so a lot will rest on Starfield in September to stop this trend.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah if you look online there are a lot of Xbox owners upset about the lack of exclusive content, not to mention Halo turning out to be a total flop. Some of those will have traded in their consoles.

I don't expect Forza to make a splash outside of existing fans of the series, and Redfall looks like GamePass fodder so a lot will rest on Starfield in September to stop this trend.
Going all of 2022 without a single high-profile exclusive may have been the coup de grace for the Series.

They have excelled at not giving anyone but the staunchest fanboys any reason to go XBox over PlayStation.