PS5’s four-month reign as the UK’s No.1 console ended

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
PS5 sales slowing down doesn't mean it's getting outsold or losing. Based off observations of the last two months? Sales drop > 70% alone in the US from March to April. We see the decline in the UK the last two months, Spain same thing, Japan slow declines.

Unfortunately the industry has become cagey with sales, but based off what I've seen, sales sorta cratered a bit the last two months.

Sony of course is sleeping at the wheel. Can't even be arsed to make Special Edition PS5's for FF 16 across Japan and Europe to reignite the sales and get some double dipping.

I'm curious to see how they'll achieve 25 million.
That's expected. Pent up demand will eventually stabilize, it's not realistic to have massive year on year or month on month increases forever.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
True to an extent but I guess the pent up demand has been met already then?

Doubtful, it's just not to the forefront of peoples minds.... the core activities of the masses change while the sun is out.

Either way, we would need much more than one month to compare to past years / cycle data. Just in a general sense.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People already acting silly in here

The switch is basically having its final fireworks showing for a good minute.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
PS5 sales slowing down doesn't mean it's getting outsold or losing. Based off observations of the last two months? Sales drop > 70% alone in the US from March to April. We see the decline in the UK the last two months, Spain same thing, Japan slow declines.

Unfortunately the industry has become cagey with sales, but based off what I've seen, sales sorta cratered a bit the last two months.

Sony of course is sleeping at the wheel. Can't even be arsed to make Special Edition PS5's for FF 16 across Japan and Europe to reignite the sales and get some double dipping.

I'm curious to see how they'll achieve 25 million.
I agree with you. Consumers aren't dumb, they're waiting on heavy hitters to play. If Sony doesn't make a special edition spiderman console then they are truly lost at the wheel and will not hit the 25 million target

Reactions: Danja

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Doubtful, it's just not to the forefront of peoples minds.... the core activities of the masses change while the sun is out.

Either way, we would need much more than one month to compare to past years / cycle data. Just in a general sense.
My comment was based off April and May but okay! Let's see what happens next month with FF. Again no special edition FF 16 PS5 is beyond idiotic. Instead they made special edition DualSense exclusive to Japan too... Again idiots

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I agree with you. Consumers aren't dumb, they're waiting on heavy hitters to play. If Sony doesn't make a special edition spiderman console then they are truly lost at the wheel and will not hit the 25 million target
They make the most customizable Playstation ever and then do nothing with it. I remember some marketing guy saying they plan to be creative with customization after the reveal. I'm assuming they also fired him like they did majority of their marketing team.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
My comment was based off April and May but okay! Let's see what happens next month with FF. Again no special edition FF 16 PS5 is beyond idiotic. Instead they made special edition DualSense exclusive to Japan too... Again idiots

I agree with you on the stupidity of the PS strategy or lack there of though.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
PC ports do long term damage that is pretty hard to measure. It makes the PlayStation a lot less unique and once PC figures out better optimization and form factors it eats PlayStation lunch as soon at it stumbles.

We've seen with the Vita and WiiU that every brand is susceptible to releasing a dud, PlayStation operates under the assumption they'll never miss again and take everything for granted.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Nah I think FF16 will be massive everywhere. And still a lot of demand for PS5 in the UK and Europe.
The thing is I think everyone who wants FF16 already bought a ps5. But a lot of people who are buying switches now are doing so because the social media presence of totk is massive. I don't see the same presence with FF16.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The thing is I think everyone who wants FF16 already bought a ps5. But a lot of people who are buying switches now are doing so because the social media presence of totk is massive. I don't see the same presence with FF16.
That makes no sense. It's the biggest PS5 only game so far.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I'm confused he must be meaning worldwide right, cuz how else did switch get number 1 if it is outselling switch and Xbox combined in UK.
I'm assuming he means for the previous months of this year. I think worldwide switch has got number 1 locked in most regions in may.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Idk who started the comparison but i agree with you, in no way shape or form is FF16 going to be the one to dethrone Zelda, Zelda is absolutely massive. I see Zelda holding up until at least the summer is over and kids are back in school.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
PS5 beats Switch in June easily, what are you guys smoking? SF6, Diablo IV and FFXVI.

If Spider-man 2 releases in November is might not lose a single month to the Switch anymore unless there is some unannounced big game for Nintendo.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That makes no sense. It's the biggest PS5 only game so far.
I just don't see the social media presence bro. TotK is absolutely crushing it on youtube, tiktok, twitch, etc. And I gobble up any ff16 news and the viewcounts are extremely low comparatively. Maybe FF16 gets a big swell of popularity once the demo gets out or the game releases but given the current trend I think Zelda is dwarfing FF16. Like 20mil sold vs 10mil type numbers

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
PS5 beats Switch in June easily, what are you guys smoking? SF6, Diablo IV and FFXVI.

If Spider-man 2 releases in November is might not lose a single month to the Switch anymore unless there is some unannounced big game for Nintendo.
None of those games besides FF is PS5 exclusive, so it goes back to whether you think first month of FF will beat second month of Zelda to push hardware. I'm curious to how the legs will be just because Zelda sold so much in such a short time, maybe everyone who wanted it will already have it

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

I agree with you on the stupidity of the PS strategy or lack there of though.

I'm not saying PS5 isn't selling well..I'm just saying sales have slowed down. But either way, I hope they have stuff planned outside of Spiderman to push it this year

I assume they will make a huge fuss about COD marketing seeing it will be the last and they have Assassin's Creed marketing.

They are missing the mark by not doing special edition PS5 for Street Fighter as well..

I wish them well and I want to see them get that 25 million sold, but I'm just not seeing the momentum. And I'm sure the never anticipated the showcase to have the opposite effect of building momentum.

But lets see if anything will come out of Summer Fest.