PS5's melting USB connectors at EVO 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
So are xbox and PC usb made of special material that wouldn't melt?

Reactions: Puff

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
A lot of the usual suspects spreading fud about this on Twitter, they are so desperate to find bad news about ps5.. Also why the fuck they dont use the front ports? Nah its the same xbox desperates as usual

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

F204Y5KbsAAbjgY

Basically being on all day and the ports being right by the exhaust vent is causing them to heat up like a motherfucker lol

I call this 100% bullshit.

PS5 uses a standard USB connector like any other device so if it melts tons of other devices should do it too.

Regarding temperatures PS5 does not achive too high temperatures compared to a lot of other devices, and even less to melt stuff. And this tweet is the first and only case I ever heard, not only in EVO or for PS5, but ever for any device.

This tweet sounds like anti-Sony hate lies and FUD to me. Specially when he also mentions 3 issues that nobody else ever mentioned.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I call this 100% bullshit.

PS5 uses a standard USB connector like any other device so if it melts tons of other devices should do it too. Regarding temperatures PS5 does not achive too high temperatures, and even less to melt stuff.
Obvious bullshit is obvious. Is fucking sad at this point for this bots.

@Remij ps5 exhaust is on the sides not on the back

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
@TubzGaming, you have been watching the event all weekend, any issues to report on connector-gate?
I have been following the whole event and asked a couple groups of people competing there in multiple games and reaching pretty far (around a dozen people, including the top 4 in DB FighterZ).

They said that didn't find any broken console or display and that the organization is way better than in the previous editions and that there aren't even cues to play because there are a gazillion game stations.

So the Twitter user who is posting all these lies probably didn't even went to EVO.

No, it isn't... it exhausts out the back... the rest is intake...
The posted tweets very likely are full of bullshit. Let's see:
  • That Twitter user is the first ever to claim PS5 melts USB connectors, something that is impossible because the PS5 temperatures aren't high enough to melt plastic and because PS5 temperatures are lower than many other devices that never melted USBs connectors including thousands of EVO atendees. With over 40M consoles sold if that issue would exist someone else would have complained publicly. He's lying.
  • He claims the Sony InZone displays at EVO have supposed issues that nobody else ever mentioned, including thousands of EVO atendees. He's pretty likely lying.
  • He claims having long cues, something denied by several players who are at EVO. He's lying and very likely didn't even went to EVO.

• The other one claims PS5 overheats and causes lag. When several people made multiple tests (there are multiple youtube videos) and PS5 doesn't overheat and even if you force to block the ventilation (something that doesn't happen in the EVO setups) the games shut down to protect the console instead of lagging/throtting because the PS5 cooling system and work balance between CPU and GPU doesn't work like in PC. And well, nobody else ever reported it, including thousands of EVO atendees. He's lying or if not, was playing with a shitty controlled that introduces a lot of lag in both PS5 and any other console or PC.
Sounds like lies and FUD from people who have no idea what are they talking about.

Last edited:

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I wondered if the FUD would kick into gear after the recent sales numbers and discounts.

Sadly, some of this is more effective than we think. I still meet people who believe the whole "you can't stand the console vertically" nonsense. My nephew panicked and told me his friend freaked out and said we have to put it on its side immediately so it doesn't leak even long after the liquid metal FUD was debunked.

This stuff takes root in kids especially.

Last edited:
  • sad

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
These events with consoles running literally all day with multiple people constantly plugging in and unplugging USB cables likely isn't representative of your day to day use at home...

Do you know at what temperature plastics melt, you moron?

What temperature melts plastic?

Plastic Material Melt & Mould Temperatures Table
MATERIALMELT TEMPERATURE RANGE (℃)MELT TEMPERATURE RANGE (℉)
ACRYLIC220-250428-482
CAB170-240338-464
HDPE210-270410-518
LDPE180-240356-464

There you go

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
No, it isn't... it exhausts out the back... the rest is intake...
On the sides on the back. It dosnt go through the USB.
Ps5 doesn't produce enough heat to melt any plastic. Shit is nonsense or I'd use to warm my room in the winter

OP
OP
Remij

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
On the sides on the back. It dosnt go through the USB.
Ps5 doesn't produce enough heat to melt any plastic. Shit is nonsense or I'd use to warm my room in the winter
PS5 doesn't OUTPUT enough heat to melt plastic... but it certainly carries a current through it which COULD cause a port to overheat and melt some thin plastic inside the port... The output heat, and constant friction of thousands of controllers plugging in and out increases the potential for that to happen..

• haha

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Do you know it's not just external heat, but power runs through the cables/ports too? Did you know that constant plugging in and out breaks down connections causing potential arcs?

Dipshit, have you ever heard of charging cables melting before?
Then would that not more likely be an issue with the quality of the cable? I mean, it's highly unlikely those cables are drawing enough power to transmit that much heat. And this rather blatantly runs contrary to your "not normal home use" excuse earlier, given that arcing and melting connectors wouldn't require constant use from "multiple people" and would be far more likely to be a widespread issue.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
PS5 doesn't OUTPUT enough heat to melt plastic... but it certainly carries a current through it which COULD cause a port to overheat and melt some thin plastic inside the port..
Rtx 4090 were melting cables turns out was the shitty cables nvidia used.

. The output heat, and constant friction of thousands of controllers plugging in and out increases the potential for that to happen..

So... what makes you think this wouldn't happen with any other device?

I'm watching evo and haven't see any reports or any problems at all. The event is live tho

Status
Not open for further replies.