Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is the best way to do things.

It will force devs to works with PSVR2 or patch their PSVR games to work in PS5.

There is no better results.

If PS5 had no BC we should be way ahead in graphic development for the machine but no we are being held by old generation lol

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I was hoping they would cancel all development honestly.

Not on board the helmet gamer train. Lame as fuck

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
T
That is the best way to do things.

It will force devs to works with PSVR2 or patch their PSVR games to work in PS5.

There is no better results.

If PS5 had no BC we should be way ahead in graphic development for the machine but no we are being held by old generation lol
The fuck? lol

That's a terrible reason not to support BC... and not even sure how you think that logic is adding up.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
T
The fuck? lol

That's a terrible reason not to support BC... and not even sure how you think that logic is adding up.
If you want to be stuck in the past is not my issue.

New platforms should play new games made specifically for it and not games made for past platforms.

BC just helped developers to be more lazy with cross-gen development.

BTW PSVR2 is fixing a big issue with PS5 since launch… it is the only place to have truly exclusive development for PS5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

This just in!!!

It's still ridiculous. These devs need to learn how to make robust pipelines that are hardware agnostic. If Sony is already making their game engines portable then they have to get with the program. The next PS6 (if it's made), etc.. needs to be able to run PS5 games with a software interface - not with low level code that isn't portable.

D

Deleted member 13

New platforms should play new games made specifically for it and not games made for past platforms.

BTW PSVR2 is fixing a big issue with PS5 since launch… it is the only place to have truly exclusive development for PS5.
That's a silly logic there.

Can a RTX 3090 play the original DOOM? Yes. Just because you have new hardware doesn't mean you make an SDK only to run that new hardware and skip the old.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 51

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022

Lol no.

• thisistheway

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
That is fucking shit. You virtualise the camera, the rest is just input mapping. Lame.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's a silly logic there.

Can a RTX 3090 play the original DOOM? Yes. Just because you have new hardware doesn't mean you make an SDK only to run that new hardware and skip the old.
You know we were talking about consoles… not PC.

But if you want my opinion about PC development it works via brute force instead optimizations.

What I meant is if you remove the minimum hardware from development pipeline and makes the developer optimize a game fully to only the too CPU and GPU you will have a game that looks way better than the best looking game available on PC right now.

The moment a SDK is made and optimized just for that last hardware you have a different delivery than a SDK with tons of abstractions layers and overhead to support previous hardwares.

But that is not a game development issue alone… x86 and platform as a whole is like that… you lose silicon and performance just because a x86 CPU have to be compatible to instructions from several decades ago… and new instructions are just bandaids (aka extensions) over the original x86 base.

The overhead and flexibility (aka support to legacy techs) that make x86 performance and power consumption way below for example ARM… it is the need to support all generations of PCIe, USBs, etc… the support to support for MMX, SSE1-4, x87, modern x86 processors still support Gate A20 behaviour via emulation from 1980s.

But that flexibility at performance and optimization cost is what make x86 dominant position… that is his big advantage.

But hey… when x86 finally get abandoned we will have an astronomical jump in performance… well you can see example of that already in specialized quantum computers that had zero legacy silicon compatibility.

Quantum CPUs (aka QPUs) can brute force strong passwords in matter of minutes compared to years on actual x86.

Same for actual GPU arch… when nVidia and AMD choose to abandon the legacy silicon parts and do something really new the performance will jump in unbelievable ways.

Another example of that is how GPUs are not profitable anymore for mining Bitcoin… they are slow and generate a too big energy cost to be viable… so and ASIC (a hardware processor specific to determined task… in this case mining) have better performance with minimal power consumption than any top dog GPU in the market.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Different head tracking technique, different controls, different rumble, very different tech in general... it was expected, to make them BC would be difficult and would have tracking issues for the head and the controllers, even if I think it could be possible.

I think that in any case games would need a patch to fix and fine tune all these things. Let's hope Tetris Effect and Wipeout VR get such patches.

Can a RTX 3090 play the original DOOM? Yes.
The comparision doesn't make any sense. A PC GPU doesn't have nothing to do with headset tracking, controllers tracking, haptics, the cables for the headset and internal hardware works, etc.

Pretty likely this is the reason and what the patches have to address, no the CPU and GPU of the console. The GPU and GPU of the consoles are emulated via PS5 BC.

Hey look, Sony believes in generations again!
Sony: "We believe in generations, we'll keep supporting PS4 for several years more after PS5 launch because there's like 100M monthly active users in PS4 that will take several years to migrate to PS5 but we want games to take advantage in PS5 of the unique features it adds like super fast loading, 3D audio or haptic feedback"

Idiots: 'Sony said they won't make crossgen games and that PS5 won't be BC"

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022

Fuck yeah Blood and Truth!! That game is awesome...Astrobot too.
It's crazy how in VR the most trivial game can be awesome, take Fruit ninja I'd never play it on mobile but in VR It is great even some of my VRt resistant friends had a good time with it.

WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer
Content Creator
27 Jun 2022
youtube.com
It's been revealed by the very leaker of the PSVR2's specs that many devs are porting OG PSVR games to the PSVR2 as we speak.

2nd, fellow panel member and game developer @DeezyDevs gave a fantastic thread addressing a lot of the... errr.. "concern" surrounding this terrible news. Worth every read. Link:

👊🏼❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AniWeeb
D

Deleted member 13

What I meant is if you remove the minimum hardware from development pipeline and makes the developer optimize a game fully to only the too CPU and GPU you will have a game that looks way better than the best looking game available on PC right now.
No you don't. Name a game on console that's better looking (and runs faster) than any PC game with a high-end GPU solely based off of strictly complex graphics features (i.e. lighting, shadows, textures, etc..) that cost ms of GPU time and gives an overall faster frames/sec at the same resolution?

The consoles optimization is literally transparent based off of how much they pair back graphics features and resolution. Nearly every console game MUST render at a lower resolution and use supersampling upscaling to get good FPS. All of them use lower texture filtering to free up bandwidth in the texture pipeline further degrading the looks. Most use more aggressive LOD geometry in a scene, less shadow resolution, simple ambient occlusion technique (compared to the more accurate ones) etc.. etc.. There isn't a single instance that a console game equivalent is better than a high-end GPU on a PC with the same game. Even the PS ports run and look better than the PS4/PS5 equivalents.

The moment a SDK is made and optimized just for that last hardware you have a different delivery than a SDK with tons of abstractions layers and overhead to support previous hardwares.
Yes, you have SDKs with tons of abstraction layers (DX) but some of them are not (i.e. Vulkan API). It's way way better to have a more powerful console GPU that can brute force typical graphics features and maintain backward/forward compatibility than to have custom SDK where the most gains in performance are when rendering at a lower resolution (that's the biggest optimization) anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • they're_right_you_know

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No you don't. Name a game on console that's better looking (and runs faster) than any PC game with a high-end GPU solely based off of strictly complex graphics features (i.e. lighting, shadows, textures, etc..) that cost ms of GPU time and gives an overall faster frames/sec at the same resolution?

The consoles optimization is literally transparent based off of how much they pair back graphics features and resolution. Nearly every console game MUST render at a lower resolution and use supersampling upscaling to get good FPS. All of them use lower texture filtering to free up bandwidth in the texture pipeline further degrading the looks. Most use more aggressive LOD geometry in a scene, less shadow resolution, simple ambient occlusion technique (compared to the more accurate ones) etc.. etc.. There isn't a single instance that a console game equivalent is better than a high-end GPU on a PC with the same game. Even the PS ports run and look better than the PS4/PS5 equivalents.

Yes, you have SDKs with tons of abstraction layers (DX) but some of them are not (i.e. Vulkan API). It's way way better to have a more powerful console GPU that can brute force typical graphics features and maintain backward/forward compatibility than to have custom SDK where the most gains in performance are when rendering at a lower resolution (that's the biggest optimization) anyway.
Because consoles doesn’t have high-end GPU.
If you have a RTX 3090 in a console with specialized API it should be a better comparison.

Even so the best path for performance is a specialized hardware (CPU and GPU) made specifically to run games with it own low level API.

Reactions: Umar
D

Deleted member 13

Because consoles doesn’t have high-end GPU.
If you have a RTX 3090 in a console with specialized API it should be a better comparison.

Even so the best path for performance is a specialized hardware (CPU and GPU) made specifically to run games with it own low level API.
Those are days of old. Nowadays games cost too much money to produce to continue making hardcoded to the metal code and having to be forced to rewrite algorithms for each new generation.

The consoles just need better hardware. Period.