Psvr 1 games not compatible with psvr2

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Those are days of old. Nowadays games cost too much money to produce to continue making hardcoded to the metal code and having to be forced to rewrite algorithms for each new generation.

The consoles just need better hardware. Period.
Except better hardware doesn’t move like days of old so consoles needs better optimization and indeed more “code to metal”.

Do you know why nVidia and AMD releases are so sparse and the increase in performance is lacking? Because silicon nodes doesn’t provide the performance jumps like days of old.

We are having a new generation GPU each two or more years when the tech allowed 40-50% increase in performance per year in the past.

We are reaching a limit in the actual silicon tech and that better hardware will become more and more rare.

Hardware specific software optimization will playa bigger role in the future than hardware advances itself that will stagnate until they find a solution to actual silicon process that can take decades.

Talking about future GPU are most used to heavy math calc that is the specialization of the super expensive quantum processor… when the quantum processor become affordable for end consumer and software become optimized enough then GPUs will probably incorporate a QPU and really a jump in processing power for maths.

Last edited:

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
The consoles just need better hardware

Which could be coded to the metal to have even better performance....

Sure, abstraction layers, general purpose APIs and multiplatform engines are a great and cheap way for third parties to make ports of their games for multiple platforms, but devs tailoring their games to a single set of (custom) hardware and architecture can squeeze a lot more out of it.

Reactions: Umar
D

Deleted member 13

Except better hardware doesn’t move like days of old so consoles needs better optimization and indeed more “code to metal”.

Do you know why nVidia and AMD releases are so sparse and the increase in performance is lacking? Because silicon nodes doesn’t provide the performance jumps like days of old.

We are having a new generation GPU each two or more years when the tech allowed 40-50% increase in performance per year in the past.

We are reaching a limit in the actual silicon tech and that better hardware will become more and more rare.

Hardware specific software optimization will playa bigger role in the future than hardware advances itself that will stagnate until they find a solution to actual silicon process that can take decades.

Talking about future GPU are most used to heavy math calc that is the specialization of the super expensive quantum processor… when the quantum processor become affordable for end consumer and software become optimized enough then GPUs will probably incorporate a QPU and really a jump in processing power for maths.
You are stuck in the stone ages my friend.

The most optimization you can get from a console game is to lower the resolution. No code-to-the-metal will match it's performance benefit. You are looking at small fractions of performance gains from shader optimization. Everything else is just turning on/off basic rendering features that eat up bandwidth (i.e. texture filtering at 4x as opposed to 16x for example).

D

Deleted member 13

Which could be coded to the metal to have even better performance....

Sure, abstraction layers, general purpose APIs and multiplatform engines are a great and cheap way for third parties to make ports of their games for multiple platforms, but devs tailoring their games to a single set of (custom) hardware and architecture can squeeze a lot more out of it.
Read my response to @ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
lol
You are stuck in the stone ages my friend.

The most optimization you can get from a console game is to lower the resolution. No code-to-the-metal will match it's performance benefit. You are looking at small fractions of performance gains from shader optimization. Everything else is just turning on/off basic rendering features that eat up bandwidth (i.e. texture filtering at 4x as opposed to 16x for example).
no the opposite… you are… things are changing… I’m talking about future not now.

Better and better hardware every year was a thing of the past.

Reactions: TygerTrip

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And Still i havent seen a game that looks as good as hfw on that obsolete ps5
PC users will never agree but base console hardware (and PC minimum specs) hold back PC game development.
They say I can run at 300fps, 4k, etc but the game is the same that was made for the base console... nothing that PC can't do is used in PC games that shows how the future will be.

I think the last PC release to really break that was Crysis in 2007... it was a PC game using tech ahead of the actual consoles and exploring the actual high-end hardware of PC... and that shows even today where it looks still good for a 2007 game.

• they're_right_you_know

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
PC users will never agree but base console hardware (and PC minimum specs) hold back PC game development.
They say I can run at 300fps, 4k, etc but the game is the same that was made for the base console... nothing that PC can't do is used in PC games that shows how the future will be.

I think the last PC release to really break that was Crysis in 2007... it was a PC game using tech ahead of the actual consoles and exploring the actual high-end hardware of PC... and that shows even today where it looks still good for a 2007 gamw

I think the last PC release to really break that was Crysis in 2007... it was a PC game using tech ahead of the actual consoles and exploring the actual high-end hardware of PC... and that shows even today where it looks still good for a 2007 game.
whats hold back pc gaming its the price of the hardware,nobody will make a game exclusive to the rtx 4090,you will get the same game with some bell and whistles and more framerate,yo wont get a big pc exclusive as consoles get every year

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
whats hold back pc gaming its the price of the hardware,nobody will make a game exclusive to the rtx 4090,you will get the same game with some bell and whistles and more framerate,yo wont get a big pc exclusive as consoles get every year
That’s what he’s saying. There is no investment for niche corners of the market. It’s all about creating products to cater for the biggest sector.

Indeed if still accurate, the most common PC spec is below the new GEN consoles so it begs to reason Consoles lift the tech target. Assuming the game is actually designed for it and not last gen, big if.

D

Deleted member 13

Games with portable graphics engines don't need low level access to hardware in order to run features that are extremely complex. The name of the game since last gen is 'bandwidth'.

The fact that RT features can be tailored to different hardware specs should make you guys forget about touting low level access. The PS5/XSX 1st party games still aren't doing anything that a PC can't do. In fact, it's the opposite. Highend hardware with enough bandwidth will run complex algorithms that can't run on a console (i.e. 16x Anisotropic filtering, or RT shadows/GI for example).

Also we need to move away from the old "there still is no better looking game than x,y,z" because you are introducing subjective artistic opinions as a basis for argument instead of technical power. HFW doesn't look better than any other game because it's doing things that a PC or other hardware can't. It's completely 100% based on the artistic appeal that you guys like about the game.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Games with portable graphics engines don't need low level access to hardware in order to run features that are extremely complex. The name of the game since last gen is 'bandwidth'.

The fact that RT features can be tailored to different hardware specs should make you guys forget about touting low level access. The PS5/XSX 1st party games still aren't doing anything that a PC can't do. In fact, it's the opposite. Highend hardware with enough bandwidth will run complex algorithms that can't run on a console (i.e. 16x Anisotropic filtering, or RT shadows/GI for example).

Also we need to move away from the old "there still is no better looking game than x,y,z" because you are introducing subjective artistic opinions as a basis for argument instead of technical power. HFW doesn't look better than any other game because it's doing things that a PC or other hardware can't. It's completely 100% based on the artistic appeal that you guys like about the game.
Subjective only gets you so far, quality is usually a very objective measure. Otherwise there would be no difference between a toddlers finger painting and the Mona Lisa. Just a canvas with paint on top.

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022

I am primarily a PC user, and I agree with you (though maybe I am not the type you meant, since I love my PS5 also). The golden age of PC, as a unique platform most noted for groundbreaking and innovative games, did indeed end with Crysis. I think it is fair to say that PC VR is where PC was in the 90s and 2000s, though. For now.

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022
Its not just that (though related). No one will make a AAA PC exclusive game anymore because AAA games have became so expensive to make. The days of an independent studio putting out a Doom or Quake (something that blows everything on the consoles away) are long gone. Hell, we only got Half-Life Alyx because Valve is a private company with a vested interest in PC and VR. I hope i am wrong and Valve (or anyone) makes a (non-VR) PC exclusive that makes consoles look pitiful. Im not going to hold my breath, though.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I am primarily a PC user, and I agree with you (though maybe I am not the type you meant, since I love my PS5 also). The golden age of PC, as a unique platform most noted for groundbreaking and innovative games, did indeed end with Crysis. I think it is fair to say that PC VR is where PC was in the 90s and 2000s, though. For now.

An absolute fact, that is why I love exclusives....

Back when I was on PC, the games were just so so unique to the platform... Ground Control, Homeworld, Jagged Alliance...even the shooters... Operation Flashpoint.

Even C&C is gone and why? EA bought Westwood and brought them to console instead of respecting what they were meant to be.

I love that Nintendo is still so unique and I wish Sony would wake up and realize that they could be like an adult version / more mature version of Nintendo.
In fact with MSFT buying almost everything, their best course of action is to have more real exclusives that you cant get anywhere else and use TV and Film as the promotion... not ports.

D

Deleted member 13

Its not just that (though related). No one will make a AAA PC exclusive game anymore because AAA games have became so expensive to make. The days of an independent studio putting out a Doom or Quake (something that blows everything on the consoles away) are long gone. Hell, we only got Half-Life Alyx because Valve is a private company with a vested interest in PC and VR. I hope i am wrong and Valve (or anyone) makes a (non-VR) PC exclusive that makes consoles look pitiful. Im not going to hold my breath, though.
I don't believe that there would be much difference with a game today being exclusive to the PC being some huge leap like people think. All you have to do is look at RT. That alone would eat up most of the bandwidth from high-end GPUs. There really is nothing left except path-tracing and we aren't there yet like the Nvidia Car demo this year as a game. Need more power.