PSVR2 | Review Thread

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It's not really laziness, it's the fact that the people in charge at game studios are 50+ years old and were trained in the 90s and 00s when multithreaded performance was still a novelty. It takes a long time to change the inertia of industry. Also, sometimes computing on a single thread is just the bottleneck due to the costs associated with certain game logic. It's not always possible to optimally fill every clock cycle across all your cores with meaningful work.
Laziness in the sense of being unwilling to further their own knowledge to use new techniques.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's not really laziness, it's the fact that the people in charge at game studios are 50+ years old and were trained in the 90s and 00s when multithreaded performance was still a novelty. It takes a long time to change the inertia of industry. Also, sometimes computing on a single thread is just the bottleneck due to the costs associated with certain game logic. It's not always possible to optimally fill every clock cycle across all your cores with meaningful work.
Do you think people in their 50s are stupid? Lol.

Side note: young up and coming programmers aren’t multi thread legends out of the gate.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Side note: young up and coming programmers aren’t multi thread legends out of the gate.
No, but old habits are hard to break. Sure to be competitive with the industry you have to keep up with the times, but are you gonna pitch a complete rewrite of a game engine that your team has worked on for 10 years+ retrain the entire staff, or just let it be slightly less efficient at multithreading?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, but old habits are hard to break. Sure to be competitive with the industry you have to keep up with the times, but are you gonna pitch a complete rewrite of a game engine that your team has worked on for 10 years+ retrain the entire staff, or just let it be slightly less efficient at multithreading?
This sounds like a made up scenario. I could be wrong but do you really understand what good engineers are like? I also don’t think game devs tend to fall into the “lazy” category as it’s one of the toughest types of software to do well.

Also from what I understand today’s “education” for computer science has gotten worse than it was 10-20 years ago, teaching students things like Python or JavaScript when starting out. If you want “lazy” or bad programmers that’s a great way to do it.

Point is don’t assume that tech issues are down to laziness or “old” programmers.

Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Since I understand logic programming multithreaded is a thing… I started in 1999 but for sure it come since 1970, 1980, etc.

While there is no multi core processor in consumer computer until late… Server computers always had 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc sockets.

Multi thread is not a new paradigm.
I should say old programmers do better with multithreaded code due experience than youngsters.

Last edited:
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This sounds like a made up scenario. I could be wrong but do you really understand what good engineers are like? I also don’t think game devs tend to fall into the “lazy” category as it’s one of the toughest types of software to do well.

Also from what I understand today’s “education” for computer science has gotten worse than it was 10-20 years ago, teaching students things like Python or JavaScript when starting out. If you want “lazy” or bad programmers that’s a great way to do it.

Point is don’t assume that tech issues are down to laziness or “old” programmers.
I didn't say they were lazy lol
Since I understand logic programming multithreaded is a thing… I started in 1999 but for sure it come since 1970, 1980, etc.

While there is no multi core processor in consumer computer until late… Server computers always had 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc sockets.

Multi thread is not a new paradigm.
I should say old programmers do better with multithreaded code due experience than youngsters.
Multiple sockets in consumer/gaming context though? Nah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Bass

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

When I studied coding >20 years ago we learned coding 'to the metal with assembler, C and so on, including multithreading. Back then we studied pure programming, we didn't have stuff like Unreal Engine or Unity and the universities or schools didn't teach -at least here in Spain- gamedev specific stuff. The hardware had insane limitations so the code had to be super optimized.

Today students learn mostly UE, Unity and related stuff. They don't have to make most of their own engines, drivers, tools or libraries because someone else already did it and is available. The hardware is super powerful so the optimization required is almost nothing compared to when a game had to be fit in 64KB (or less in some cases). So the younger coders typically are way worse at optimizing and specially everything related to low level stuff than the senior coders.

And well, they are way less experienced, skilled and have way less knowledge in general. But they have more passion, energy and willing to crunch. And have the senior and lead devs to mentor, teach and guide them.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Sony’s done it again. This product like the Dualsense and PS5 is incredible. They are truly on a role!
It's all about the quality, sony just has it in spades.

Hope you enjoy your set, looking forward to what you think of it when you have played a few games on it.

WE WANT FEEDBACK 😍

Reactions: One eyed jacks

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
When I studied coding >20 years ago we learned coding 'to the metal with assembler, C and so on, including multithreading. Back then we studied pure programming, we didn't have stuff like Unreal Engine or Unity and the universities or schools didn't teach -at least here in Spain- gamedev specific stuff. The hardware had insane limitations so the code had to be super optimized.

Today students learn mostly UE, Unity and related stuff. They don't have to make most of their own engines, drivers, tools or libraries because someone else already did it and is available. The hardware is super powerful so the optimization required is almost nothing compared to when a game had to be fit in 64KB (or less in some cases). So the younger coders typically are way worse at optimizing and specially everything related to low level stuff than the senior coders.

And well, they are way less experienced, skilled and have way less knowledge in general. But they have more passion, energy and willing to crunch. And have the senior and lead devs to mentor, teach and guide them.
I agree with everything you're saying except the bolded part. That is just not a blanket statement you can attribute to age (unless you're just saying young people have more energy in general, which I would agree with big picture). I can easily, easily work most younger people under the table so to speak. But I'm just built differently and always have been, and I've had other people tell me the same thing. I've had work situations where I was getting into 40 hours by Wednesday. It just is what it is, and my experience with younger programmers is they think they know everything when that is actually far from the truth.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well, no one is learning assembly any more, that's for sure. Even C++ has a lot of abstraction now.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I agree with everything you're saying except the bolded part. That is just not a blanket statement you can attribute to age (unless you're just saying young people have more energy in general, which I would agree with big picture). I can easily, easily work most younger people under the table so to speak. But I'm just built differently and always have been, and I've had other people tell me the same thing. I've had work situations where I was getting into 40 hours by Wednesday. It just is what it is, and my experience with younger programmers is they think they know everything when that is actually far from the truth.

We're in an age were full stack developers exist. People that need to know multiple and sometimes very different programming languages, and need to know not only backend but frontend.

A full stack developer would be 4 or 5 roles, at least, 20 years ago.

It's unfair to say "younger people" when they are asked to do much more and know way more. And game development doesn't even pay that well.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
It's all about the quality, sony just has it in spades.

Hope you enjoy your set, looking forward to what you think of it when you have played a few games on it.

WE WANT FEEDBACK 😍
You’ll get it alright.. I’m ready to slay Phil Spencer’s card board cutout in VR with my 45

tumblr_piwraxoneT1qi0pl0o3_r1_400.gifv

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Sircaw

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, the bolded part I meant in general, can be applied to any area in game development and I assume most other jobs: generally older people have more working experience, which implies know how, knowledge, wider skillset, to be in more senior positions, etc. but are also a bit tired or burned out of some bullshit as could be to do certain tasks or to crunch. Many times they are skeptical with new promising trends because they saw many new promising trends fail so often are conservative to chase them and prefer to bet on the safe stuff.

Younger people have more passion or energy, and often are more connected to the latest trends, but they lack experience and knowledge so must be guided by experienced people to don't fall in the same mistakes that the experienced people had in the past. Younger folks also think they can change the world and that they are the best but still aren't aware that they don't have a clue and that miss a lot of knowledge and skillset. So often take some risks that sometimes are a good idea and work, but other times fail hard and are a suicide, often if not guided by someone more experienced.

Obviously this is a generalization and there are exceptions for everything.

• they're_right_you_know

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Did you pre-order it? Mine is shipping to me now
It is more about choosing to use the money I was saving in something else :D
It is fine I will buy it in a few months.

BTW Sony didn’t have preorders here… the retail had but it was more like a list and not official preorders like Sony does in US for example… same for PS5.

Reactions: One eyed jacks

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It is more about choosing to use the money I was saving in something else :D
It is fine I will buy it in a few months.

BTW Sony didn’t have preorders here… the retail had but it was more like a list and not official preorders like Sony does in US for example… same for PS5.

Yeah same for Ireland.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
We're in an age were full stack developers exist. People that need to know multiple and sometimes very different programming languages, and need to know not only backend but frontend.

A full stack developer would be 4 or 5 roles, at least, 20 years ago.

It's unfair to say "younger people" when they are asked to do much more and know way more. And game development doesn't even pay that well.
I'm not sure how "Full Stack" developer has to do with age. I've had that role, though now I manage a company's tech platform, but I've worked on backend, frontend, and mobile devices when I need to. And that's native iOS and Android, not any goofy React Native stuff. Also design large scalable infrastructures in AWS.

Again I'm not sure what you mean by "we are in an age where full stack developers exist." Yeah of course ... Like I said, I've done that quite a bit, and that's the area I actually work in. People with experience aren't necessarily doing game dev, or C, or systems programming, or what not. There is such a huge field of things to work on and it cuts across all age ranges. Was just saying the whole ageism thing in tech is silly, because in my experience the older people are actually better. There is a great Donald Knuth quote about that.

I just see a lot of arm chair dev from some folks that seem so insanely off base to me, it just boggles my mind. Not from you, but just in general.