Push Square “ Physical Games Represented Just 4% of Sales for PlayStation Last Quarter”

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sony Interactive Entertainment had a record-breaking second quarter in terms of revenue, pulling in ¥954.1 billion — up 32.38 per cent year-on-year. Of that total, physical games accounts for about ¥35.5 billion, which comes out to roughly four per cent. For comparison's sake, digital sales of full games on PS Store represents 21 per cent of total revenue.

in this record-breaking Q2, physical games is the only sales category that has decreased year-on-year. By that same measure, all other areas saw significant growth.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm sorry but what? In actual sales numbers aren't digital and physical close to 50/50? I know you can buy physical a lot cheaper but surely not by those margins?

Reactions: toadsage44

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah, that doesn't seem accurate.... I think they have framed this in a way that doesn't really reflect the reality.

Did they frame it as physical revenue as a % of all Sony gaming revenue? As in... all revenue including hardware, accessories, MTX and all other sources.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, that doesn't seem accurate.... I think they have framed this in a way that doesn't really reflect the reality.

Did they frame it as physical revenue as a % of all Sony gaming revenue? As in... all revenue including hardware, accessories, MTX and all other sources.
Consider how many digital-only games there are on PlayStation. If you’re looking at a platform ratio, that will pump up the digital side a lot.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Consider how many digital-only games there are on PlayStation. If you’re looking at a platform ratio, that will pump up the digital side a lot.

Exactly and even games like Alan Wake 2 are not getting physical releases.

So they really need to do a much better job at looking at physical sales and try not to sound like anti-ownership / anti-physical propaganda.

Also Push Square gave SM2 an 8, so.....

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Well this works out to like an 80/20 split if you’re just looking at software sales? Seems right to me.
The biggest thing in that report is that it utterly shatters the bullshit narrative that Xbox users have the highest digital ratio, which was a long-running FUD line about bad retail software sales ratios.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm sorry but what? In actual sales numbers aren't digital and physical close to 50/50? I know you can buy physical a lot cheaper but surely not by those margins?
It was 67% for digital excluding digital only titles last quarter.

But the news is not about that… It is about much that account in the whole revenue.

Physical: 4%
Digital: 21%

But remember some key points:

- Digital has more releases (there are the digital only titles) and paid DLCs
- Digital revenue is close to 100% while physical revenues an around 70% of the sold price (retail takes 25-30% of physical)
- Physical has more deals so it is cheaper.

Account that you can see why the revenue part of the division become physical 4% and digital 21%.

Reactions: Box

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
- Digital has more releases (there are the digital only titles) and paid DLCs
They specified full titles only but yeah, I wasn't factoring store cuts or that some big titles were digital only.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I usually buy disc copies when I can, but it's getting harder to find them at retail. The whole indie store layer is pretty dead, GameStop is shrinking, Target selection is limited.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Im sure fortnite and warzone are counted as digital game "purchases"

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
brand new game releases are 50/50, overall game sales are around 70% which makes sense due to the convenience of digital. The title is just clickbait nonsense.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Even if this were accurate. It’s just for Sony and only one quarter. Not the entire industry.

Physical games represent a large part of game sales.

Reactions: Kokoloko

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
brand new game releases are 50/50, overall game sales are around 70% which makes sense due to the convenience of digital. The title is just clickbait nonsense.

That 70% also includes digital only games by the way. There are no physical only games.

Physical media will be here for a long while.