Push Square “ Physical Games Represented Just 4% of Sales for PlayStation Last Quarter”

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Movies, Music CD’s, Vinyl albums are still being sold.

Games are even a more collectors items than those. No reason for physical media to be completely gone. Choice is good.
Just referring to gaming. I know some prefer physical, but it's a declining market. I think the choice will remain next gen, then after that it's gone. It'll be all digital.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Movies, Music CD’s, Vinyl albums are still being sold.

Games are even a more collectors items than those. No reason for physical media to be completely gone. Choice is good.
CDs are disappearing rapidly, Vinyl is a collector market and physical movies are being dropped by most retailers.

• Peachy
Reactions: Lord Mittens

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Just referring to gaming. I know some prefer physical, but it's a declining market. I think the choice will remain next gen, then after that it's gone. It'll be all digital.

The declines aren’t as bad as it seems for the reasons i stated earlier. It’s a healthy market. No reason physical option should go away.

CDs are disappearing rapidly, Vinyl is a collector market and physical movies are being dropped by most retailers.

The point is physical is still around and is selling. In the case of Vinyl records, they came back to the sellers market strong. Bluray movies are also a strong market for collectors.

It’s been said for years physical media will go away. Yet here it is still being sold.

It’s like some of you want it to be discontinued.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think a digital only future is unavoidable. It's just a matter of when. I doubt ps6 will be digital only, instead they'll default to a digital with optional addon like the slim is now. But ps7? Yeah likely gonna have no physical option.

I think platform holders and game publishers will be trying to cut out middleman retailers as much as possible. In the past they couldn't because the internet infrastructure wasn't there. But it's getting there.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
I don;t get this. It's like people want to be locked into a single storefront that dictates everything, including pricing. Not to mention lack of ownership, on consoles at least.

But hey, you don't have to get up to change discs...

Platform holders controlling 100% of the pricing will not be good. The only reason Sony has so many digital sales is to draw you away from physical media. If physical media goes away, there won’t be anymore sales. At least not as much as we see now.

The so called “digital convenience” does not outweigh the benefits of

Ownership
Selling
Trading
Cheaper prices

I love my physical games and movies “taking up space” on my shelf thank you very much.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Platform holders controlling 100% of the pricing will not be good. The only reason Sony has so many digital sales is to draw you away from physical media. If physical media goes away, there won’t be anymore sales. At least not as much as we see now.

The so called “digital convenience” does not outweigh the benefits of

Ownership
Selling
Trading
Cheaper prices

I love my physical games and movies “taking up space” on my shelf thank you very much.
Try living in a country where physical games never go on sale, selection is tiny even at game shops, Amazon is a joke full of third-party scalpers, and fewer and fewer retailers are carrying games, and tell me digital is the Antichrist.

I’ll laugh as I flip you off.

• Peachy

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Try living in a country where physical games never go on sale, selection is tiny even at game shops, Amazon is a joke full of third-party scalpers, and fewer and fewer retailers are carrying games, and tell me digital is the Antichrist.

Don't you live in Canadastan

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Don't you live in Canadastan
Yeah, and game distribution here has always sucked, we get gouged massively on prices, and have more and more retailers going out of business all the time.

Most of the world has no clue how fucked things are here, and honestly always have been.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

Blame that on the country you live and the companies and retailers. Not physical media.

Even with the pricing and limited stock in your country, physical game disc still has advantages.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm sorry but what? In actual sales numbers aren't digital and physical close to 50/50? I know you can buy physical a lot cheaper but surely not by those margins?
They aren't close to 50/50, here you can see the last half and a year:

This quarter PS physical game sales (1st + 3rd party) were 15% of the total physical + digital game sales on PS. The PS physical game sales (1st + 3rd party) also generated this quarter 7.41% of SIE's game software revenue or 3.72% of SIE's total revenue.

image.png

"Physical Software" and "digital software" are all PS5 game sales for both 1st and 3rd party games on PS4+PS5. Digital is like 5x times than the physical ones.

In the recent years there has been a multiple years long trend of physical game sales being replaced by digital sales in the gaming or console market: digital game sales increase and physical game sales decrease.

There's a more important trend: game sales revenue being replaced by add-ons revenue, the biggest and fastest growing segment in the mid/long term trend. Not only in PlayStation, but in all gaming platforms and in consoles too (PC and mobile are obviously mostly digital).

Notice there's also "add-on content" there, which is DLC+IAP+passes for all PS4+PS5 games. Which also is digital revenue and generates even more money than the digital game sales due to the huge success of GaaS games.

The "other software" section is the revenue made by SIE games in non-PS platforms (mostly PC, so mostly digital too), something they started a few years ago but it's growing and in a few years may be generating more money than PS physical game sales.

You also have to consider that Sony also makes a substantial amount of revenue coming from "network services" (game subs), also a digital revenue source that keeps growing every year.

These are the reasons of why publishers bet more on digital games, GaaS and game subs than before. Or why the new PS5 has a detachable disc reader.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They aren't close to 50/50, here you can see the last half and a year:

This quarter PS physical game sales (1st + 3rd party) were 15% of the total physical + digital game sales on PS. The PS physical game sales (1st + 3rd party) also generated this quarter 7.41% of SIE's game software revenue or 3.72% of SIE's total revenue.

image.png

"Physical Software" and "digital software" are all PS5 game sales for both 1st and 3rd party games on PS4+PS5. Digital is like 5x times than the physical ones.

In the recent years there has been a multiple years long trend of physical game sales being replaced by digital sales in the gaming or console market: digital game sales increase and physical game sales decrease.

There's a more important trend: game sales revenue being replaced by add-ons revenue, the biggest and fastest growing segment in the mid/long term trend. Not only in PlayStation, but in all gaming platforms and in consoles too (PC and mobile are obviously mostly digital).

Notice there's also "add-on content" there, which is DLC+IAP+passes for all PS4+PS5 games. Which also is digital revenue and generates even more money than the digital game sales due to the huge success of GaaS games.

The "other software" section is the revenue made by SIE games in non-PS platforms (mostly PC, so mostly digital too), something they started a few years ago but it's growing and in a few years may be generating more money than PS physical game sales.

You also have to consider that Sony also makes a substantial amount of revenue coming from "network services" (game subs), also a digital revenue source that keeps growing every year.

These are the reasons of why publishers bet more on digital games, GaaS and game subs than before. Or why the new PS5 has a detachable disc reader.
I think I was just getting Nintendo mixed up with the rest of the world, actually. Digital and physical are still neck and neck on Switch.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think I was just getting Nintendo mixed up with the rest of the world, actually. Digital and physical are still neck and neck on Switch.
Yep, in recent years the percentage of game sales that are digital also increased in Nintendo but Switch is the platform that as of now by far still has a huge percent of physical game sales. Digital sales in Switch were around 40% and now are around 45%. Maybe in a year or two will be 50%.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Blame that on the country you live and the companies and retailers. Not physical media.

Even with the pricing and limited stock in your country, physical game disc still has advantages.
No, it really doesn't, as you'd have to be able to get the games for physical to have a single advantage.

For example, Atlus games might as well not exist on any platform without a digital store prior to Persona 5 here.

And we won't even go into situations like the BlazeBlue game where the disc didn't even come out here because the publisher couldn't be bothered to print a bilingual slipcover.

Als, to a certain pussy, at least I post rather than just sulk and seethe like a little bitch!

• Peachy