• D

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I will say their communication on giving us a list of what's around the corner could be a hell of a lot better with a show or too. very poor communication.
Maybe there isn't much around the corner. If the problem ends up being just poor communication in the end I wont mind it as much but I doubt it is just that.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
For me it's a B

Pros
  • Great hardware and OS improvements over previous gen
  • Great lineup of accesories compared to previous gens
  • VR greatly improved
  • PS+ greatly improved
  • Cloud gaming greatly improved
  • BC greatly improved
  • Great first party lineup and 1st/3rd party console exclusives (including crossgen)
  • Great 3rd party support as usual, now also with cool Chinese and Korean games
  • They made several great acquisitions and grew their previous 1st party studios
  • Some of their IPs now they get movie/tv show adaptations
  • Launch aligned they got record revenue and profit for SIE compared to any previous generation, plus record revenue in all areas. They also sold more games than ever before, and almost more consoles than in PS4, but didn't achieve that due to the chips shortage and components pricing increase
Cons
  • AAA take forever to be done. Not their fault, but I'd have loved to see GTA6, ND's next game, GoT2, Bend's next game before
  • PS3 BC isn't technically possible to be done with good enough quality. I hope that some day we'll be able to play all games -even in disc- in a future PS console
  • Doesn't have new Wipeout or Motorstorm (understandable because it's due to low sales)
  • Due to insane inflation and price increase of components they had to increase prices

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
The Final Fantasy games are timed exclusives and are not developed by or even published by Sony. I don't consider them relevant to Playstation. The PS5 has a decent selection of 3rd party titles, I don't deny. I just mean Sony themselves aren't really doing much in terms of Japanese games. Stellar Blade was pretty cool though.
I just
I want Ape Escape, Freedom Wars, Gravity Rush, Dark Cloud, Okage: Shadow King, Legend of Dragoon...That sorta thing.
Fair enough. I was never into their Japanese content outside of team ICOs work to be fair, mostly got that from SE, Capcom, SEGA etc…. So I could see myself being dissapointed if I was into it. I really tried to enjoy gravity rush but it didn’t click for me unfortunately, here’s to hoping astrobot is a W and Asobi get the opportunity to expand

Reactions: TrishaCat

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
C

It can easily been a A/A-

But the lack of PS5 exclusive games from first party, lack of output from PS studios yes Sony own PS studios, the lack of games from key franchise PS needs to license ip (we should be getting a new ratchet & clank game every 2 year to see franchise growth rift apart is the best selling premium ratchet & clank game selling 5+ million, releasing on a console base of 20 million at the time)

Live service blunders. Live service isn’t bad but the way the route they went taking 1st party studio main teams to work on live service like how was that a smart decision? These studios should’ve had separated into singleplayer team & multiplayer team & heavily bolstering the multiplayer team or partnering w a 3rd party support studio to crank out content. Green lighting a twisted metal live service or green lighting London studio live service instead of a London GTA style game w maybe a live service component similar to GTA online would’ve been a better direction. SOCOM, PS allstars & a open world arcade Gran Turismo live service games are better games w better potential of success then previous mention.

The lack of investment in PS in general. Lack of singleplayer PS studios 1st party games solely buying live service studios (which isn’t bad) but PS should’ve bought new singleplayer studios or build new teams every PS studio should’ve turn to a minimum 2 team studio & reaching 3-4 teams to crank out games every 2 years like insomniac.

PC port kills all hype of PS exclusive or new reveals. PS future is dampened by the PC port. Makes migrating to other platforms like PC, Steamdeck or Nintendo much easier. Aswell as the lack of live shows that brought so many iconic live reaction videos w people loosing there minds to anything PS related like 3rd party exclusive or 1st party exclusive.

All of this makes the PS5 generation feel like I would’ve been better migrating to PC. Migrating to PC would’ve save me hundreds if not thousands by playing PS games on PC which has performance & at a cheaper price + having all the benefits of not more w more features being apply to the PC version.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
A when it comes to the hardware and -B when it comes to the games and D when it comes to announcing games, putting up a showcase and communicating with the fans

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
easily an A from me. This generation has been excellent and rivaling the PS1/PS2 days.

The games just keep on coming.

Reactions: ethomaz

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
C- because of the drop in quality and quantity of their first party output. Their focus on GAAS and PC ports are a middle finger for any fan born before the 00s.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Maybe there isn't much around the corner. If the problem ends up being just poor communication in the end I wont mind it as much but I doubt it is just that.
I am with you on the communication side of things; Sony, to be honest, might even need a solid F for failure.

I'm not happy with all this wasted time with GAAS development that they delved deep into, no matter which way you look at it, that has really held back stuff this year.

But yer, games, I believe, will be fine. As I said, Astro is still to come, and hopefully, we will be getting something tied to the PS5 Pro in terms of a new game release announcement. Something new and shiny has to be cooking.

• Cerny
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Been good so far but we need that 2017-2020 run where first party big dogs are firing on all cylinders

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
B+ for me. Tough to grade PlayStation 5 for the generation when there's over four years left to go. It's currently ahead of PlayStation 4 for me personally. Below are my completed games between 2013 launch through 2017 for PlayStation 4 and my completed games between 2020 through the first half of 2024 for PlayStation 5.

PlayStation 4
- Knack (6.0/10, 2013)
- Infamous: First Light (7.0/10, 2014)
- The Order: 1886 (7.0/10, 2015)
- Until Dawn (7.0/10, 2015)
- Alienation (8.5/10, 2016)
- Ratchet & Clank (8.5/10, 2016)
- Uncharted 4 (8.5/10, 2016)
- Shadow of the Beast (6.5/10, 2016)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (9.5/10, 2017)
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (9.5/10, 2017)
- Nex Machina: Death Machine (8.5/10, 2017)
- Matterfall (7.0/10, 2017)
- Knack II (7.5/10, 2017)

PlayStation 5
- Marvel's Spider Man: Miles Morales (9.0/10, 2020)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (9.0/10, 2021)
- Horizon Forbidden West (9.0/10, 2022)
- God of War Ragnarok (9.5/10, 2022)
- Marvel's Spider Man 2 (9.0/10, 2023)
- Rise of the Ronin (8.0/10, 2024)
- Stellar Blade (9.0/10, 2024)

PlayStation 4 gave me 13 games for an average rating of 7.7/10. PlayStation 5 has given me thus far 7 games for an average rating of 8.9/10. Higher quality games for me on PlayStation 5 but I had more quantity on PlayStation 4. This is for games published by Sony and doesn't include third party console exclusives such as Kena, FF XVI or Rebirth for PlayStation 5 or a few Yakuza games for PlayStation 4. Either way, PlayStation 5 is superior in quality but inferior in quantity, at least for me. The real challenge will be how the rest of the generation plays out.

PlayStation 4 between 2018 and 2020 with the stopping point being the day before PlayStation 5 launched.
- God of War (9.5/10, 2018)
- Detroit: Become Human (8.0/10, 2018)
- Marvel's Spider Man (9.0/10, 2018)
- Days Gone (9.5/10, 2019)
- The Last of Us Part II (8.5/10, 2020)
- Ghost of Tsushima (9.5/10, 2020)

PlayStation 5 future wise
- Astro Bot (September 2024)
- Lego Horizon Adventure (Fall 2024)
- Marvel's Wolverine
- Lost Soul Aside
- Marvel's Venom (unannounced)
- Cory Barlog's new IP (unannounced)
- Ghost of Tsushima 2 (unannounced)

I believe the second half of PlayStation 5 will be better for me than the second half of PlayStation 4 in quality and quantity but remains to be seen. As of now, I would rate PlayStation 5 a B+. Excluding Days Gone 2 not happening, I don't have any major negatives or complaints thus far. Bring on the second half of PlayStation 5 baby!!! 😂

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just a question (more curious)...

Why there is no "E"... you guys don't use it in US?
Here in Brazil we don't use the F... it is A, B, C, D and E... well that ws most public school in the past (I don't know if it changed here)... private school always used 0-10.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

Here in Brazil we don't use the F... it is A, B, C, D and E... well that ws most public school in the past (I don't know if it changed here)... private school always used 0-10.
F stands for a failing grade

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I am with you on the communication side of things; Sony, to be honest, might even need a solid F for failure.

I'm not happy with all this wasted time with GAAS development that they delved deep into, no matter which way you look at it, that has really held back stuff this year.

But yer, games, I believe, will be fine. As I said, Astro is still to come, and hopefully, we will be getting something tied to the PS5 Pro in terms of a new game release announcement. Something new and shiny has to be cooking.
Yea this is all facts. It’s odd how their communication went straight to the gutter, sharp turn because the first few years of PS4 they were fantastic on this front.

If I had to guess it’s simply a branding strategy, mysteriousness tends to garner attention.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom and Sircaw

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

There's lots of stories about it but they generally boil down to some version of "E means excellent (or excused) and F means fail."

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony gets a D this generation. They had everything perfectly set up for them to dominate and they threw it all away. They had a few bangers this gen like Ragnarok and Returnal, that’s the only reason why they don’t get an F.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony gets a D this generation. They had everything perfectly set up for them to dominate and they threw it all away. They had a few bangers this gen like Ragnarok and Returnal, that’s the only reason why they don’t get an F.
But they are dominating lol

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Better then PS4 so an A+ Gran Turismo 7 is the best racer ever made, Horizon Forbidden West is the best WRPG ever made and either 1 of those is worth a PS5 alone.

Reactions: Puff