Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

How do you rate the State of play?

• A

Votes: 29 38.7%
  • B

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • C

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • D

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You needed to read and learn it because you were totally wrong. Like in this reply.

You are totally wrong, Team Asobi (previously known as Japan Studio Asobi! Team) never has been a separate company or even office than Japan Studio.

It always was one of the Japan Studio internal development teams who worked together in the same office with the other teams, and like in the other teams most of their members rotated from a Japan Studio team to another Japan Studio team as needed.

Playroom VR, Astro Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom have absutely nothing to do with augmented reality stuff. Only The Playroom (their first of theri 4 projects) did, which btw was codeveloped by Firesprite, featured AR.

Team Asobi was the Japan Studio team that researched and prototyped with upcoming tech and sometimes some of them ended being shipped as a tech demos & minigmes showcase collections or in the case of the Astro games, in proper games.

The Team Asobi staff who worked in Astro's Playroom had people who also worked in other Japan Studio games like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Knack, Knack II, LocoRoco, LocoRoco 2, LocoRoco: Remastered, PlayStation Move: Ape Escape, Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed, Ape Quest, Siren Blood Curse, Forbidden Siren 2, Gravity Rush, Gravity Rush 2, Gravity Rush Remastered, Puppeteer, The Edge of Judgement, Kung Fu Rider, The Legend of Dragoon, WTF: work time fun or Vib-Ripple. Plus supporting a few 2nd party games and in Demon's Souls remake.

The Team Asobi staff who worked in Rescue Mission had people who worked on Demon's Souls remake, Gravity Rush, Gravity Rush 2, Gravity Rush Remastered, Knack, Knack II, Puppeteer, SotC, The Last Guardian, Edge of Judgmement, Legend of Dragoon, Locoroco, Locoroco 2, Appe Escape: Pumped & Primed. Plus supporting some 2nd party games and Demon's Souls remake.

In addition to Doucet there are a couple of exceptions of people who came from outside, like the art director of both games, who previously worked in Run Sackboy! Run!, Wipeout 2048, Motorstorm Apoclypse and Artic Edge, Wipeout HD & Fury, Wipeout Pulse and as support in Killzone 2, and the composer worked in many western games, most of them being Media Molecule games.

When Japan Studio got restructured all their internal development teams were merged into one of them: Team Asobi, and branched out their XDEV team out to give them their own studio/office. This means that right now they have even more people in Team Asobi who worked in non-Team Asobi Japan Studio games.

You're the desilusional one if you think that a boss of a company can't shut it down.

These long ass unnecessary thesis..

Nowhere in my comment did I ever say Asobi started out separate from Japan Studios. I said they started out a start up WITHIN JAPAN STUDIOS IN 2012 you're literally here typing out these unnecessary long laundry list responses in hopes of being right, when 90% of what you keep mentioning has no correlation to anything.

And lastly Hermen is not the boss he reports to someone. You're delusional if you think he can kill one of Sony's most prestigious and important studios, oh because he simply wants to. Especially when they Polyphony has ties way outside of Playstation... And partnerships with basically every major car manufacturer... Get real. You're showing you have no clue how business works.

Wouldn't be surprised if they are a behind the scenes consultant on Sony's new car too.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
To those who claim "no first party was shown" Did you not see Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Silent Hill, Helldivers 2, Death Stranding 2, Physint? Then you have FF7R SoP next week?

Why I said specifically no PS studios was shown.

I think exclusives wise this is the strongest they have been since Ps2.
PS3/PS4 had alot more
Their techincal powerhouses (Guerrila, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac & SMS) will return towards the end of the generation and put the cherry on top.
Thats really not good enough. They were alot more active in PS3/PS4
They should be like Insomniac

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
To those who claim "no first party was shown" Did you not see Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Silent Hill, Helldivers 2, Death Stranding 2, Physint? Then you have FF7R SoP next week? Sony doesn't need to own those companies for them to "count", that's a narrative that only works to benefit Microsoft and their bloated ass dev roster. So you guys not remember Ps2 era Sony? It wasn't their in house games that made it popular, it was the absolute chokehold they had the rest of the industry in. Today's Sony is very much reminiscent of that, I think exclusives wise this is the strongest they have been since Ps2. Their techincal powerhouses (Guerrila, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac & SMS) will return towards the end of the generation and put the cherry on top.
Precisely 🔥. It was delightful, to see Sony Playstation being back to PS2 era full-force domination, ruling the whole industry with their Tekken Iron Fist, after dark days of PS3 era. When Sony Playstation in rule, Japanese and East Asian developers thrived, blessing us with many fantastic games. You love to see it 🔥.

Reactions: voke

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
They do not show up to sop to reveal games. Not a single ps studio have ever done that. Give an A u can’t give them a B base on a unrealistic expectation.
I'm rating based on my excitement. If I didn't know about death stranding 2 it would be a s+

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I want to change my vote to a B, I was mad that DS2 is a 2025 game but now looking at the entire event as a whole it was kinda huge.

Kojima PS6 game is actually a huge announcement for the future, I like announcements with a little more substance but I rather this than secrecy, I hope Hermen Hulsy keeps this energy going forward.

The lack of Factions killing Sony's second half of 2024 lineup.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Since it was a state of play and not a showcase I would give it a B. Lots of big games shown there. The highlights for me were Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2 and the announcement of a new ip from Kojima for Playstation

Reactions: Kokoloko