[Redfall] 70% of Arkane Austin have left the company - Jason Schreier

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So? The game could've still been cancelled, but MS canned the PS5 version and let the studio ran rampart, releasing the turd. It's on MS.
Forspoken is a SQUARE-ENIX game, a COMPLETE GAME with not many bugs, it might not be a good game but it isn't a TURD.
Sony is NOT RESPONSIBLE for Forspoken, they have absolutely no say in the development and release of the game. Square is not owned by Sony, unlike Zenimax and Arkane, which are owned by MS.
Nice damage control.
Why bother. Just put on ignore. It's intentionally being obtuse.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So you have a bunch of predictions that Xbox games are doomed but you have issues with me being concerned with ND having one of their games "delayed".
No, I only have the prediction that 2 projects will have a hard time leaving the traditional model they had in the past and moving to GaaS for their only game because I know key staff left from both and that one of these studios cancelled 2 projects in recent years. Plus that in their same publisher had similar issues in other GaaS and non-GaaS studios and games.

I don't say these studios or their publisher/platform holder is doomed. Even if unlike Sony let's say they don't have a super profitable gaming business.

Totally unrelated to Sony's/ND's case. With the exception of Destruction All Stars, the other Sony GaaS have been very successful and Sony has their main focus on traditional games, in most cases of their upcoming GaaS are from teams with a top tier success in GaaS and in the cases that don't, they have the support of the top tier folks.

Regarding the specific ND example, in addition to the GaaS games they also make traditional non-GaaS games. Like their most recent one, which was back then the fastest selling PS exclusive ever and the most awarded (in GOTY awards) game ever.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What Sony GaaS have been successful?
Some examples: Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2, PlayStation Home, Gran Turismo 7, MLB 21, MLB 22, Destiny 2

Regarding PS Home, because I assume someone in the forum as usual will think that because since they personally didn't like it the project was a failure:

It got over 6 years of updates and over 40 million users.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Who are all these dormant accounts coming up suddenly. Are we infested by bots?

Kinda weird to pin the blame solely on Microsoft though? If anything Microsoft should have scaled back this game and not rush announce it, they way they did knowing the shape it would be in.
They used it as their big one more thing game and show opener, first $70 game next-gen showcase. They should get some responsibility, no?

24 Jun 2022
This is exactly why I have such a major problem with Microsoft acquiring big publishers. They are taking on way too much, and you're seeing the bleed-out as a result. This proves that the actual developers rarely have a say in these publishers being bought because if they did in Zenimax's case, I feel they would have rejected such a purchase, even if their then-current owner was a money-hungry dick.

They as a publisher were a rock caught in a hard place, so I guess at the time Microsoft seemed like an angel or a savior. Seems like reality set in sooner rather than later and many talent have been leaving various Zenimax studios, but nothing to the degree of Arkane Austin. Explains a lot as to why RedFall was so unfinished, even with a year's delay.

FWIW I think Sony needs to be careful how they handle Naughty Dog with Factions 2, because if you have a veteran studio with tons of talent both skilled and preferring to work on single-player games, if you force any of those individuals to work on a GaaS they may not like it and could decide to leave. The chances of that are very low because there aren't many other studios in the industry as prestigious or collectively talented as Naughty Dog, but it's still something to consider.

That said, it's a very different problem to what Microsoft are going through, because a lot of their exoduses have occurred right around the time of the ABK acquisition getting pushed hard. I genuinely feel some departures are over personal reasons WRT maybe knowing ABK employees and feeling it's wrong Microsoft are giving Bobby Kotick and other higher-ups an escape route and a payday, considering the toxic environment they let fester at ABK for years. Others probably feel that they would be squeezed out of some limelight focus within Microsoft Gaming if ABK is in fact acquired, or feel their needs at current weren't being met because MS is "distracted" with ABK.

There's lots of reasons, but none of these departures on Microsoft's watch are a good look, especially this Arkane Austin one.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
I never claimed it was good

Youre lying and this constant dragging this thread into forspoken has to stop

Hey Bryant can we get rid of this guy? Hes anoying
So stop talking about it. Hopefully Bryant takes a look at this thread and sends you on a vacation.

Anyway, back to the topic. Redfall should have been released as early access.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge
D

Deleted member 417

Studio does well - Phil Spencer is a genius. Amazing game. Another one.gif stacked years

Studio does bad - Sony's fault, it was going to happen anyway. Nothing Microsoft could do. Sonypony fakenews

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I guess I have to be glad that Sony has bought Bungie and that they, basically, canned Factions 2 and ND is mostly on board with a new Single Player game.
This should be the right approach. Kill the game if it's trash instead of forcing a turd out of the door.

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel
24 Jun 2022
343 - Halo Infinite
Playground - Forza Horizon 5
Bethesda - Fallout 76 / Elder Scrolls Online

The next ones will be:
Turn 10 - Forza Motorsport
The Coalition - Gears 6

Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom, GTAV, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7 or Horizon Forbidden West were also delayed too. Are they failed games to you too?

Most of the games in the industry get delayed, which doesn't mean they are failed projects at all. It only means the games required some extra time more than the one they originally planned, something normal because creative work isn't something can be planned like the production in a factory.

Please, stop with this nonsensical Sony hate spam.

I don't remember Tears of the Kingdom having such development problems that necessitated a delay to salvage the project. Same goes for Ragnarok, GT7 and HFW. But, that's what has apparently happened with Factions 2. Deny the difference as much as you want but it's there.

Yeah Nhomnhom has been heavy doomer with PS of late but given the state Factions 2 is in and the reasons for its delay, we can at least say it's internally failed in a way during development. The game itself may be perfectly sound in design as-is but it didn't meet Sony's requirements for monetization of a GaaS. That is the big goal on the publisher's end; the game was assessed and determined did not meet that requirement. That's a fail. One they can correct going forward, doesn't mean the fail didn't happen at some point however.

Some examples: Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2, PlayStation Home, Gran Turismo 7, MLB 21, MLB 22, Destiny 2

Regarding PS Home, because I assume someone in the forum as usual will think that because since they personally didn't like it the project was a failure:

It got over 6 years of updates and over 40 million users.

LBP, LBP2, GT7, and the MLB games are more 'traditional' single-player/co-op games with live-service elements and MP included. You can play them perfectly fine without ever needing to go online (outside of patch updates).

PlayStation Home was not necessarily "successful"; the idea was great and so was the implementation, but it never blew up into anything super-popular and I think had it been a better commercial success, Sony would have continued it with the PS4. Destiny 2 is an inherited success of Bungie's making, can't credit that one to Sony.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Thread has been Cleaned and People removed.
Stick to the Topic of the Threads please.
I Dont Think So No Way GIF by UFC

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Bethesda was already a mess and MS is not the type of company suited to fix those problems. I have no faith in any of their studios inducing the other Arkane, id and Bethesda.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Bethesda was already a mess and MS is not the type of company suited to fix those problems. I have no faith in any of their studios inducing the other Arkane, id and Bethesda.
Activision is an even bigger mess with lawsuits and unions involved. How are they going to "fix" that if they can't even fix a small studio with less than 100 people?

Reactions: Nhomnhom