Report: Sony "to secure an additional $8 billion-ish dollars for proactive Merger & Acquisitions"

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Got a good point, an eye for an eye but still they have been fighting for this to be blocked, now they want to buy companies, and you know what I hate Xbox right now but I hope when it does happen I hope to God that they do exactly what Sony did and fight this in Supreme Court in America. I would 30% agree with you but when Sony has been complaining to the government about the "unfairness" of Xbox buying Activision. It's very hypocritical.

While I agree with you, and don’t want Sony to go after publishers in general (Never been there style in the last 2 and a 1/2 decades)
I just think they should buy one first please lol, just to even out the classic IP front. Not a Rockstar, EA or Activision. But a Bethesda or smaller publisherI mean MS bought ElderScrolls, Fallout, Doom, Quake etc Some big time classics. I think Playstation and Nintendo should do the same, to secure certain IPS.

But personally if MS doesnt go after another publisher, then Im fine with Sony never buying a publisher, as long as they spend it on expanding their own studios like before.

I think the complaint is mostly ( well from me anyway not just Sony ), MS just bought Bethesda, bought Minecraft, they bought Ninja Theory who PS worked with exclusively with before and Obsidian which we had previous games. Also And now you going after 80billion dollar company called Activision With loads of classic IPS, which MS never created.

Why it should be questioned or blocked at anytime is… well where will MS stop? If they are allowed to buy huge publishers every year not from their own division (Xbox profits) MS would easily own the market with a Quick few more purchases. It won‘t look like it because the market is so huge and shared with “mobile” but buying a few key publishers could not only change the tides of the market, but make it impossible for anyone to compete.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Yep. Hopefully no1 buys a publisher after Bethesda. For platform holders that is lol
Sony will need to respond that. Microsoft can’t just have all RPG studios and Sony continue to watch losing access to more franchises. I mean who cares about Xbox? Microsoft also doesn’t care about PlayStation when they buy publishers. If Sony looks to close their gap in RPGs, Square Enix will be the right answer.

Reactions: Umar and JohnnyLove

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Regarding when Sony will spin-off the financial division and start selling around 80% of it, the timing has not been determined but estimate in the next 2-3 years:

image.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/strategy/pdf/2023/press_E.pdf

Sony will need to respond that. Microsoft can’t just have all RPG studios and Sony continue to watch losing access to more franchises.
Sony responded with the releases of exclusives like Ratchet, Returnal, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok or soon Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth to name a few.

I'm pretty sure that after seeing the first MS Bethesda exclusive, Redfall, Jim Ryan and Hermen are crying. But not sure if because of the laughing.

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Tired Rabbit GIF

So tired of the buyouts crap FFS.

And @Yurinka is right, this is old and baseless gossip. MS must be recycling it for their nipponophobic propaganda.

Reactions: nongkris

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You seem to really not like the idea of Playstation making major acquisitions
I'd love to see Sony making big acquisitions.

But Sony moved most of the money they had in their budget for acquisitions for the current fiscal to be spent elsewhere (image sensors division and servers), leaving only around $140M-$150M in the budget. And said they'll continue with acquisitions in the medium-long term.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Shuhei Yoshida had lunch with the folks from a support studio from Malaysia (not the support studio owned by Sony that they have there) who worked in Wolong, HiFi Rush, Forspoken, TLOUP1, Ratchet Rift Apart, Demon's Souls Remake, Spider-Man Morales+Remastered, TLOU2, FFVII Remake, Death Stranding, Mortal Kombat 11, Diablo III, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Tekken 7, multiple CoD games, multiple Gears of War, multiple Blizzard games, Gravity Rush 2, Dark Souls 2 and 3, Bloodborne, different NBA 2K and Need for Speed games, among others.

Yoshida no longer works in 1st party games, and doesn't work in acquisitions. He works supporting indies so pretty likely casually found them in the other side of the world and had lunch with them.

But if some day Sony needs to buy another support studio this can be a good candidate:
https://www.lemonskystudios.com/project-timeline/

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I'm not a fan of acquisitions that have no established synergy. However, the war is on and it's acquire or lose out to the other side. Have at you!

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Would be a good acquisition for gaming but I think Witcher has been juiced already in the cross-media area.

Heisenberg doesn't know anything BTW. He was part of our discord for a long time.
Would be good if Sony could get the licenses to television away from Netflix, to make a proper production instead of the borderline CW fair it is today.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
CDPR $2.6B market cap right now, it's a steal. TW3 sold 40m+ copies and despite the disaster that was Cyberpunk it still sold 20m+. It's also a studio that isn't too dependent on a single person like Hidetaka Miyazaki and would allow Sony to leverage the cheaper costs of having a studio in Eastern Europe.

CDPR is the poor's man Rockstar with a lot of room for improvement with better management.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
CDPR $2.6B market cap right now, it's a steal. TW3 sold 40m+ copies and despite the disaster that was Cyberpunk it still sold 20m+. It's also a studio that isn't too dependent on a single person like Hidetaka Miyazaki and would allow Sony to leverage the cheaper costs of having a studio in Eastern Europe.
That's why they won't sell, short of their day to day becoming unsustainable

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom